What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember John from Rhino being excited when he found out that ZZ Top's "Tres Hombres" had been a quadraphonic album (can't seem to find that post, though). I'll vote for that as the next release.

J. D.
The ZZ Top albums were released in the US on the London label, which is now part of UMG. So I don't think there will be a Quadio release of any of their albums.

Jaybird, you are correct about what happened to the old London label, but wrong about who owns the ZZ Top masters. Their London masters came with them when they jumped ship to Warners in 1975. Their back catalog is still with WEA and the most recent release of "Tres Hombres" bears the Rhino imprint! This could absolutely be a Quadio title.

I just thought of another one, though - Joni's "Court And Spark".

Last edited:
Why do you dislike DTS?

DTS uses compression, and it's easy to hear it working. I do find it interesting that they go to all the trouble of digging out these old masters, then release them watered down instead of allowing them to be heard in as good as quality as possible.

So, Ox, how would you feel about surround mixes being released using an uncompressed system, such as DTS-HD Master Audio, as a BD-A disc release? There's talk of trying this, but considering how DVD-A and SACD "bombed", there's some hesitancy. There are a few out there now, but I have to wonder whether the major labels will embrace this technology.

That would ok. Don't forget, they are dealing with a minority audiance anyway, and those involved/interested in what we do would have the equipment anyway, so why supply the goods? Oh, and as far as DVD-A being dead, all i'll say is: KING CRIMSON

BD is already a more universal format than DVDA. Chris G here was right about it, it seems to have gone mainstream. I expect plain dvds to be phased out in 5 years in favor of bluray. So nothing wrong with Blu being used its not going to cost more to make a music only blu ray disc as opposed to a movie for the manufacturers. I'll take blu, sacd, dvda even HD DVD if I get what I want to hear.....
I'll bet the licensing fees are cheap if anyone wants to make some music only HD DVDs......

my choice is totally for YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE. I love the titles mentioned, but I'd really rather hear a quad new to my ears instead of another higher grade copy of something I already have.

I love the titles mentioned, but I'd really rather hear a quad new to my ears instead of another higher grade copy of something I already have.

Ditto that, with emphasis. Personally, my first choices would be the unreleased quad Zappas, One Size Fits All and Roxy (the former maybe never mixed) -- but I gather that the rights have reverted to the Zappa family trust so they're not available. Close to the Edge would be great though!

Mark Z

Close to the Edge would be great! Was it released in quad?
I recall reading around 2003 when CTTE was sceduled for release on DVDA that the project was scrapped as the master tapes were lost.
Harold

Close to the Edge would be great! Was it released in quad?
I recall reading around 2003 when CTTE was sceduled for release on DVDA that the project was scrapped as the master tapes were lost.
Harold

It got as far as a record & tape catalog listing but never appeared in the market as quad.

I would still like to have Emerson Lake & Palmer - WBMFTTSTNE (live) to hear it in much better than Q8 fidelity and the flutter in one cartridge that has haunted us all of these years. It's the 40th anniversary of he group and I can invent more reasons if required.

WBMF was another title sheduled for dvd-a release after BSS and went nowhere...

DTS uses compression, and it's easy to hear it working. I do find it interesting that they go to all the trouble of digging out these old masters, then release them watered down instead of allowing them to be heard in as good as quality as possible.

I tend to agree completely with oxford here DTS should have stayed where it was designed , for films. the compression is horrible, better dynamic response can be had from redbook cd. I hear the upper end and lower end chopped off on every single dts disc I have ever listened to. I want to look into this DTS-HD some more though, but if it still utilizes a compression scheme then it too is no good.

"DTS-HD High Resolution" is lossy, although bitrate is much higher than ordinary DTS. If you want lossless DTS, the only option is "DTS-HD Master Audio". Anyway, the Quadio releases do only contain lossy DTS 96/24.

oxforddickie said:
DTS uses compression, and it's easy to hear it working.
the compression is horrible, better dynamic response can be had from redbook cd.

Are you talking about dynamic compression or bit reduction? There seems to be some confusion over this.

holland123 said:
I hear the upper end and lower end chopped off on every single dts disc I have ever listened to.
It sounds as if you have some erroneous decoding of your DTS discs.

I tend to agree completely with oxford here DTS should have stayed where it was designed , for films. the compression is horrible, better dynamic response can be had from redbook cd. I hear the upper end and lower end chopped off on every single dts disc I have ever listened to. I want to look into this DTS-HD some more though, but if it still utilizes a compression scheme then it too is no good.

Do any discs come out anymore as DTS-HD? I think they are all DTS-HDMA. Why go "half-way"? Anyway, sure that HDMA is what was meant. MOJO and DTT are HDMA right? AKA BDA...

This is so incredibly off-topic, and yet another episode of "All threads inevitably lead to discussion of why there's no more DVD-As," but I'm finding it hard not to bite here. Damn you, Holland. ;)

Look.....I get it. Some folks want their hi-rez, and they can't enjoy anything, no matter how good the mix itself is, unless its as hi-rez as can be. I also think people in that category tend to have much better systems than I do. I've sat in living rooms with very high-end systems (of course, not my own living room) and have felt the difference. It's always felt like the Law of Diminishing Returns to me. The more you spend on those speakers, the more imperfections you're going to find, and the smaller the pool of music you're going to be truly pleased by is going to be. I just don't think that applies to everyone, though.

In the work I do, I find original source to matter more than anything else, but that's just me.

Anyways, I think the next quadio title will be John Cage's "4:33." ;)

"DTS-HD High Resolution" is lossy, although bitrate is much higher than ordinary DTS. If you want lossless DTS, the only option is "DTS-HD Master Audio". Anyway, the Quadio releases do only contain lossy DTS 96/24.
I wonder what would happen if a DTS HDMA track was played on a standard DVD player. Would it default to standard dts or would it just not play at all? Could a Blu-ray player play a DTS HDMA track on a DVD?

I wonder what would happen if a DTS HDMA track was played on a standard DVD player. Would it default to standard dts or would it just not play at all? Could a Blu-ray player play a DTS HDMA track on a DVD?

A total no-go, I'm afraid. DTS-HD is not part of the DVD standard. So DVD players wont reproduce it, neither can it be included on DVD-Video or DVD-Audio discs.

The answer to the third question is yes. A standard DVD can have DTS-HDMA recorded on to it. Just like DVD-A can be recorded on to a standard DVD.

Back