• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'd love for it to be the self titled Eagles album. Unreleased and Popular, so I'm sure it'd sell well. If not that, then something really interesting.

Truth be told, I was a little disappointed with the Aretha disc. The reason being I had JUST downloaded a very nice conversion of the reel. Still, I supported them in hopes to see more.

I really hope that thread about layoffs doesn't spell the end of the Quadio series. I'm really hoping they put out something great, especially with Christmas just around the corner. Three titles in one year ain't bad!

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I seem to remember John from Rhino being excited when he found out that ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" had been a quadraphonic album (can't seem to find that post, though). I'll vote for that as the next release.

J. D.

Almen

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I seem to remember John from Rhino being excited when he found out that ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" had been a quadraphonic album (can't seem to find that post, though).
Yeah, I remember that, too. But on the other hand that means that there might be some time before it is available.

I vote for (and hope for) Close to the Edge. That was one of the first he mentioned.

ClarkNovak

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
DVD-A is dead for the major labels. Sorry, but that's the way it is. DTS is, realistically, the best we can expect, and let's be honest - it's pretty damn good.

Back on topic: I think the Doobies' "Stampede" would be a great next title. Or "Aqualung" - that would be a no-brainer, but Chrysalis is no longer part of the WEA combine, so probably not available.

oxforddickie

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Well, the problem is, as a releaser, i've grown to dislike DTS to the point i can't listen to it anymore. Oh well, i can dream, can't i :))

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I seem to remember John from Rhino being excited when he found out that ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" had been a quadraphonic album (can't seem to find that post, though). I'll vote for that as the next release.

J. D.
I'd rather go with Fandango. Tres Hombres already came out on quad reel. Fandango almost came out on quad reel, or did it?

Bender

Any ZZ top would be cool, though I was also pulling for them to do the half time at the Superbowl, with it being in Texas and all. I guess someone was fearing another wardrobe malfunction....

scratch17

I vote for Thick As A Brick.

Reasons:
  1. It is great music and well recorded.
  2. There are many instruments, so a quad mix ought to be great.
  3. There are some nice pans in stereo that would translate well to quad.
  4. The album sells really well, so Rhino would make money.

I'd also like to see Edgar Winter Group's "They Only Come Out at Night". It is one of the best SQ releases I've ever heard.

His brother Johnny's Johnny Winter And "Live" would also be killer in quad. It is one of the greatest ever guitar albums.

Finally, I'd like to see Zeppelin's first and second albums in quad.

Steven

ClarkNovak

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Those are all great wishes, Steven, but remember that what Rhino can/will issue is constrained by a couple of factors: 1) It has to be a pre-existing Quad mix, and 2) It has to be part of the WEA holdings. Johnny and Edgar's catalog is still held by CBS, which means Sony, and there is no co-operation between Sony and Rhino. Likewise, Tull was originally released by Warner/Reprise through a distribution deal with Chrysalis, but the Chrysalis catalog is now part of the CBS/Sony assets, having changed distribution in the late '70s and then selling to CBS in the 80s. And the Zeppelin, although owned by Atlantic, was never mixed for Quad - there are no Quad master tapes to resurrect; it would require a full new mixdown from the multis, and that's about as likely to happen as John Bonham reappearing for the release party.

Logically, I hold the theory that whatever Rhino releases next will be a previously-released title with good mass-appeal, like "Tres Hombres" or maybe "On The Border." If the program does well enough for long enough, someone might undertake some prospecting for titles that were planned but unissued, like "Gord's Gold." I don't expect that any second-tier titles, like those from Herbie Mann or the MJQ, will ever see the light of day again.

Quadwreck

Since 2002/2003
Thick As A Brick wasn't mixed to quad, unfortunately, but Ian did say that he transferred the multitracks to digital about ten years ago.

jsrstereo

Since 2002/2003
Those are all great wishes, Steven, but remember that what Rhino can/will issue is constrained by a couple of factors: 1) It has to be a pre-existing Quad mix, and 2) It has to be part of the WEA holdings. Johnny and Edgar's catalog is still held by CBS, which means Sony, and there is no co-operation between Sony and Rhino. Likewise, Tull was originally released by Warner/Reprise through a distribution deal with Chrysalis, but the Chrysalis catalog is now part of the CBS/Sony assets, having changed distribution in the late '70s and then selling to CBS in the 80s. And the Zeppelin, although owned by Atlantic, was never mixed for Quad - there are no Quad master tapes to resurrect; it would require a full new mixdown from the multis, and that's about as likely to happen as John Bonham reappearing for the release party.

How then did Chicago's CTA album (originally on Columbia) end up as Rhino's first Quadio issue?

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
How then did Chicago's CTA album (originally on Columbia) end up as Rhino's first Quadio issue?

The early Chicago albums WERE property of Columbia, but have since moved over to WB. That's why Rhino was able to release the quad master that was originally done for Columbia. Chicago must have retained ownership of their recordings and masters - a very smart move on their part.

It happens all of the time. Look at the Columbia Paul Simon albums, now all on WB. (Hey, those would make nice Quadio's!)

jsrstereo

Since 2002/2003
The early Chicago albums WERE property of Columbia, but have since moved over to WB. That's why Rhino was able to release the quad master that was originally done for Columbia. Chicago must have retained ownership of their recordings and masters - a very smart move on their part.

It happens all of the time. Look at the Columbia Paul Simon albums, now all on WB. (Hey, those would make nice Quadio's!)
Paul Simon Quadio's - now I'm ready for that!

TVB

Is Garfunkels "Breakaway" also propertry of WB now and therefore a possibility for a Quadio release?..I cant find a Q8 of this title..

Group builder