What is the story behind your Avatar

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duran Duran recorded the song Sinner or Saint for The Saint soundtrack (1997). Also produced from those sessions was a moody interlude-type song that called Silva Halo which eventually made it onto their album, Medazzaland. Roger Moore was the original TV Saint, so there ya go. I think the 007 part is self-explanatory. ;)

Aha! Another double naught spy!

Linda
Duran Duran recorded the song Sinner or Saint for The Saint soundtrack (1997). Also produced from those sessions was a moody interlude-type song that called Silva Halo which eventually made it onto their album, Medazzaland. Roger Moore was the original TV Saint, so there ya go. I think the 007 part is self-explanatory. ;)

Mine is from the 70's era Atlantic label. That defined so many of my musical memories (Yes, Zeppelin, CSN), and always top quality production & talent. Plus it's ham dandy as a little avatar.

Mine came from my first round of laser tag in 1990, we all had to have a screen name to keep score and I wanted something that was humorously futuristic, and being old enough to remember "The Jetsons" TV show it was an appropriate choice I thought. Then started using it on chat sites.

Steve Simels. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time (to paraphrase old Ben Kenobi).

Doug

Doug, by the way, I don't know if he cares about surround, but Simels writes most days on a site about power pop music, often with some great undiscovered mp3s for download. Go here to peruse and enjoy: http://powerpop.blogspot.com/ I find this site very entertaining.

Most recently he put up some great old Lovin' Spoonful songs and a couple tunes from the recent Buffalo Springfield reunion tour, including a scorching "Mr. Soul" and a 12-minute "Bluebird"!

My avatar the open-top box disc jacket of the 1978 MCA DiscoVision release of the movie "Earthquake". I collect DiscoVision and have almost every disc MCA released, including some single-sided "floppy" test pressings from 1976 as well as a catalog from 1972 made for their first public showing. The print of Earthquake they used for the disc was the mono optical Sensurround version so it has the control tones on it.

Marrying Maiden is a wonder! Sadly, it's not available in Quad. :( The second album by It's a Beautiful Day is their best and ranks in my 10 favorite albums. No, it doesn't have White Bird. The songs evoke beauty and love. Occasionally, they rock out. Male and a female lead vocalists, and violin is the featured instrument. Let a Woman Flow (to her own natural rhythm) is as good a sentiment as has ever been written. Guys, it's the best advice anyone can give! Let YOUR woman flow and she will enhance your life beyond your wildest dreams. Good Lovin' contends: "even if you haven't got a dime, good lovin' is good all the time." You can take that to the bank. The instrumentals Don & Dewey and Hoedown are perfectly titled. The definitive version of Fred Neil's Dolphins is here. Soapstone Mountain is a rave-up extolling "one room full of love." Galileo speaks of discovery, disappointment and ridicule. It ends with Do You Remember the Sun?, which seems more poignant in this age of global warming. Jerry Garcia guests. "The celebrated rainbow and concentrated moonglow in your eye," indeed!

I was married for 20 years. Sorry, Doug, I'm not looking to get married again. lol!! (see Doug's previous post in this thread.) I'll stay with this avatar for a while. It evokes images of grace, beauty, and gentility.

Linda

OK, this is not a patronizing post \:^) but that is one of my all time favorite albums too. Easily IABD's best.

If anybody ever wants to know what late '60s rock was all about, they just need to listen to "Good Lovin'" It is an incredible rocker!

Sadly, Pattie Santos was killed in an automobile accident of her own making in 1989.

I have been rejected before so I will eventually get over it. A sure sign of maturity. Waaaaaaaaaaaa.

\:^)

Doug

Although U2 did release a song called "Beautiful Day" and it does have the lyric "It's a Beautiful Day", in it, it isn't about the group.

I want to mention that It's a Beautiful Day's debut album is also very good. It has their best known song on it, "White Bird" and it is a stunning, beautiful song. I remember the first time I heard it and I knew I HAD to get the record.

A tidbit about this album - Deep Purple stole the main theme from "Bombay Calling" and used it in their song, "Child in Time" on the album "Deep Purple In Rock"

Doug

I don't believe that the group was an inspiration for U2's "Beautiful Day." I will ask Bono (vox) if that's true when I run into him. lol!!

It's a Beautiful Day is one of the great San Francisco bands. You haven't heard them? Are you sure you're from California? (kidding)

Linda
I've seen the name "It's A Beautiful Day" but never heard of any of their music.
Didn't U2 write a song about them? ;)

Well, actually, the full title of the album is, indeed, "Deep Purple In Rock" because it is a play on words when viewing the album cover. It has been over the years that people, who didn't catch that play on words, referred to it as just "In Rock".

Not really a big deal, though.

Doug

It's a Beautiful Day is one of the great San Francisco bands. You haven't heard them? Are you sure you're from California? (kidding)
I grew up in Chicago and live there, and between the Pacific Northwest & California. Over the years, I always used to see their LP covers in record stores but paid no attention. A lot of the LP's that I bought back in the day (late 70's early 80's) were based on how the album cover looked, not what was beneath them. This is how I discovered a lot of bands, some of which became well known. Getting back to "It's A Beautiful Day", I never took the chance to listen to them like I did with Jefferson Airplane". I guess, I must have miss out on a great artist. :)

Well, actually, the full title of the album is, indeed, "Deep Purple In Rock" because it is a play on words when viewing the album cover. It has been over the years that people, who didn't catch that play on words, referred to it as just "In Rock".

Not really a big deal, though.

Doug
Actually, it IS a big deal.
Thank you for pointing that out! ;)

Hehe, Linda, when you run into Bono and I run into Joni Mitchell (see the thread reviewing Joni's "Court and Spark"), we'll have the answers for everything.

\:^)

Doug

Back