What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A box set with 4 or 5 different artists / songwriters of stature. It would never happen but it would be cool.

1. Joni
2. James
3. Gordon
4. Jackson
5. Randy

I already posited that question to RHINO and was told it would be a licensing 'nightmare' although a GREAT idea. I called it a potpourri of QUAD artists. But then there would be those potential buyers who would find fault with some of those choices.

The release of this long overdue Doobie Quadio boxset is phenomenol news but we're accustomed to Dutton Vocalion churning out well over 100 old QUAD titles in spectacular fashion and Warner/Rhino does have some spectacular A list QUAD titles itching for release and NO intentions of actually releasing them, citing excruciating royalty payments and lack of interest on the part of the artists.

But couldn't they at least license some of their non A list artists to D~V for replication and perhaps save those A listers [as SONY has] for future box set/deluxe edition release??????
When it is the label that has the license or copyrights already, it's not as complex an issue. The market is small. Rhino has seen that these sets do sell, but at a slower pace. It will always be a Rhino Handmade type of release. They are not going to mess around with an adverse artist, or a master they don't own 100%.

A box set with 4 or 5 different artists / songwriters of stature. It would never happen but it would be cool.

1. Joni Bon Jovi?
2. Rick James?
3. Flash Gordon soundtrack?
4. Michael Jackson?
5. Randy Travis?
Didn't know these acts had quads!
I like the eclectic mix though.

I already posited that question to RHINO and was told it would be a licensing 'nightmare' although a GREAT idea. I called it a potpourri of QUAD artists. But then there would be those potential buyers who would find fault with some of those choices.
Well, the way to do it is you release the four titles separately and a lovely hardbound slipcase is added for buyers who buy all 4 or 5, which makes it a box set after the fact.

Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark, Hissing Of Summer Lawns (and possibly some unreleased - Blue, For The Roses)
James Taylor - Gorilla, One Man Dog (and possibly some unreleased - Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim & The Blue Horizon)
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown, Cold On The Shoulder
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Randy Newman - Sail Away, Good Old Boys

Regarding Joni Mitchell, wasn't Ladies of the Canyon also on a DVD~A 'Coming Soon' list, as well? I know, Blue WAS!

I'll happily put some/lots of money Rhino's way for all those albums as Quadio releases :SB
You know that is a not a bad idea. Lets talk about it.
I have been in lots of clubs, groups, teams, etc in my life. The one thing that is 100% common across the board is these, lets call them clubs, have in common is the act of being a club gets discounts on items, three examples: when I was in the rock concert poster collecting club, I was a founding member in 1989 Poster Club and we got artists, proofs, first editions, etc. When I raced bicycles, the club got deals on bikes, wheels, bike stuff, etc. When I was a team roper in rodeos, the roping club got discounts at rodeos, gear, etc. I have more but you get the picture.

What is QQ? It is essentially a club. We are interested in music (artists), gear (equipment), etc.

Could we as a group, produce (we are the producers) a source, Dutton Vocalion-Rhino, etc to help fund the costs of a release. In turn we get a club discount.

In regards to gear, you start stroking a audio gear company. It starts out simple, for example, the deal is if 30 QQ'ers buy this DAC they get a $200.00 discount, or more or less depending on the DAC company.

Don't poo poo this, it is the foundation of every club in the world, stamps, coins, records, dolls, trains, the list goes on forever.

And I own all the Doobs & Airplane Quads. I'm happy to buy those Quad mixes again.

I have surround sickness and don't want to be cured!

We Quad Heads are a greedy bunch. (Greed is good. LOL). The release of the Doobies Quadio has just been announced and we are already lobbying for more! Love it!

Last edited:
And I own all the Doobs & Airplane Quads.

I have surround sickness and don't want to be cured!

And Befitting a QUAD GODDESS:

See the source image

See the source image

The other one that could make sense for Rhino would be The Eagles. However, that would be prediacted on two major factors:

1) Do the rumored quad mixes of the first two albums actually exist?
2) Could you get Henley to sign off on the project?

If you could clear both those hurdles, an Eagles Quadio set would certainly outsell sets by the Doobies or Chicago.

I thought about this just now.
The Eagles are definitely bigger sellers than both Chicago and the Doobie Brothers, so if a Quadio box set from them hasn't happened yet, it's for one of these two reasons, and I hope it's not because of Reason #2, cause maybe one day Rhino could release deluxe editions of both "On the Border" and "One of These Nights" with the Quad mixes included in both sets.

:)

Regarding Joni Mitchell, wasn't Ladies of the Canyon also on a DVD~A 'Coming Soon' list, as well? I know, Blue WAS!
I suspect those would have been 5.1 mixes, which I'd love to hear but I don't know if Rhino would be comfortable mixing formats in a box. Maybe they could do Blue and give us the quad and the 5,1 like a PF Immersion box. I'd buy that!

Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark, Hissing Of Summer Lawns (and possibly some unreleased - Blue, For The Roses)
James Taylor - Gorilla, One Man Dog (and possibly some unreleased - Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim & The Blue Horizon)
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown, Cold On The Shoulder
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky
Randy Newman - Sail Away, Good Old Boys
Warner / Rhino know about these. They also know about Deep Purple "Burn" sitting there with Sabbath and others. It's all going super slow. We'll just have to buy this new set and pray there are a few others in the pipeline.

There is a great list of Quad releases on 8-track.
https://8trackheaven.com/8-track-co...ack-tape-players/complete-list-of-quad-tapes/My vote would be for a smaller but amazing set!
STEELY DAN –
Can’t Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstacy
Pretzel Logic
The quad of CBAT is great. CTE is really good. But the Pretzel Logic quad is not good at all...more like double stereo. There are some downmixes of it out there that are miles ahead of the official quad.

Anyway, I’d buy box sets of certain A-list albums if they’d keep the pricing in the range of the Tull sets...very good value.

Back