• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

What defines a Quad Mixer?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

elguapo511

What exactly is a Quad Mixer?

I have Tascam m-106 audio mixer with four separate outputs, but i can only send a signal or an odd or even out put, so, its more like dual stereo output.

Do they make mixers where each channel can go to any output, but stereod betwen the rest if needed.

Alex

Bonzodog

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Here is such a console from the glory days of quad.
It has 24 inputs, so 24 microphones, keyboards, drum machines or whatever can be plugged in and the recording would be made to a 16 or 24 track.

Then the console would be switched to mix mode. The channel strips that were used for recording would now be used for mixing.
The tracks are mixed to “mix busses”.

https://mackie.com/blog/what-mix-bus

This console has 16 mix busses. As you can read, it has quad, stereo, cue and overdub mix busses.

What you have is a 6 input console with two stereo busses. It does not have a quad bus.

It was popular with college radio stations. With 2 stereo busses it is easy to do a "mix minus" for call in shows.

Attachments

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
What exactly is a Quad Mixer?

I have Tascam m-106 audio mixer with four separate outputs, but i can only send a signal or an odd or even out put, so, its more like dual stereo output.

Do they make mixers where each channel can go to any output, but stereod betwen the rest if needed.

Alex
Yep. Every channel has a joystick control instead of just a pan pot.

Some of the early analog boards would have had limited joystick buses that you could assign channels to. Now in the digital age, you assign joystick controls on mixing board in your DAW to any channel you please. You often still have mono and stereo signals in the mix and might route directly to a channel or channel pair. But you could have literally every channel of the board with a joystick "pan" outputting to your 4.0 or 5.1 mix bus.

Jim the Oldbie

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a Yamaha 01V96v2 console (owner's manual link) that has a surround mix mode that is configurable in various ways. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've never actually messed with this feature; I only ever used this board for live sound in stereo. In other areas it's a bit outdated, feature-wise, but the sound is still very transparent even by today's standards.

Lately I've been thinking about dragging all my old keyboards & mix gear out of closets & attic, setting it all up in a spare bedroom, and finding out what kind of noises, interesting or otherwise, I can make (maybe even record) with it. If this ever comes to pass, I'll definitely be trying some surround mixes with the old Yamaha.

Last edited:

jimfisheye

Or you could just mix in a DAW and focus on the mix instead of the challenges of earlier technology. (Unless that experience is the point of course.)
I still recommend Reaper. :)

jimfisheye

Is a tascam m-30 a quad mixer?
Looks like a baby small format stereo mixer when I look it up. Every search comes up with the little 8 channel stereo board.

Are you interested in this as history elguapo511?
If you were actually looking for a mixing board to use... go DAW. Unless you want to spend absurd money for the experience of the troubles with old tech of course! The very same DAW app you use for stereo work can be used just as easily for surround. Most modern DAWs have you pick the joystick panner plugin of your choice. Some DAWs have a default surround panner just like they do for the default stereo pan pot. (Protools used to do that. Maybe what's left of them still do.) Reaper defaults to you choosing and inserting your own surround panner plugin. They include two stock choices to use. Waves and other 3rd party plugin makers have their own panner plugins available. Not sure what Logic Audio Hell is up to these days.

Now you've got me curious what analog boards might be out there with built in joystick panners. I think it was more the case of having a few external panner units that could be patched into a bus when you needed to create motion for a track source. That's how Floyd's live system was setup back in the day.