What is your, "I need another set of this, like I need another hole in my head"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a good thread and I just read through all the posts again. It's been thought provoking mainly getting me to self examine where do I fit in to this topic? After all I am not a compulsive music buyer. Maybe at one time in my 20's, yes. But as I grew more discriminating I would look at a purchase & ask myself if I thought I would still want to listen to it 10 years later. If not it went back on the shelf. Being in the 7th decade of living on this planet I have shortened that test to maybe 5 years....

And I am not a completeist. Of all the bands I enjoy I have a complete set of only one: Klaatu. And that's pretty easy since they only had 5 prime albums. Now I have Crime of the Century on LP, CD, and Blu-ray Audio but only 2, total Supertramp albums.

Then it hit me: Rhapsody in Blue. Sometime in the late 80's my wife & I saw a stage performance at a local venue called Starlight Theater:

View attachment 78485

It's not huge, seats only about 7K. But the architecture & aesthetics are wonderful. We had a seat by the orchestra pit. Positioned almost perfectly centered left/right. And close enough to hear good details of the instruments direct sound but far back enough the slight echoes from the semi-sheltered walkways blended perfectly.

The Kansas City Philharmonic was playing and part of the warm up music was Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I was in musical heaven. A classic piece of music, indeed, Americana sounding better than I could have ever imagined. I don't remember what play we saw, just that beautiful selection of music.

So I started actively seeking out recordings that could duplicate as close as possible to that experience. Because of this thread I started digging through my collection of purchases made because of Rhapsody. I found a bakers dozen, 13 of of' em. Maybe there's another one somewhere. I might re-listen to some but I finally gave up on my search because none of them came close to matching the arrangement, tempo, musical detail, or soundfield presentation of that night. Heck I really had my hopes up for an LP with Michael Tilson Thomas & the original Gershwin piano rolls. But that tempo was so much faster and the instruments behind it didn't really contribute they way they should. The others were variably good but failed to capture the magic I was looking for. And nothing in my surround sound bag 'o tricks really sounded "live" either.

So there ya go. If anyone has some suggestions to check out with Rhapsody in Blue, ok sure, I'd give it another try!
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-august-2018-gershwin-moment

QL did you ever get or hear the dbx recorded version of Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East ? I'm sure you just forgot to list it.

Nice review. I don't see a surround version on Discogs; do you know what ever came of those plans? Seems like a natural for NativeDSD.
I have not seen it.
FYI: I'm listening right now on Apple Music--stereo, processed through my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer--and it's very impressive.
I use the Auro-3D upmixer for that. ;)

Is it excessive to own three copies of an album that only came out two months ago? (And I am thinking I probably need the standard vinyl edition too!)

20220502_152059.jpg

6) Anything by the Who (large collection but just got "Live at Kilburn" which I had never even heard of)

I could probably write an encyclopedia on the Who alone.

Tommy (all orig album, except as noted):
MoFi Gold CD (different Eyesight than all others except 1st pressing UK LP),
The mo-fi gold cd was the first version of Tommy I acquired. I got a bit of a surprise with the vocals on Eyesight to the blind on all the other discs. I prefer the mo-fi gold cd version.

'Tommy' by the Who. I have the original CD, MFSL gold disc, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray audio. As for the movie, I have the Region 4 DVD, Region 1 DVD and the Blu Ray. If it gets released in UHD form, I'll probably buy that too!
@Scott65, I was going to say hold onto that MFSL gold disc, because of the alternate version of “Eyesight To The Blind”, but I don’t know if anyone even cares anymore about that kind of stuff. 😆

@Scott65, I was going to say hold onto that MFSL gold disc, because of the alternate version of “Eyesight To The Blind”, but I don’t know if anyone even cares anymore about that kind of stuff. 😆
I had no idea that Eyesight To The Blind on the MoFi gold disc was an alternate version. I think that I may have sold it when I got the 5.1. Ugh.

During the quad era, I was a college student and bought most of my music at used record stores.

I do have two copies of several different recordings.

I have most of them to have a CD copy of something I have on a record to play in the car.

I have 3 copies of Meco's Hooked on Instrumentals: LP, cassette, CD.
I have 2 copies of Meco's Encounters of Every Kind: LP and cassette. The cassette was a gift.
I have CD and LP copies of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night.
I have CD and LP copies of Steppenwolf Live.

I have CD and LP copies of Eugen Jochum conducting 9 Beethoven symphonies (LPs are SQ).
I have two different sets of Bach Brandenburg Concertos, one on LP and the other on CD.

I bought two identical copies of Chrome's Fly on UFO/Caribbean Air Control 12-inch disco
single so I could put both sides in a record stack.

I have two LPs of Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits - one stereo and one SQ.

I have at least 5 recordings of Santana's Black Magic Woman. One is the original 45, and the others are on 4 different SQ demo records.

I bought a new copy of The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band because the first copy I got was worn out when I got it.

I probably have others, but they do not come to mind.
Some more came to mind:

I have LP, cassette, and CD copies of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I have LP and CD copies of Perrey-Kingsley's The IN Sound from Way OUT, and I have a CD set of The OUT Sound from Way IN coming (set of their albums containing this one).

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.

Last edited:
Some more came to mind:

I have LP, cassette, and CD copies of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I have LP and CD copies of Perrey-Kingsley's The IN Sound from Way OUT, and I have a CD set of The OUT Sound from Way IN coming (set of their albums containing this one).

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.

I have LP and CD versions of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells 2, plus a compressed CD I made for use in the car.
I don't have any tapes of Jeff Wayne's, but I DO have the LP, the CD, and the Blu-ray concert, not to mention a set of the album artwork. Yeah, and three or four copies of Tubular Bells. Five different releases of DSOTM, too.

I ended up with 9 Peppers, without trying to buy a lot. Here's the list in order of purchase, with reason* for buying each copy:

Used UK 8 track - had never seen an 8 track before (I have never owned a player)
Used Original mono LP (unplayably scratched) - Because it was an original copy.
US 1970s pic disc LP - a present
Canadian 1970s marble vinyl LP - bought mail order, unseen, pre-internet because I thought it would look cool. It doesn't. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Original UK CD in HMV box - my first 'proper' copy. (Up until this point I was playing my brother's copy.)
Remastered UK CD - because it was a remaster
Used UK 70s stereo LP - handed down from my brother when he gave up vinyl
SDE BD - you know why
Used 70s UK gold inlay cassette - bought because I had so many other formats I thought I might as well. And the gold inlays are fairly iconic. So this is the only copy I bought on purpose to say 'I have another copy of Pepper'.

If I saw a DAT very, very cheap I would 'have' to buy it.

* I'm not sure the word 'reason' is very apt for this thread.

It is amazing how stuff can fall into your lap. The white album was a little bit pricey here when it came out. I was visiting relatives in Chile and there were currency advantages and LPs were just cheaper there. So I bought "The Beatles" there and brought it home (EMI stampers and the pressings are quite good and likely collectible). This would have been in 1971. and the same applied to Let It Be. Much later in the eighties I bought the CD editions.

Now there are 6 pairs of white album CD in the collection. Plus the ones in the Mono and Stereo box sets and the USB apple. And , and........

Back