What is BETTER?! PPCM:DVD-Audio 5.1 Surround........96KhZ/24 Bit or Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You realize one is a lossless format and the other isn't right? All else being equal, the DVD-A is the format with the higher resolution. How much that translates to something that is actually audible is debatable, but if you have access to both, why wouldn't you use the lossless version?
Yes I realize one is lossless and that is the Dolby right?....sorry its been a very long couple of days here........ :confused:

To be honest, I've tried PCM over DTS on several blurays, DVDs, etc. -- particularly the King Crimson DVDs/ blu rays -- and PCM sounds rather "flat." If it is lossless, fine, but my old ears really prefer DTS for some reason. Probably a product of my system.

YMMV, of course.
DTS is an incredible codec. Has been since day 1 and IMO has always bested Dolby by miles. Just wish it was more widely adopted.

DTS is an incredible codec. Has been since day 1 and IMO has always bested Dolby by miles. Just wish it was more widely adopted.
It seems like for music, DTS is being adopted pretty well. A decent amount of albums i've bought lately have a PCM and DTS HD-MA stream on it without a Dolby one. Now it looks like DTS:X is going to get left behind by Atmos though.

It seems like for music, DTS is being adopted pretty well. A decent amount of albums i've bought lately have a PCM and DTS HD-MA stream on it without a Dolby one. Now it looks like DTS:X is going to get left behind by Atmos though.
Precisely. For music DTS seems to be more in vogue. I just wish it was used in streaming like Netflix, Disney +, local channels and etc, but now I'm going off in a tangent.

The release was advertised as having a 5.1 DTS-MA mix.
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 8.41.15 PM.png

Hi There; my 'rankings' at the moment are as follows - from worst to best - boring explanation of preferring lossless to lossy.

Dolby AC3
DTS
PCM /or/ Dolby TrueHD /or/ DTS-HD MA /or/ MLP (from DVDA) *
Dolby Atmos /or/ DTS:X (future world on my end) *

* All lossless to my understanding

Less picky in terms of bit rate and sample rate. I am not convinced on the value of 24 bit over 16 bit but of course run 24 bit if I have it (why not?). Not a huge advantage above 44.1kHz or 48kHz - cannot hear it - for others to discuss. Definitely nothing under 44.1kHz and 16 bit, of course.

Precisely. For music DTS seems to be more in vogue. I just wish it was used in streaming like Netflix, Disney +, local channels and etc, but now I'm going off in a tangent.
Considering Dolby Digital uses about a 13:1 compression ratio, compared to 3:1 for DTS, I'd say that's why DTS is the better of the two for music. That's why the folks at DTS marketed some great sounding CD's that featured their system.

Hi There; my 'rankings' at the moment are as follows - from worst to best - boring explanation of preferring lossless to lossy.

Dolby AC3
DTS
PCM /or/ Dolby TrueHD /or/ DTS-HD MA /or/ MLP (from DVDA) *
Dolby Atmos /or/ DTS:X (future world on my end) *

* All lossless to my understanding

Less picky in terms of bit rate and sample rate. I am not convinced on the value of 24 bit over 16 bit but of course run 24 bit if I have it (why not?). Not a huge advantage above 44.1kHz or 48kHz - cannot hear it - for others to discuss. Definitely nothing under 44.1kHz and 16 bit, of course.
That all sounds about right; but isn’t Dolby Atmos basically just more speakers over Dolby TrueHD?

Back