WHAT IF? - - WEA switched to 'SQ' in 1974??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Thinking about this HD-DVD/Blu-Ray thing, what impact on quad would Warner switching from CD-4 to SQ have had, joining Columbia much in the same way Warner is joining Sony with BluRay?

That would have left RCA to fly the CD-4 banner alone, and tipped the retail scales heavily to SQ. Would that have saved quad?

Of course, it's a different situation than HD video, as the SQ decoders of the day could not compete with CD-4 or tape, but still the "confusion" factor would have decreased for the consumer.

Just a thought.............................:mad:@:

Thinking about this HD-DVD/Blu-Ray thing, what impact on quad would Warner switching from CD-4 to SQ have had, joining Columbia much in the same way Warner is joining Sony with BluRay?

That would have left RCA to fly the CD-4 banner alone, and tipped the retail scales heavily to SQ. Would that have saved quad?

Of course, it's a different situation than HD video, as the SQ decoders of the day could not compete with CD-4 or tape, but still the "confusion" factor would have decreased for the consumer.

Just a thought.............................:mad:@:

Or if A&M switched from SQ to CD-4 sooner. The possiblilies are endless !

No matter how many companies used SQ, it's still a crappy format. I don't think WEA switching would've had that much of an effect in the long run.

Yeah, but just like Sony and Blu-Ray, Columbia owned the process AND the material, so they weren't about to switch. WEA did not own the process, so I just used them as an example. If I had my say, everyone would have switched to CD-4, but no one listened! :D

Yeah, but just like Sony and Blu-Ray, Columbia owned the process AND the material, so they weren't about to switch.

It's been alleged that Columbia actually did consider switching to CD-4 and even got to the point of running off a few test pressings of "Wish You Were Here".

It's been alleged that Columbia actually did consider switching to CD-4 and even got to the point of running off a few test pressings of "Wish You Were Here".

I doubt that - given Columbia's patents on SQ and the rather aggressive tone their CBS Technology Center folks took towards CD-4 !

CBS had zillions into SQ. That was their baby. Quad was dying, they were not changing. There were test pressings of lots of material that never saw the light of day. I have a test CD4 of Dianna Ross that was a Q8 only title. I have seen several titles from CBS and RCA done both ways SQ and CD4. These engineers were friends sometimes!!! The CD4 test pressings are the ones to find. The air of good CD4 lps can even beat a tape for ear pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocity

I doubt that - given Columbia's patents on SQ and the rather aggressive tone their CBS Technology Center folks took towards CD-4 !

I have seen several titles from CBS and RCA done both ways SQ and CD4. These engineers were friends sometimes!!! The CD4 test pressings are the ones to find. The air of good CD4 lps can even beat a tape for ear pleasure!

Have you ever actually seen/heard/heard of a CD-4 pressing of "Wish You Were Here"? That would definitely be a treat to get onto DVD-A!

Was there a relationship between the fact that some SQ titles in USA were done in CD-4 in Japan? not really "Columbia" related but I'm thinking about some CTI and A&M released this way

It is the same reason that some parts of the world released SACD, while others released DVD-Audio ... different distribution arrangements in other markets.

Back