What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I don't even really believe a"Jefferson Starship" level artist has the kind of market clout to attract a Quadio release 😖

Just checked to see if the Concord Music Group which recently released Kenny Wayne Shepherd's ATMOS BD~A The Traveler was independent or owned by a major. This is what I came up with:

The Concord Music Group (CMG) was formed in 2004 with the merger of Concord Records and Fantasy Records. It is a privately held company based in Beverly Hills, California. Distribution is largely by the Universal Group since 2006.

Concord Music did release dozens of multi~ch SACDs during the early 00's and even control the Telarc/Heads UP catalogue and have signed many new artists in the past few years.

Wonder if they'll release any more multi~ch BD~As as I'm sure the Shepherd album sold well.
B1fn0PoeURS._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
While I'd love to finally get a listenable version of the quad mix (both the CD-4 LP and Q8 are horrid examples of their respective formats), would there really be that much interest in that one? The album itself comes off as pretty dated today, in my opinion at least.
Still my favorite AC album of all time

While I'd love to finally get a listenable version of the quad mix (both the CD-4 LP and Q8 are horrid examples of their respective formats), would there really be that much interest in that one? The album itself comes off as pretty dated today, in my opinion at least.
Yeah. One of my favorite albums as a 12 year old boy. But I managed to pick up a copy of the 5.1 DVD-A awhile back and was disappointed in how much I didn't remember the album fondly. I've only played it once so far. It didn't even really have much nostalgia appeal to me. Mostly I was reminded of why I probably stopped listening to the album by the time I was 14-15.

Having said that, I'd buy a Quadio if they released one. But that'd probably be more out of support for the label and format than anything.

I would love to see a Quadio box set of Carly Simon. She had five quads released, of which at least two had fantastic quad mixes!
Yeah, that'd be nice. But frankly, hard to see much market for that. Unless Rhino wants to start going the D-V route and pushing these quad mixes out at reasonable rates or even as two-fers?

which leads us to the next obvious question: seriously---how many copies of "Playing Possum" has WEA sold in ANY format over the last 5-10 years? You would think that ANY chance to repackage such albums in a manner that would sell to ANYONE would be welcome. Why not give the quad fans a crack at it?

Yeah, that'd be nice. But frankly, hard to see much market for that. Unless Rhino wants to start going the D-V route and pushing these quad mixes out at reasonable rates or even as two-fers?

which leads us to the next obvious question: seriously---how many copies of "Playing Possum" has WEA sold in ANY format over the last 5-10 years? You would think that ANY chance to repackage such albums in a manner that would sell to ANYONE would be welcome. Why not give the quad fans a crack at it?
I like your thinking here, a smart marketing campaign with lots of exposure wouldn’t hurt, but that also would cost more, so very tricky and financially risky for them. I believe that’s why they have to stick with the bigger names.

It's clear, they don't have quite the affinity for momentum, that they did back in the Quad LP days. They're first going to have to come up with some titles that will appeal to both a mainstream, and a wider demographic of tastes. Say, three two-fers, to get some traction in the marketplace.

Then...they'd have to follow it up with some equally-compelling artists and titles that would validate the interest they generated with the first ones.

Considering how it was like pulling teeth to get the first two titles out, then the long, dreary march to the boxes...this isn't gonna be a priority project for Dr, Rhino.

Back