What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have been working like a mad dog Rusty, to get caught up! I know you enjoy surround as much as anyone here, with a large collection in tow. Me and @DuncanS are soul mates in that regard; as we’ve got stacks of stuff, just waiting to crack the seal and hear for the first time.

I was fortunate to see EL&P live in the mid 70’s and it was the loudest show I’ve ever been to (unfortunately not one of the surround shows.) The bass levels were just earth shaking; so when playing their live music, be sure to crank it till the walls shake for a more realistic experience :)

🍻
Ha, my aunt saw hundreds of concerts back in the day and said the same thing, that they were the loudest thing she ever experienced and that was really saying something! I caught them in '92 at Jones Beach in NY; they weren't nearly as loud but it was a great night. :D

Yeah man, luckily with working form home a few days a week, I've just been feeding discs in and out in the background without pause whenever I'm able, and when I finally chewed through the last one on Monday, wow what a sense of relief. =) JRiver now tells me I've got 44 days of solid viewing ahead of me. Yowza.

It was also really interesting to see which ones were starting to get a bit finicky (blu rays, mainly) and I'm glad I got them backed up before they might go bad. Lee Ritenour's Overtime comes to mind, that one did NOT want to cooperate! Finally got there though.

Finally finished ripping all of my DVDs and Blu Rays (this has been ongoing almost constantly for many months now) and am now just ready to plow through a lot of watching on Saturday mornings. Kicked it off today with ELP and Pictures at an Exhibition 1970.

View attachment 87132

I spent a lot of time with the 1970-77 studio run growing up, but the Pictures album just never got its hooks into me although I tried multiple times. This concert is certainly a great artifact to have from their prime period although I wouldn't say the material is their best output or best example of what they were capable of.

Lots of wacky filming techniques typical of the time period, a "fake" 5.1 mix that is just ambiance in the rears but inoffensive—the overall fidelity of the audio isn't great to begin with. A curiosity worth checking out if you're a fan though... but I have to say two things about it: there's an extended section in the first 1/3 where Lake is playing some truly inspired and beautiful classical guitar on an old Gibson acoustic, which really made me sit up and appreciate once again what a talent he was, it's really beautiful. Of course, this segment is directly followed by Emerson jumping around the stage with his sliding Moog controller or whatever that thing was in what is now just a laugh-out-loud Spinal Tap kinda moment, in his shiny sequined suit with no shirt on and a too-small jacket, making all these batty sounds and rubbing the thing on his crotch... just unbelievable. :LOL:

They don't make 'em like this anymore though, that's for sure. 🙌
Where can I get a copy of Pictures video?

B24A6B47-A2CF-4187-9B62-15D95431D3F9.jpeg

Really enjoyed this one! Excellent mix and video! Reasonably priced! If you’re a Clapton fan it’s a no brainer!

Watching U2 360° live at The Rose Bowl (2009) on Blu Ray. Like every time I've seen them live (10 times?), and pretty much every show of theirs I've ever watched, pretty close to a religious experience. Surround is just a typical live presentation but fills the room nicely... the band interaction on the stage is awesome and warm, and both band and crowd are in an elevated, ecstatic mood. Great set list, and I'm just finding myself involuntarily smiling and head-bobbing.

IMG_3390.JPG

While they/Bono can be polarizing and ham-fisted at times, and have been even for me over the years, whenever I've sat in the arena with my arms folded, not yet sold on the latest album, asking in my head "eh, go ahead and try to convince me, U2", I'm convinced 30 seconds into the first song.

I believe firmly that when all is said and done with them, they will be celebrated as one of the best, if not the best, live bands that ever walked the earth. Not that they haven't had plenty of recognition, but I'm talking critical as well as the diehards... when this band calls it quits I think even their consistent critics will realize this was something very, very special. They can turn a stadium into a small club in a way I'm not sure anyone else can. Maybe Springsteen the closest. Of course the fact that you've got four people that have achieved something absolutely insane together, and have been friends since they were in their early teens and unlike SO many, if not almost all, other people in that scenario, there's never been any falling out, replacing members, etc.—their story arc and continued friendship heavily contributes to the epic. Whatever it is, I'm still in.

I do feel like Bono's memoir and solo shows, the associated recordings, etc., have the strong feel of a career capping victory lap to them... and we know Larry is in rough physical shape... feels like they may be coming in for a landing soon. We'll see I suppose. But they've left us with a body of work that, if not always musically groundbreaking (though they certainly had their moments), is something truly transcendent and greater than the sum of the parts.

Last edited:
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds.
As I recall, I bought the Blu-ray on Amazon, and the listing said it was some region other than my own, but I bought it anyway, and my Oppo 105 had no problems with it. The performance is not exactly as it was on the LP, (Richard Burton is no longer available to narrate, for example), and Jeff's conducting looks more like dancing, but it's still an awesome performance!

Woodstock
Again, an Amazon purchase, and the cheapest one came from Italy. So some of the cover art is not in English, but the entire Blu-ray, including all the extras, is original English. I had to jailbreak my Oppo, though. Sound quality is as spotty as ever, being a live recording in 1969, but it holds up well.

Concert for George
The first half, which is Indian music, isn't all that accessible to me, although it's pleasant enough. Of course, the rock half is quite familiar, and one shot shows three geezers (like me!) on drum kits! Remarkable music, and definitely one that will always be a beloved part of my collection.

Rick Wakeman The Six Wives of Henry VIII
An expanded edition of the original LP, with familiar music and some more that's quite good as well. The narrator clearly felt it wasn't worth his time to prepare for the event, and that diminishes the performance somewhat, but it's still damn fine Wakeman, which is saying a lot.

Watching this show by Djabe and Steve Hackett, which arrived today.

Live In Gyór

Check this out! LIVE IN GYOR 2CD + BLU RAY EDITION: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

I'm really digging this.
Just everything about it is superb.
So much talent.

Steve is really right at home with the music of Djabe.
Not surprising when he is surrounded by these wonderful musicians.

Watching this show by Djabe and Steve Hackett, which arrived today.

Live In Gyór

Check this out! LIVE IN GYOR 2CD + BLU RAY EDITION: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

I'm really digging this.
Just everything about it is superb.
So much talent.

Steve is really right at home with the music of Djabe.
Not surprising when he is surrounded by these wonderful musicians.
Just got my copy today from importcds. Wowsers! Most excellent. Superb indeed!!I wish every concert on Blu ray was like this. These guys are the bomb 🤩

Back