What if Involve was around in 1977"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Thanks one again to our friends Down Under at Involve Audio, we are able to present another in our series of complete original concert broadcasts from the 1970's. These were provided to subscribed stations on LP and tape, already encoded for the 70's version of surround sound, and the bigger stations that had their own encoding equipment, or were able to broadcast discrete quadraphonic sound got 4 track/channel tapes.
What we're doing this week is giving you an idea of what these shows would have sounded like with 21st century technology. The Involve audio encoder was used to make this dream come true (if only this outfit had been around back then).
The nice thing about this encoding system is that it sounds great in stereo, decodes quite nicely with the Dolby PLII setting on most modern home theater systems, and in the older QS/RM systems. But if you have one of their SurroundMaster decoders - you're sitting on the edge of the stage at the Rainbow Theater in 1977!
So Join us Tuesday Night - 10 pm (NYC time) - for the UK's answer to the King Biscuit Flour Hour; The British Biscuit (same production company on both sides of the "pond" - btw; nobody calls the Atlantic ocean "The Pond").

http://radiomaxmusic.com/popup.html
show1200.jpg

WOW!! I missed this....is the show available to stream or download somewhere?

Peter Gabriel era Genesis is one of my alltime fave musical entities

*edit* is this the same show that "Genesis, Live" was released as? or is it a different show & recording altogether?

thx

*edit* is this the same show that "Genesis, Live" was released as? or is it a different show & recording altogether?

thx
They kicked off their Wind & Wuthering Tour at the Rainbow on New Year's day, 1977 and it is from the first 2 nights of that set, tonight's concert broadcast was taken.
This would be their last tour with guitarist Steve Hackett and the first with Chester Thompson as their touring drummer, the tour was staged in support of their 1976 album Wind & Wuthering and their 1977 extended play Spot the Pigeon. Recordings from the tour's dates in Paris were used for the band's second live album Seconds Out, released in 1977.

thx
I'll put the full show - including my (so called) voice intro here;
https://volafile.org/r/gu3burp8for 48 hours (check after 2pm NYC time today)

There WAS a version of Dolby Stereo in 1978 with height. The film The Wiz was advertised as having it.

There WAS a version of Dolby Stereo in 1978 with height. The film The Wiz was advertised as having it.
Yes and it was largely ignored in the 70's. Dolby have been busy rewriting surround history in many parts of the net proclaiming it was a major player back then. I believe its is used by most stereo conveyors such as Youtube etc these days as the upmixer . So in some ways Dolby wins again mainly because of brand recognition- not because its any good!

Yep I am biased and I do think Involve encode is a way better carrier, trouble is there really is no front door to these places if you are a minor player.

Yes and it was largely ignored in the 70's. Dolby have been busy rewriting surround history in many parts of the net proclaiming it was a major player back then. I believe its is used by most stereo conveyors such as Youtube etc these days as the upmixer . So in some ways Dolby wins again mainly because of brand recognition- not because its any good!

Yep I am biased and I do think Involve encode is a way better carrier, trouble is there really is no front door to these places if you are a minor player.

And I'm sure in 1977, Dave the Bitch was still in diapers!

See the source image

I'll put the full show - including my (so called) voice intro here;
https://volafile.org/r/gu3burp8for 48 hours (check after 2pm NYC time today)

In contrast to your own surround mixes I found this concert a total mess. Weird microphone placement (back and front of the stage?). This does not give the impression of being in the audience of a live concert. Voice of Phil Collins is muffled and unfocused. I always had the impression following the concert located from behind the lead singer.
Bill, I wonder what your impressions were when you listened to the source material.

In contrast to your own surround mixes I found this concert a total mess. Weird microphone placement (back and front of the stage?). This does not give the impression of being in the audience of a live concert. Voice of Phil Collins is muffled and unfocused. I always had the impression following the concert located from behind the lead singer.
Bill, I wonder what your impressions were when you listened to the source material.
very few of the surround radio concerts are particularly breath taking - by and large I think they used surround or quad as a gimick when it could have been so much more.

oops, couldn't make out who was on stage, assumed Gabriel was still with them for this

I kind of fell off after "Trick of the Tail" which is also a great album

ps if you do like old Genesis, check out "The Musical Box" they play all the old music, on all the old equipment!! Genesis even gave them a bunch of old stage props and visual materials to use, live

I guess we will have to wait until the COVID vaccine kicks in & we get some live music back...

Back