What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watched Iron Maiden Flight 666 last night. Rime of the Ancient Mariner, after they come out of the break in the middle of the song, then they crank it back up... that part in particular is just heavy metal awesomeness. crank it up as loud as your system can handle! you will love it

watched Iron Maiden Flight 666 last night. Rime of the Ancient Mariner, after they come out of the break in the middle of the song, then they crank it back up... that part in particular is just heavy metal awesomeness. crank it up as loud as your system can handle! you will love it
That disc gets repeated viewings at my house. Love it. Both the documentary itself but also the ability to watch the complete songs without the documentary bits. My favorite is Hallowed Be Thy Name, just an epic way to end a show.

That disc gets repeated viewings at my house. Love it. Both the documentary itself but also the ability to watch the complete songs without the documentary bits. My favorite is Hallowed Be Thy Name, just an epic way to end a show.
yeah that one works very well to finish the concert portion of the disc. i usually watch The Trooper, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave and Hallowed Be Thy Name

Got this at Criterion's half-price sale.
The upgrade in sound/fidelity for this is impressive. It's great for demoing how different various mixes can be. I love showing the Mamas & Papas set in stereo, then switching to the remixed stereo, then switching to the remixed 5.1 for the uninitiated. Then i go and pick up their jaw off the floor.

Dont have it yet but I bought a dvd copy of the Concert For George. DTS surround on dvd sounds fine to me and I understand the bluray video version is not leaps and bounds better than the standard definition. Its priced too high as a collectible now while dvd copies are reasonable.

Dont have it yet but I bought a dvd copy of the Concert For George. DTS surround on dvd sounds fine to me and I understand the bluray video version is not leaps and bounds better than the standard definition. Its priced too high as a collectible now while dvd copies are reasonable.
I was fortunate to get a copy of the 2CD/2BD set for A$30 through Amazon.au, having owned the DVD originally. I consider the Blu-ray to be far superior on my system!

Just watched Roger Waters’ In The Flesh (great DVD by the way). I noticed Doyle Bramhill II as a left hander plays a guitar strung for a right hander. Karl Wallinger of World Party does as well. Anyone know of others?
Otis Rush

A couple of days ago I watched Thin Lizzy-Live And Dangerous. 5.1 surround, aspect ratio with side black bar.
Surround sound about as weak as possible, not the greatest camera work, grainy as not blu ray quality, but it was Thin Lizzy and they kicked ass.

Fish - Vigil's End, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray mix by Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh, only a few songs in but it seems a decent mix to me, Fish's vocals front and centre, the music all around, right at the start there are voices coming from and moving around "up there". The back cover calls it a BLU-RAY DVD Hmm don't know what that is, and there seems to be a heck of a lot on it.
EDIT: I just had to add that OMG listen to the guitar solo at the end of Cliché, fantastic, I love it, I'm a huge fan of John Mitchell and follow many of the groups he's involved with, I had no clue he was on this tour otherwise I'd have made more of an effort to go see them.

20221221_104606.jpg
Vigil Bk.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of days ago I watched Thin Lizzy-Live And Dangerous. 5.1 surround, aspect ratio with side black bar.
Surround sound about as weak as possible, not the greatest camera work, grainy as not blu ray quality, but it was Thin Lizzy and they kicked ass.
proof the actual content is the most important thing of all and not everything we love will sound or look the best but we can still enjoy it for what it is 💘

Fish - Vigil's End, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray mix by Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh, only a few songs in but it seems a decent mix to me, Fish's vocals front and centre, the music all around, right at the start there are voices coming from and moving around "up there". The back cover calls it a BLU-RAY DVD Hmm don't know what that is, and there seems to be a heck of a lot on it.

This Is the green light I was waiting for, Sven

Fish - Vigil's End, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray mix by Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh, only a few songs in but it seems a decent mix to me, Fish's vocals front and centre, the music all around, right at the start there are voices coming from and moving around "up there". The back cover calls it a BLU-RAY DVD Hmm don't know what that is, and there seems to be a heck of a lot on it.View attachment 86509View attachment 86510
I loved his last album and I see some songs from that on this, any links to order, none on Amazon US.

Fish - Vigil's End, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray mix by Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh, only a few songs in but it seems a decent mix to me, Fish's vocals front and centre, the music all around, right at the start there are voices coming from and moving around "up there". The back cover calls it a BLU-RAY DVD Hmm don't know what that is, and there seems to be a heck of a lot on it.View attachment 86509View attachment 86510
Mine has arrived and onto 'The Pile'. The Alternative UK Tour Set is interesting as I was at the Frome gig! Its a shame he won't be touring again (due to very bad arthritis) and is retiring, a great front man, really entertains. I'd love it if he just recorded more albums but sadly I don't think he will.

Finally finished ripping all of my DVDs and Blu Rays (this has been ongoing almost constantly for many months now) and am now just ready to plow through a lot of watching on Saturday mornings. Kicked it off today with ELP and Pictures at an Exhibition 1970.

IMG_3290.JPG

I spent a lot of time with the 1970-77 studio run growing up, but the Pictures album just never got its hooks into me although I tried multiple times. This concert is certainly a great artifact to have from their prime period although I wouldn't say the material is their best output or best example of what they were capable of.

Lots of wacky filming techniques typical of the time period, a "fake" 5.1 mix that is just ambiance in the rears but inoffensive—the overall fidelity of the audio isn't great to begin with. A curiosity worth checking out if you're a fan though... but I have to say two things about it: there's an extended section in the first 1/3 where Lake is playing some truly inspired and beautiful classical guitar on an old Gibson acoustic, which really made me sit up and appreciate once again what a talent he was, it's really beautiful. Of course, this segment is directly followed by Emerson jumping around the stage with his sliding Moog controller or whatever that thing was in what is now just a laugh-out-loud Spinal Tap kinda moment, in his shiny sequined suit with no shirt on and a too-small jacket, making all these batty sounds and rubbing the thing on his crotch... just unbelievable. :LOL:

They don't make 'em like this anymore though, that's for sure. 🙌

Finally finished ripping all of my DVDs and Blu Rays (this has been ongoing almost constantly for many months now) and am now just ready to plow through a lot of watching on Saturday mornings. Kicked it off today with ELP and Pictures at an Exhibition 1970.

View attachment 87132

I spent a lot of time with the 1970-77 studio run growing up, but the Pictures album just never got its hooks into me although I tried multiple times. This concert is certainly a great artifact to have from their prime period although I wouldn't say the material is their best output or best example of what they were capable of.

Lots of wacky filming techniques typical of the time period, a "fake" 5.1 mix that is just ambiance in the rears but inoffensive—the overall fidelity of the audio isn't great to begin with. A curiosity worth checking out if you're a fan though... but I have to say two things about it: there's an extended section in the first 1/3 where Lake is playing some truly inspired and beautiful classical guitar on an old Gibson acoustic, which really made me sit up and appreciate once again what a talent he was, it's really beautiful. Of course, this segment is directly followed by Emerson jumping around the stage with his sliding Moog controller or whatever that thing was in what is now just a laugh-out-loud Spinal Tap kinda moment, in his shiny sequined suit with no shirt on and a too-small jacket, making all these batty sounds and rubbing the thing on his crotch... just unbelievable. :LOL:

They don't make 'em like this anymore though, that's for sure. 🙌
You must have been working like a mad dog Rusty, to get caught up! I know you enjoy surround as much as anyone here, with a large collection in tow. Me and @DuncanS are soul mates in that regard; as we’ve got stacks of stuff, just waiting to crack the seal and hear for the first time.

I was fortunate to see EL&P live in the mid 70’s and it was the loudest show I’ve ever been to (unfortunately not one of the surround shows.) The bass levels were just earth shaking; so when playing their live music, be sure to crank it till the walls shake for a more realistic experience :)

🍻

Back