What Song Was Your First Experience With Quadraphonic/MC?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birrrdy!

QQ Supporter
Think back to the first song you consciously listed to in quad or surround (movies don’t count). What was it, on what format, and was it a good experience??

Also interested in any details you might want to share (when, on what equipment, social setting, etc.)

Mine was “Seven Island Suite” by Gordon Lightfoot (Sundown album) on quadraphonic 8-track. Was trying out my first player (Technics) circa 2010 and was hooked ever since!

I have a few songs :p :rocks

Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Alan Parsons On Air, Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies, Steely Dan Gaucho. This was back in the late 90's using the incredible DTS Millenium 2.4.6 decoder on my Onkyo AVR. First experienced at Laserland in Syosset, NY and I walked out with the 4 discs and the Millenium 2.4.6.:SB

HFO.jpg
On Air.jpg
SRUTS.jpg
Gaucho.jpg
DTS-millenium.jpg

When Pioneer swicthed over to AC3 and I had my Theta Laserdisc outfitted for the newest DISCRETE format....myself and my friends used to watch this extraordinary Japan Import Laserdisc in HEAVY ROTATION. Not only was it a crowd pleaser but an awesome guitar virtuoso display!

Rainbow Goblins Story / Live At Budokan album cover

Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– Rainbow Goblins Story / Live At Budokan

this goes waaay back.....I was pretty darn young...my parents had - trying to remember - A Panasonic or Technics - quad system with a quad 8 track player ( my gosh - I "think" they may still have that 8 track player in their house somewhere !! will have to look and see )................anyways..........

I think it was Pure Prairie League. Or it may have been Bread

When Pioneer swicthed over to AC3 and I had my Theta Laserdisc outfitted for the newest DISCRETE format....myself and my friends used to watch this extraordinary Japan Import Laserdisc in HEAVY ROTATION. Not only was it a crowd pleaser but an awesome guitar virtuoso display!

Rainbow Goblins Story / Live At Budokan album cover

Masayoshi Takanaka ‎– Rainbow Goblins Story / Live At Budokan
Haha my friend! I also have a Theta LD player (in the closet) and Rainbow Goblins in original performance LD storybook style. My copy cover pic is not the same as you posted. I must research....

But, either way a classic.

Last edited:
Haha my friend! I also have a Theta LD player (in the closet) and Rainbow Goblins in original performance LD storybook style. My copy cover pic is not the same as you posted. I must research....

But, either way a classic.

Actually, SW, the original Tananaka Japanese Import was STEREO but naturally I ran it through my Tate processor and blasted it with room filling sound and bass to match. Here is the original Laserdisc Cover.......

I recall my neighbor's teenage daughter used to phone me early AM: "Ralph, can you please TURN DOWN THE BASS!'

R.df61e7887ac59c8e60a13cb5212fad8b

Last edited:
Mine was War of the worlds, many years after I bought it, I was big into movies and had a surround sound setup but never actually played the album using my receiver, only ever played it on my cd player, when I did finally play it in surround sound it blew my mind and still does, one of the best 5.1 mixes ever in my opinion and all of you guys should have it if not already in your collection

I heard part of a Stereo-4 encoded LP at Radio Shack in mid-1972 (I was impressed and in late 1972, bought a Sony stereo amp that was also a quad control center).

In the spring of 1975, I took my CD-4 LP of J. Geils Band/Nightmares into an audio store, the salesman played the whole album (Marantz demod, don't remember the other equip), that was the most sensational quad presentation I'd heard.

I didn't get a quad system until 1991, 2 Pioneer SX-2300 receivers, 4 Pioneer speakers and a matrix decoder I built [Pioneer quadralizer matrix, not QS or SQ]

My setup did a fair job decoding encoded LPs and a good job decoding DS encoded VHS and Laserdisc movies.

Kirk Bayne

I'm honestly guessing, but this is a very good guess.

1997 - Fleetwood Mac (The Dance on DVD-Video)

This title is the one that, at the time, made my jaw hit the floor. I had a Polk Audio 5.1 system, built around LS 50's (sort of a wedge shape) and it really did sound super. I had it in a pretty small room, but for whatever reason, it sounded great.

When I first read about the sacd and dvd-a formats with surround sound I was immediately interested. I bought the PF DSOTM sacd when it was first released before I even had a way to play it. I quickly bought a cheap Sony 5.1 system in a box and, upon the first listen, felt like I had experienced hearing it for the first time. But the first song to really blow me away was "The Last Resort" on the Eagle's Hotel California dvd-a.

As a millennial, my first surround music experience came from optical disc. I'm pretty sure the first multichannel release to grace our household was the 2003 SACD of The Dark Side of the Moon, but we didn't have an SACD player until many years later. As such, I think I probably heard Porcupine Tree in surround before Pink Floyd, and it was probably the Arriving Somewhere... DVD. If not, then it was *AHEM* a "borrowed" ripped copy of In Absentia or Deadwing. 🙄 But really, even though I wasn't able to hear it at the time, it was Dark Side in '03 that sparked my interest in multichannel music.

Late bloomer here.

I remember back in high school a friend's uncle had a quad receiver. Just using it for stereo and it had blown rear channels or something. Not any kind of surround experience there whatsoever beyond "Hey, what's that?" and thinking it sounded like something I'd be into. This would have been around 1982 or something. Right in the dead zone it looks like! So I didn't get very far! I found a SQ copy of Dark Side in a used shop one day. (Still haven't listened to it to this day! Digital took over first. A welcome turn of events for me.)

I guess it would have been seeing Dave Gilmour's Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. They opened up with the first half of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. So... I believe that's the first song I heard in surround.

It wasn't until around 2000 that I picked up a DVDA player, a few DVDA discs, and set up the extra channels. Immediately turned to the computer over that flaky DVD player and it's been a lot of happiness and light ever since. Discovered the sharing going on online with out of print stuff. That safety copy of Dark Side appeared. Then everything suddenly seemed to take off.

Does the Radio Shack “Quatravox” converter count? But seriously......I think my first real experience was listening to a Q8 demonstration tape that had Santana’s “Black Magic Woman” on it. Thoroughly impressed I gotta say. I was a very late adaptor as they say and it wasn’t until I picked up a dual 2/4 channel 8track deck that I become curious about the format.

So I checked out a local used record store in the area that I knew had loads of 8 tracks. Mind you this was only some 10-15 years ago. Not only did they have lots of 8 tracks, but they had boxes of used Q8’s also. The thing I remember is that they must have had at least 10 copies of the first John Denver album on Q8. Probably still there 😀.

Back