• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Honestly, I'm still pinching myself that they got the Chicago set out. As happy as I'd be with a matching Doobies set, those four albums were released on reel (plus the awesome 5.1 mix of Captain on DVD-A) and there are some excellent conversions of those floating around. Even the CD-4s aren't bad. Compare that with the nine Chicago albums released only on SQ and Q8.

So if it does come to pass, awesome. Sign me up! But if it doesn't, I wouldn't be too crushed. I felt the same way when Sony Japan cancelled their Multichannel SACD of Bridge Over Troubled Water, as there's already a high quality copy of the quad mix out there.
Spot on...for that Chicago set to be released still amazes me...not an easy sell to embark on a project like that...I can't think of a better overall set and coverage of a band in surround...just amazing..

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
It's ALL well and good that 'conversions' are floating around but IMO, the REAL DEAL are the QUAD masters which are usually 15 ips. Those conversions might satisfy the small segment that own them but I'm sure either SONY Japan QUAD SACDs or those emanating from D~V would be MUCH MORE PREFERABLE!
I think it’s a case by case thing, with some consumer level Q4 conversions to 4-Chan pcm approaching professional level label released product. I could list a half dozen or more that indeed do sound that great. While others are fun, an improvement over Q8 any day of the year, but do not reach pro level.

What is going to take the consumer Q4 transfer to the next level is the Plangent Process. Now being used on old analogue tapes by some major artists Springsteen (late remasters) and Grateful Dead (Betty Boards), etc. this process records the analogue signal to 24/192kHz, and finds any wow or flutter or speed variations- and digitally irons out those flaws even if they were introduced on an earlier generation of the tapes. Bright end gets the sharpness back 100%, making it seem like a generation or two of tape noise and flutter has been eliminated.

So this professional application is not too far away from being accessible to the quad excavator / restoration / converter at home.

It might even make a Q8 more salvageable, and bring out some sharpness to those hissy slow moving reels.

Anyway, I think in some cases (hopefully not too many), the consumer Q4 is the best we will ever see on the market for a given title. Sad as that sounds, it’s still a lot better than nothing, and with Plangent coming online, I’m kind of ecstatic to know that my favorite Q4s are going to get a remaster in the coming years that will sound remarkably improved.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Apparently the folks at Rhino do listen to what we want. The Doobies Quadio box set had been suggested by members of the forum for some time now, and it's about to happen! So who else do we want to see a Quadio set from? James Taylor, perhaps?
I highly doubt we will see any other Quadio box sets from Rhino after this one. The Chicago and Doobies sets work perfectly for two reasons:
1) Both bands still enjoy quite a lot of commercial appeal in the 21st century
2) Both bands had enough Quadraphonic mixes to warrant a dedicated box set (4 for the Doobies and 9 for Chicago)

I see the future of Quadio Blu-Ray releases more in line with their inclusion in single album box sets or deluxe editions.

privateuniverse

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
The other one that could make sense for Rhino would be The Eagles. However, that would be prediacted on two major factors:

1) Do the rumored quad mixes of the first two albums actually exist?
2) Could you get Henley to sign off on the project?

If you could clear both those hurdles, an Eagles Quadio set would certainly outsell sets by the Doobies or Chicago.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Didn’t Rhino just buy the rights to most of the Jefferson Airplane catalog? I know it’s not the Eagles, It depends on how well this DB release will go; and whoever is the driving force for these Quadio releases at Rhino can also make a case for it to make good business sense for whatever is next.
So I’m back to- BUY.! BUY.! BUY!

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'd be in for any or all JA or related Quad boxes, even though I have all of them on CD-4 or Q8.
Sorry, I'm mistaken, looks like it was the J. Starship and Hot Tuna, but would that be that bad?

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The other one that could make sense for Rhino would be The Eagles. However, that would be prediacted on two major factors:

If you could clear both those hurdles, an Eagles Quadio set would certainly outsell sets by the Doobies or Chicago.
I think the problem here is that the Eagles Legacy box came out less than two years ago, but maybe another reissue included surround mixes could be doable in a few years time. The two quads that were released are in dire need of a sonic upgrade - On The Border might be the worst-sounding quad LP in my collection.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Jefferson Starship, Hot Tuna, Papa John or Grace/Paul Quads are great, too. BRING EM ON, RHINO, SONY, GRUNT, or whoever.

Sorry, I'm mistaken, looks like it was the J. Starship and Hot Tuna, but would that be that bad?

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova

I hate to be a downer but I thought I read somewheres the Eagles music were a casualty of that umg fire.

privateuniverse

I hate to be a downer but I thought I read somewheres the Eagles music were a casualty of that umg fire.
The Eagles albums from the 70's have always been under the Warner Brothers umbrella. If any Eagles masters perished in the UMG fire, it probably would have been Hell Freezes Over or Long Road Out of Eden, both of which were distributed by Universal. Also, several solo titles by Henley & Frey were Universal releases.

ar surround

QQ Supporter
Jefferson Starship, Hot Tuna, Papa John or Grace/Paul Quads are great, too. BRING EM ON, RHINO, SONY, GRUNT, or whoever.
We Quad Heads are a greedy bunch. (Greed is good. LOL). The release of the Doobies Quadio has just been announced and we are already lobbying for more! Love it!

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
We Quad Heads are a greedy bunch. (Greed is good. LOL). The release of the Doobies Quadio has just been announced and we are already lobbying for more! Love it!
I'll happily put some/lots of money Rhino's way for all those albums as Quadio releases :SB