What to do, ultimately, with my equipment albums/discs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be a very, very large room to fit an entire orchestra inside it. o_O

Being funny huh?

No, orchestras are too hard for a home audio system. In my experience, an audio system simply will not do an orchestra realistically.... it's just too dynamic, too big. The acoustic power in a hall is immense compared to even a Kilowatt audio amp!

But, smaller stuff, like a bluegrass group, Zappa doing his thing, the kind of groups that can create a realistic (such as it is) trick of appearing in your room, that's the stuff that I'm referring to.

EDIT: Right now I'm listening to Neil Young, Zuma, Cortez the Killer. Tidal Hifi Master. In my darn good office setup, with very good English mini monitors (superb by Stereophile's review standards) I can hear the music really well, with great imaging (near field). But, when played through the Maggies in the living room, the sound takes on a much different interpretation... much more weight... it fills the room better, that's the best I can explain. Is it better? I don't know... I got another speaker/amp system in the living room and that one sounds far more realistic in the sweet spot... but... it is indeed jaw dropping but somehow... heck, it is different. Just not as good from the next room.

Last edited:
Being funny huh?
Sure but I am more of a "I am there" kind of guy rather than a "They are here" guy with large ensembles for obvious reasons. You should try the Maggies in multichannel. I recall a massive 5.0 system with 6 large Magnepans (2 as a wedge for the center channel) in a huge room that went a long way towards bringing the orchestra into the room.

Sure but I am more of a "I am there" kind of guy rather than a "They are here" guy with large ensembles for obvious reasons. You should try the Maggies in multichannel. I recall a massive 5.0 system with 6 large Magnepans (2 as a wedge for the center channel) in a huge room that went a long way towards bringing the orchestra into the room.

I have thought about doing just that many times... you see... as a matter of fact I got a "spare" pair of 12s and a "spare" set of mono block Aleph 5 amps... so I could match those with the 1.7s and the Aleph 2s... all I would need is the Maggie center channel and a suitable amp... perhaps use an ARC D70-II.... I could even hook up the pair of Entec woofers for serious bass reinforcement.

The problem, you see, is that my wife, as understanding as she is, is likely not going to be amused by such a set up in the living room. I mean, it's mostly for my use, she uses the den with the TV and HT.... she already noted once that the living room looks like a bachelor pad ( clean, though... I keep it very clean and allow the Christmas Tree in there ).

BTW, I was listening, today, to some LP reissues of recordings from the 70s. Speakers were the small Audio Note and a 25 wpc class A amp. Trust me, I could hear the triangle/percussion clearly, the bass "slam" of the timpani, the bass of the contrabasses, the sonority of the brass.. just fine... but not as if I were on seats L32/33 in our local symphony hall ( one seat off the center line so we can watch the soloist pianist's hands). The sound at home is much different than the real thing. It can sound very, very good, but it's just not the same.

Last edited:
Wow! That would be amazing to hear

I'm only gonna be 42 this year. Elvis died at 42. My uncle Peter died at 42. My father made it to 53. My other uncle 63. Suffice to say, the males on both sides of my family are not known for living long. Since both uncles died of heart failure, we were hoping for an autopsy on my latest uncle but his widow couldn't be convinced that there was a point. (My brother and I would love to know if there's a congenital thing going on). Regardless, I've had this strange feeling for the last couple years that I'm on borrowed time.

Since I have no family myself, no extended family (no survivors on moms' side; fathers side has been.... granted their wish....) I too don't want my collection to simply wind up in the trash. It may not be valuable monetarily, but it's curiosity value is through the roof. Prior to the world ending, I had been in contact with a museum in Seattle; the Museum of Pop Culture. The proposed plan would be that my collection would be donated to the museum with the dream being that there could be some kind of setup or display where not only could people SEE the devices and the cartridges, but at the same time have a small room where patrons could actually experience Quadraphonic sound.

The response I received was positive. They were at least intrigued by the idea and would give it some consideration. So who knows? I might be remembered for something other than being a complete asshole. Who'd have thunk that to be possible? :LOL:

I'm only gonna be 42 this year. Elvis died at 42. My uncle Peter died at 42. My father made it to 53. My other uncle 63. Suffice to say, the males on both sides of my family are not known for living long. Since both uncles died of heart failure, we were hoping for an autopsy on my latest uncle but his widow couldn't be convinced that there was a point. (My brother and I would love to know if there's a congenital thing going on). Regardless, I've had this strange feeling for the last couple years that I'm on borrowed time.

Since I have no family myself, no extended family (no survivors on moms' side; fathers side has been.... granted their wish....) I too don't want my collection to simply wind up in the trash. It may not be valuable monetarily, but it's curiosity value is through the roof. Prior to the world ending, I had been in contact with a museum in Seattle; the Museum of Pop Culture. The proposed plan would be that my collection would be donated to the museum with the dream being that there could be some kind of setup or display where not only could people SEE the devices and the cartridges, but at the same time have a small room where patrons could actually experience Quadraphonic sound.

The response I received was positive. They were at least intrigued by the idea and would give it some consideration. So who knows? I might be remembered for something other than being a complete asshole. Who'd have thunk that to be possible? :LOL:
stage iv mCRPC here for 5 years, currently ned. i could help seed such a project with some LPs and Q8s. i want them to be heard, even the Enoch Lights. It would only take a few people to make something simple that works. The real question is if there would be sufficient demand.

I'm getting up there, and I have no heirs, so it's a quandary.

1675633256614.png

Back