What hardware should I aim for?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jfquad

Hi All,

Very soon, I hope to be in the market for some original Quad equipment... basically I want a usable system for converting, say SQ vinyl to DTS - I have most of the modern technology/software I need but really require some advice as to what record deck, decoder/amp etc. would suit me starting out... also a good but relatively cheap muti-input soundcard... please let me know your thoughts and bear in mind that I'm in the UK.

Thanks,
JF

Wow ! JF. Where to start! You said you have Software- Did you mean you have the d.t.s. encoding software?

If you check the section for d.t.s. and look under the what is everyone using to encode d.t.s. it should give you a good idea of what we use as far as SQ the Tate101-a decoder is by far the best at doing it's job. If you read all of it you should get a good Idea and many of them ! The QSD-1 Is a good one for Qs records.You'll need a good multi channel card with a minimum of 4 inputs , but suggest saving for a better one as you go along you'll wish you did! Reason Being you want the ability to do six channel sooner or later and wish You didn't spend that money on the 4 channel one. Turntable is an on going issue but a good tt is a no brainer! Read up and ask questions and I know someone else will come in and add more info. You can use a modern 5.1 for quad so you DON'T have to go with a quad amp if you don't want to!
Rob

That Tate decoder for SQ will be listed as a Fosgate 101A decoder. "Tate" is not the brand name, but a type of system. Tate technology can also be found in the Audionics Space and Image Composer, which is even rarer than the Fosgate. (only about 200 were built) QSD-1's for QS are hard to get too, even more so than Fosgate Tates. Fortunately, if you want to do quadradiscs, the best CD-4 demodulator, the JVC 4DD5 is relatively easy to find. QSD-2's (QS) are easier to find than QSD-1's, so they go cheaper. Sansui Variomatrix (QS) technology can be had by buying a Sansui receiver also, and you will get a CD-4 demodulator to boot. Be sure to look for a QRX model. Happy Hunting!

The Quadfather

Thanks for the advice - looks like I've got a bit of a search on my hands... having access to recording studio-style equipment/software means that I am "DTS-capable" and have some experience of creating and working with DTS- and Dolby Digital-encoded files.

Having recently found the sizable list of titles released under the various quad formats of the 70s, I feel inpsired to try and rescue some of them!

Obviously I understand that a large number have already been immortalised by some very capable members of this board and I have a huge amount of respect for them and the hard work they have already put in. Really I'm just interested in putting some of my experience into this field!

JF

Welcome , and go for it. If you want some help with that let me know- How good is the source material! Sounds like you have a .... stash? You can e-mail me direct if you want!
[email protected] :smokin:
I see your in the U.K. Essex, How are the prices for equipment on the other side of the pond!
Can you get Sur-code dts locally?

If you set up for CD-4, it requires a special cartridge and stylus. The Audio Technica AT331LP will work in this capacity.
The turntable also must have low capacitance wiring, which most quality turntables of the quad era had CD-4 compatible wiring.

The Quadfather

There are at least three expert converters that can provide about everything that you may desire regarding Quad recordings in DTS.

Unless you plan to do compilations or perhaps Q8 tapes restoring the original cut order I see no need in investing the time, effort and considerable expense. Repairing vintage equipment is a nightmare and when it's expensive it is a bummer. Particularly so if you don't live in the US.

Of course, getting there might be a large part of the fun for you.

My two cents.

Maybe he's got some material woth the effort to him!
I know I like doing them myself, for myself, And know for sure of the quality that went into it , and if I don't like it or the way it came out I can redo it and get it right. I have some stuff on my audio computer that I've been working on for quite some time till I feel its ready to get encoded. I like mine to sound like it came from the studio no q8 hiss etc. and it takes time and effort but I like it and I say go for it. Like I said before if you need help shoot me an e-mail I've been doing d.t.s along time as long or longer than Tab, he knows his suuff also! and Cai, Jon, and a few I can't think of at the moment! If you want to do it do it! you could aways go into dvd-a as I would like to do and the knowledge would be a perfect stepping stone to it. :smokin: I'm not going to start a who's better than who because he has done x amount ... we all do very good work to preserve the sound and thats what's important. One more Won't hurt !!! :cool:

Back