What if I had $2000 to spend?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey gang....I know, I know. Jeez.......so much money to spend. I'm just trying to figure out, if I had 2K to spend, where would my money be best spent? Let me rule out speaker upgrade. I'm happy with my speakers.

I'm wondering about.......AVR. I have Denon X4400H. Obviously, I could upgrade that. Or....keep what I have, and get a seperate amp to drive my 2 front speakers. Is that a real improvement? Can I even do it, with the AVR I have??? Yes, I've researched....but find so much misinformation, that it's hard to know what can and can't be hooked up.

I was just thinking, don’t you still have Klipsch speakers? If yes, they are very efficient. So, I’m not sure, depending on the volume you listen, if it wouldn’t be overkill to add an external amplifier.

Hey gang....I know, I know. Jeez.......so much money to spend. I'm just trying to figure out, if I had 2K to spend, where would my money be best spent? Let me rule out speaker upgrade. I'm happy with my speakers.

I'm wondering about.......AVR. I have Denon X4400H. Obviously, I could upgrade that. Or....keep what I have, and get a seperate amp to drive my 2 front speakers. Is that a real improvement? Can I even do it, with the AVR I have??? Yes, I've researched....but find so much misinformation, that it's hard to know what can and can't be hooked up.

A LUXURY CATHOUSE FOR LAMAR, OF COURSE....And Diablo can visit .....by Appointment ONLY! 😾

See the source image

Last edited:

Looking at your Denon receiver’s configuration, it should be easy to use it as a pre-pro feeding separate power amps via its analog outputs. I’ve done it with other AVRs and it made a significant difference in the sound quality.

I‘ve used a separate, large two-channel power amp for the mains (fronts) and let the AVR handle the center and surrounds. In your case the Denon can also power the Atmos speakers. A huge, 5.1 amp may be even better as suggested by @marpow, allowing the Denon AVR to deal with only the rears and height speakers.

The main problem with AVR’s is that the power supply is rarely big enough to supply enough juice to all of the AVR’s amps playing at high volume levels. Thus you will begin to hear the results of compression...less open sound, etc.

BUT...in your case you have those remarkably efficient Klipsch speakers which may not be taxing your AVR’s amps at all. I, on the other hand, am using inefficient, low impedence, acoustic suspension monsters which suck enormous amounts of power. So I have large amps that are stable down to 2 ohms. I‘m not going to find that in an AVR.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...super-surround-preamp-preliminary-info.25537/

I have an Denon X4400 -- wow, the X6400 models are only about 700 bucks now! -- set up with Klipsch speakers (apart from the rear heights, which are in the ceiling and are Jamos) as 5.4.2, and have thought about using my old model Denon avr to amp two wides (love Dolby Atmos, but miss my 7.2 wides).

However, to get the signal for those two extras, I'd have to use one of my two subwoofer channels, making my system 7.4.1 instead. I like how nicely balanced the subs are, so have not done this, even though I already have the amp and 2 more Klipsch speakers (which one day I mean to set up in my bedroom, but inertia has set in).

So a new 11.2 avr would be my pic. But I'm not you, who already has one -- how about getting a backup Oppo?

Last edited:
I recently went down the path suggested by several here - connected a separate 2-channel power amp to drive my front left and right speakers. The reason I did that is because I have speakers (B&W CM10) that are known to be difficult to drive and require more current, and I felt like my Denon AVR-X3700H wasn't quite able to get them to robust levels without distorting. I chose the Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2, connected it from the AVR's pre-outs, and couldn't be happier. Clearer sound at high volumes with less distortion, and more headroom for transients. Great for 2-channel listening especially. Now, you have Klipsch speakers, which is a whole different animal as far as it being easy to drive, so maybe there is a lower powered tube amp that could greatly improve your sound in that price range.

Another option that you could consider would be to get a good integrated amp with Home Theater bypass, so you could significantly improve your 2-channel listening (potentially better amp, DAC and phone preamp all in one box), and it would allow you to still use your AVR for surround duties (but using the integrated's amp section for the front L&R.

Upgrades are fun! Do your research and I am sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

Here is a list of integrated amps with Home Theater Bypass.

http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input
Some of these don't specifically say they have HT bypass, but they supposedly have an input that is fixed volume, so that the AVR would control the volume without losing the balance between all the channels. At least I think that is how it works. Not sure about how it interacts with room correction software in your AVR (that is something that HT bypass is supposed to specifically allow for).

Back