What is your, "I need another set of this, like I need another hole in my head"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Quad Linda...
What, no mfsl gold CD of The Who 'Who's Next'?
You slacker....😏

QUOTE="Quad Linda, post: 625953, member: 6089"]
6) Anything by the Who (large collection but just got "Live at Kilburn" which I had never even heard of)

I could probably write an encyclopedia on the Who alone.

Tommy (all orig album, except as noted):
US cassette (black plastic), US cassette (clear plastic case, different order!), 2 US LP, Ode Symphonic 2 Q8, 2 Ode QS, 1 Ode CD, 2 LP Movie sdtk, 2 CD Japan movie sdtk, 2 German CD (bullseye era), MoFi Gold CD (different Eyesight than all others except 1st pressing UK LP), 2 CD yellow RCA Broadway sdtk, 2 hybrid SACD 5.1, DVD-A, super deluxe box, 2nd super deluxe box DVD-V movie & BD movie
Unless I've forgotten some, 17 copies of Tommy in various versions

Who's Next Can't wait for super ultra deluxe for-suckers-only box set! IMHO, their best!
cassette, UK LP (best analog), German CD (bulls-eye era BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL), US CD, US MCA Gold CD, US expanded CD, US 2 CD expanded, Japan SHM-SACD
8 copies so far. Hopefully, the next one will be the best!

Last edited:
And in these inflationary times it's always mighty gratifying to find bargains in music .... and films! I've been purchasing back~up copies for pennies on the dollar [I don't store my music on computer] in case of laser rot. Just added three Elton John Multi~CH SACDs which I purchased from Deep Discount for under $8 each [with their 10/15% off coupon codes] and unlike the domestic versions these were pressed in the EU and Austria [making them 'psychologically' perhaps sound better] and the Getz Gilberto Stereo SACD for a similar price. And during DD's recent MQA~CD 'blow out' sale, I was able to purchase the DGG and DECCA UHQ MQA~CDs of the Beethoven Piano Sonata series performed by Wilhelm Backhaus and the Amadeus Quartet performing the Beethoven String Quartets series for under $9 each [they're still listed at CDJapan for $25 each with that dreaded DHL s/h charge] and a couple of VENUS JAZZ Single layered Stereo SACDs for $15 each [still priced at $40 and above at Acoustic Sounds/CD Japan].

And then I've been upgrading my BD~V films to UHD4K ........ and in almost EVERY instance, the uptick in quality is awesome! And if you're into 3D flicks and have a LG capable 3D OLED monitor .... you're in for a treat as almost every 3D movie I have looks spectacular on the LG OLED 3D TVs ... Just watched the AVENGERS last night in 3D and checking the prices at Amazon, you can actually purchase that 3D 4 disc set USED in VERY GOOD condition for under $10.

And I do have 3 copies of the Beatles LOVE album because for under $16 for the MLP DVD~A 5.1/RBCD set, WHY NOT?

Not to mention the 18 192/24 STEREO/MONO DVD~As I recently purchased from HDTT replicated 'mostly' from 15ips Tapes of classic and obscure JAZZ recordings from Columbia, Riverside, Verve, RCA et alia which sound simply amazing. They're NOT replicating DVD~As anymore so I had to take advantage of these sonic treasures!

And like humprof, I have multiple box sets of the Beethoven Nine Symphonies*, the Mahler and Sibelius cycles and am about to add the newly recorded 7 disc DGG set of Strauss to my collection....all different interpretations by world class conductors/orchestras! * In fact, just added Michael Tilson Thomas' recent Beethoven Nine cycle [conducting the world class Berliner Philharmoniker orchestra] to my collection...5 disc box set of Multi~CH SACDs!

And the BEAT goes on .... and ON!

People are dumping CDs and higher rez discs. Half price books and Vintage stock both have clearance shelves. HPB are $2.00 and Vintage stock 0.99
One almost feels guilty buying certain things at those prices. Like multiple disc sets of famous artists on fancy labels for $2.00. Something that someone probably paid $30 or $35 dollars for. And even the ocassional high rez disc. Both stores date them when they go in the regular classification bins and after a certain date they end up in clearance.

People are dumping CDs and higher rez discs. Half price books and Vintage stock both have clearance shelves. HPB are $2.00 and Vintage stock 0.99
One almost feels guilty buying certain things at those prices. Like multiple disc sets of famous artists on fancy labels for $2.00. Something that someone probably paid $30 or $35 dollars for. And even the ocassional high rez disc. Both stores date them when they go in the regular classification bins and after a certain date they end up in clearance.

Gene, I recall the days of those Columbia House, BMG [RCA] Vinyl, CDs and even Open Reel tape 'giveaway' clubs where you could get 12 or 13 discs for $1 if you committed to buying an equal amount [or even fewer] at list price + p/h, sales tax!

And it was a known fact that many got those discs, LPs or even Open Reels for $1 and NEVER bought another disc/tape! Of course, savvy accountants representing these clubs ensured they never lost a penny as they probably padded the amount of the discs [list price and above] and garnered considerable write offs for their bosses.

And I recall when Columbia House started to include multi~CH SACDs as part of those 12/13 for $1 bundles which included Elton John, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, the Carpenters and some choice jazz/classical multi~CH SACDs, as well.

And how many 'subscribers' ordered these bundles under different aliases [pre internet days] and literally made out like bandits...which, in effect, THEY WERE?

In an aging population and considering that most purchasers of higher res/surround discs are male, when a collector 'expires' most of those once coveted treasures either go to the local library or to Goodwill or are sold at tag sales for literally pennies on the dollar [like 25 cents each]!

So MY advice is to enjoy them while you can....and when you come across that occasional bargain, relish it...because otherwise they'll either end up in the dumpster or a huge bonfire 🔥 as even the survivors who might inherit these multichannel discs haven't the means to play them on their systems [like multi~CH SACD, BD~A or DVD~Audio]!

Last edited:
Supposedly, no royalties on record club releases were ever paid to the artists. They were categorized as "promotional," hence no royalties. I had also heard that Pink Floyd wouldn't participate. They didn't need to.

So, in the end who were REALLY the BANDITS? Bilking the artists out of possibly millions in royalties and shamelessly writing off millions as well with their 'creative' accounting practices!

My stereo buddy for 17 years was one of those mail order bandits. He also would juggle credit cards to take part in a year of low interest or whatever the promotion was, and the switch again before they could start gouging him. He worked way too hard at it but it was fun to watch. He had a LOT more CDs than I did. (when he passed away suddenly in 1994)

The accounting practices you refer to are called, "funny money" and now has spread to the medical enterprises.

Supposedly, no royalties on record club releases were ever paid to the artists. They were categorized as "promotional," hence no royalties. I had also heard that Pink Floyd wouldn't participate. They didn't need to.
Linda, that is not quite right. For an artist to have their album(s) be in the clubs, they had to agree to a lower royalty rate (and of course the club had to want the title in their catalog). Had the club sales been considered promotional, the club sales could not count toward RIAA gold & platinum awards.
The "free" ones you got for joining were considered sales too by the RIAA because you paid something (a penny). Artists loved to have their records awarded gold & platinum because just having the awards created more sales. Sort of like a movie winning 'best picture' spurs interest and ticket & video sales.
If Pink Floyd albums were not in the clubs it would be because they wouldn't accept the lower rate.

Back to the topic...The Allman Brothers "Live at The Fillmore East". How many times has this been re-mastered, re-released?

And for sheer discreteness, myself and others consider the original "lossy" DTS Entertainment version the BEST. Why that wasn't included on the recent 3 BD~A set still remains a mystery!

MjktMTUzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

And for sheer discreteness, myself and others consider the original "lossy" DTS Entertainment version the BEST. Why that wasn't included on the recent 3 BD~A set still remains a mystery!

MjktMTUzNy5qcGVn.jpeg
I was thinking The Allman Brothers also, but still no surround for Brothers And Sisters, which I would cherish.
The most fascinating thing about the 3 BD-A box set was the book. I never had any idea that Tom Dowd mixed and cut songs from the 3 nights to make the original Live At The Fillmore East, so with that knowledge you will never hear some of the songs in the 3 disc set that we all grew up on, fascinating.

Last edited:
Back to the topic...The Allman Brothers "Live at The Fillmore East". How many times has this been re-mastered, re-released?
Not sure about the stereo remasters, but there are four different multichannel remixes:
  1. 1974 CD-4/Q8/QR
  2. 1997 DTS-CD (I've heard people claim this disc uses the CD-4/Q8/QR quadraphonic mix, but it's completely different)
  3. 2004 SACD (Jeff Glixman 5.1 mix)
  4. 2014 Blu-Ray Audio (Kevin Reeves 5.1 mix)

I would love a multi disc set of Steely Dan in surround.

EDIT: sorry I read the thread topic wrong, I am going in the opposite direction, but I am cool now.

Loved the MoFi Gold CD of Who's Next reference. Conspicuous in its' absence. One of my 10 fave albums. Actually. I've never heard that pressing. I had already bought the US CD and MCA gold. My rationale in skipping the MoFi Gold was that all CD's pale against the German CD (bull's eye era) and/or UK LP. IMHO, it beats the Japan SHM-SACD, as well. A related issue was that the German CD of EJ Madman put the MoFi Gold to shame. It seemed that that UK album was mastered better and/or working from an earlier generation of tape. Who's next was likely to have the same issue on MoFi CD. So, I passed.

Wagonmaster, that sounds more plausible regarding royalties. I stand corrected. My comments were based on having heard it, though I prefaced it with the disclaimer "supposedly." Thanks for setting the record straight.

Also, I'll try to be a better person and stay on topic.

Allmans Fillmore 2 CD-4's was my first and most listened to copy.
Followed by CD, 2 CD expanded, DTS CD, and BD expanded. I passed on SACD surround, since I also like the DTS CD for surround. Admittedly, I've not a-b'ed DTS CD to BD. Kudos to SJCorne. I wasn't aware that SACD was yet another mix. Will add 4th surround copy.

Copland: Appalachian Spring
Q8 Ormandy/Philadelphia, Copland Conducts 2ch CBS LP w/Lincoln Portrait w/H. Fonda, Copland conducts CBS SQ w/rehearsal 45, Copland Conducts 2ch LP w/45, Copland 2ch LP direct to digital Russell Davies/St. Paul Chamber Orch, Copland conducts Sony 2ch SACD w/Billy the Kid, Copland conducts Sony (D-V) Quad SACD w/rehearsal 45 on SACD layer

BS&T 2 In my top 10 albums
2 ch LP, Q8, Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed LP, Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed LP dbx encoded (best analog 2ch), Japan CD, expanded CD, Sony 2ch SACD, MoFi 2ch SACD, AF Quad SACD, 4 SACD AP Quad Bloodlines box

Full Sail - Loggins & Messina
cassette, Q8, SQ x 2 (1 still sealed w/Korvettes sticker). Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed LP, Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed LP dbx encoded (best analog 2ch), CD, MoFi Gold CD, AF Quad SACD

..enough for now...

During the quad era, I was a college student and bought most of my music at used record stores.

I do have two copies of several different recordings.

I have most of them to have a CD copy of something I have on a record to play in the car.

I have 3 copies of Meco's Hooked on Instrumentals: LP, cassette, CD.
I have 2 copies of Meco's Encounters of Every Kind: LP and cassette. The cassette was a gift.
I have CD and LP copies of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night.
I have CD and LP copies of Steppenwolf Live.

I have CD and LP copies of Eugen Jochum conducting 9 Beethoven symphonies (LPs are SQ).
I have two different sets of Bach Brandenburg Concertos, one on LP and the other on CD.

I bought two identical copies of Chrome's Fly on UFO/Caribbean Air Control 12-inch disco
single so I could put both sides in a record stack.

I have two LPs of Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits - one stereo and one SQ.

I have at least 5 recordings of Santana's Black Magic Woman. One is the original 45, and the others are on 4 different SQ demo records.

I bought a new copy of The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band because the first copy I got was worn out when I got it.

I probably have others, but they do not come to mind.

This has been a good thread and I just read through all the posts again. It's been thought provoking mainly getting me to self examine where do I fit in to this topic? After all I am not a compulsive music buyer. Maybe at one time in my 20's, yes. But as I grew more discriminating I would look at a purchase & ask myself if I thought I would still want to listen to it 10 years later. If not it went back on the shelf. Being in the 7th decade of living on this planet I have shortened that test to maybe 5 years....

And I am not a completeist. Of all the bands I enjoy I have a complete set of only one: Klaatu. And that's pretty easy since they only had 5 prime albums. Now I have Crime of the Century on LP, CD, and Blu-ray Audio but only 2, total Supertramp albums.

Then it hit me: Rhapsody in Blue. Sometime in the late 80's my wife & I saw a stage performance at a local venue called Starlight Theater:

1651509545123.png

It's not huge, seats only about 7K. But the architecture & aesthetics are wonderful. We had a seat by the orchestra pit. Positioned almost perfectly centered left/right. And close enough to hear good details of the instruments direct sound but far back enough the slight echoes from the semi-sheltered walkways blended perfectly.

The Kansas City Philharmonic was playing and part of the warm up music was Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I was in musical heaven. A classic piece of music, indeed, Americana sounding better than I could have ever imagined. I don't remember what play we saw, just that beautiful selection of music.

So I started actively seeking out recordings that could duplicate as close as possible to that experience. Because of this thread I started digging through my collection of purchases made because of Rhapsody. I found a bakers dozen, 13 of of' em. Maybe there's another one somewhere. I might re-listen to some but I finally gave up on my search because none of them came close to matching the arrangement, tempo, musical detail, or soundfield presentation of that night. Heck I really had my hopes up for an LP with Michael Tilson Thomas & the original Gershwin piano rolls. But that tempo was so much faster and the instruments behind it didn't really contribute they way they should. The others were variably good but failed to capture the magic I was looking for. And nothing in my surround sound bag 'o tricks really sounded "live" either.

So there ya go. If anyone has some suggestions to check out with Rhapsody in Blue, ok sure, I'd give it another try!

Back