Quantcast

What to do while in Lock Down (CV Isolation).

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
I'm on the air right now.....

Over on the WESU website we have a list of our 500 favorite albums. Later this month on Chocolate Cake I'll play selections from the albums that I submitted to the list. However, this week (and next week) I'll play selections from albums that other great WESU DJs submitted to the top 500. We'll hear music from Prince, Stevie Wonder, Lou Reed, John Lennon, Richard and Linda Thompson, Paul McCartney, Pat Metheny, XTC, The Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Tom Waits, Procol Harum, Genesis, Kraftwerk, David Bowie, The Clash, Frank Zappa, Laurie Anderson, and Electric Light Orchestra.

5 PM - 6:30 PM EST online at http://radio.wesleyan.edu:8000/stream or 88.1 FM if you're in central CT.

And here's our top 500 list!
I'm sorry i missed your show--i'm going to have to set up some sort of notification! I did check out the station's top 500 list, and i'm fascinated by the anomaly in the top 20: with one exception, each release is a classic title from the 60s or 70s; the one exception is Frank Ocean's 2012 release, Channel Orange, which comes in at #9. My students turned me on to that one upon its release (they kept me--among other things--abreast of stellar new music), and it is certainly worthy of inclusion on such a list (though it would not make my top 20, but subjectivity is the beauty of such lists for me). Any idea how it ranked so high on your station's list . . . beyond the obvious fact that DJs voted for it? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Went snowshoeing today down to the stream in the reservation right behind my house. It was very nice, quiet solitude with no one else around...And quite a workout, especially going back up the hill. One of the great things about snowshoeing is that I can wander off the trail into the woods anywhere I want. I need not worry about getting lost because I just follow my tracks back out.

View attachment 60420
I don't live where there is snow but I have been in it quite a few times. This photo and your description reminded me of the very good feeling of that solace. Everything seems more quiet, where at the same time all little noises are so crisp and distinct.
Thanks for sharing this.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm sorry i missed your show--i'm going to have to set up some sort of notification! I did check out the station's top 500 list, and i'm fascinated by the anomaly in the top 20: with one exception, each release is a classic title from the 60s or 70s; the one exception is Frank Ocean's 2012 release, Channel Orange, which comes in at #9. My students turned me on to that one upon its release (they kept me--among other things--abreast of stellar new music), and it is certainly worthy of inclusion on such a list (though it would not make my top 20, but subjectivity is the beauty of such lists for me). Any idea how it ranked so high on your station's list . . . beyond the obvious fact that DJs voted for it? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

I think the presence of Frank Ocean on the list can be attributed to the fact that the djs at the station are a mix of older community volunteers like myself and college students who are of course much younger. I have to admit I was completely unfamiliar with him, his presence on the list encouraged me to check him out.

If you ever want to hear an episode you missed, I archive them online. Two options:

iTunes
Archive.org

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I'm on the air right now.....

Over on the WESU website we have a list of our 500 favorite albums. Later this month on Chocolate Cake I'll play selections from the albums that I submitted to the list. However, this week I'll play selections from albums that other great WESU DJs submitted to the top 500. We'll hear music from Living Colour, Jimi Hendrix, King Crimson, Stevie Wonder, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Tom Waits, David Bowie, Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell and more.

5 PM - 6:30 PM EST online at http://radio.wesleyan.edu:8000/stream or 88.1 FM if you're in central CT.

And here's our top 500 list!

Sonik Wiz

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Several of our notable members live in cold Canada, some others live in the Southern half that rarely sees cold temps. And of course elsewhere around the world where things seem mostly hot or cold year round. Here in the middle of the middle we have 4 maybe 5 seasons a year & I like the variety. It's cold here now & we had a decent snow yesterday.

SNOW.jpg

I especially enjoy the snow at dusk When possible I like to sip some Bailys, look out at the snowscape & contemplate what it would be like if I ever had sex with Barbara Eden. Haha just jokin. Threw that in for Doug if he reads this.

But I do like the Bailys & can only drink it in winter. Enjoying the snow & liqueur is easier now being retired. And even COVID restrictions help out I guess. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I'd be busy doing something else somewhere else.

Another tradition when it all syncs up to revisit one of my favorite singers, a favorite song of mine with touching video to go with it, Chisato Moritaka: Snow Again

weekendtoy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I don't live where there is snow but I have been in it quite a few times. This photo and your description reminded me of the very good feeling of that solace. Everything seems more quiet, where at the same time all little noises are so crisp and distinct.
Thanks for sharing this.
I'm out snowshoeing or cross country skiing at least several times a week. My lifelong passion however has been snowmobiling. Something I started doing with my dad in the 70's and I now enjoy with my kids 50 years later. My son Jacob and I got out for a ride this weekend. He don't hang with the old man much these days, but when it comes to snowmobiling, he is always in.

20210109_145453_HDR_resized.jpg

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
These discussions about snow are relevant to me right now...I miss being in Florida...but there are moments here where the snow just seems to slow everything down a notch... a certain solace overcomes my body...I go back in time to being a kid again...wishing I had my lightning glider sled and being in my old neighborhood....seeing those childhood friends again....what a great time in my life that was....just being a kid again...no worries...my whole life in front of me

Clement

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Man, do i regret shaving off my Covid beard–you look awesome, comrade! I stopped shaving again on 1 January after i saw your wind-blown PHOTO. Let's hope the stuff referenced in the penultimate paragraph doesn't happen:

Last edited:

The56Kid

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Man, do i regret shaving off my Covid beard–you look awesome, comrade! I stopped shaving again on 1 January after i saw your wind-blown PHOTO. Let's hope the stuff referenced in the penultimate paragraph doesn't happen:
Thanks for the beard compliment, Comrade. It’s definitely come in handy during these frigid times. I too wish you’d remained my fellow Covid beard bro!

Very interesting beard history article. I’d much rather be able to grow a beard than not be able to, but maybe being bald helps that way of thinking!