• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What to do with some vintage quad equipment from the basement?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested to have people suggest how to go about testing them, because it is obvious that nobody is going to pay like $1k without some guarantees they work. What are people going to be looking to know? E.g., I am sure the pots and switches are going to be noisy after all these years. Is that an issue? Or is it just that sounds still comes from all four channels when fed some random stereo input? I suppose I could easily check that with some headphones. Just what would somebody need to know to pay more than a couple hundred for these decoders?

Also, I don't know of any SQ/QS digital sources that I have access to. Are there some obvious ones that I might have and not know were quad? I have ~1000 CDs spanning rock and classical, going back to the beginning of CDs. I Do still own many SQ and QS LPs, but don't have a turntable setup--all digital streaming now. Perhaps after retirement I will get around to digitzing. Right after I digitize all the film photos of my daughter, etc., etc. :D

Again, thanks for the input. I remember being passionate about quad back in the 70's. I see many people still are. I remember that I have a couple of Steely Dan LPs where the quad versions had alternative takes--alternative takes that I thought were much better than the standard stereo versions. That was very cool. Would love to have those to listen to now.
Here is an SQ test, ten seconds in each position.

Attachments

• SQ Test (8 Positions).zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 172
I would be interested to have people suggest how to go about testing them, because it is obvious that nobody is going to pay like $1k without some guarantees they work. What are people going to be looking to know? E.g., I am sure the pots and switches are going to be noisy after all these years. Is that an issue? Or is it just that sounds still comes from all four channels when fed some random stereo input? I suppose I could easily check that with some headphones. Just what would somebody need to know to pay more than a couple hundred for these decoders?

Also, I don't know of any SQ/QS digital sources that I have access to. Are there some obvious ones that I might have and not know were quad? I have ~1000 CDs spanning rock and classical, going back to the beginning of CDs. I Do still own many SQ and QS LPs, but don't have a turntable setup--all digital streaming now. Perhaps after retirement I will get around to digitzing. Right after I digitize all the film photos of my daughter, etc., etc. :D

Again, thanks for the input. I remember being passionate about quad back in the 70's. I see many people still are. I remember that I have a couple of Steely Dan LPs where the quad versions had alternative takes--alternative takes that I thought were much better than the standard stereo versions. That was very cool. Would love to have those to listen to now.
How much for the lot of quad albums?

Hah, don't remember at all what I have. Been more than a couple of *decades*! They are truly buried, but perhaps next semester I will try to excavate them (they are literally not reachable without moving a great number of stored items).

CD4 isn't going to be easy since it doesn't have a digital counterpart, at least not yet.

But you could do a cursory test of QS & SQ not decoding a source but by using each one's synth function on a good CD. There are some that synth quad much better than others, but what you'd be looking for is

scratchy sounds with controls

a channel dropout or much lower volume relative to the others, which may indicate a cold solder joint, pot or switch problem. The QRX-x001 receivers had problems with this, but not sure about the decoders even tho I own both!

unusual distortion type noise, unstable overall soundfield or squishy sounds that might indicate a decoder chip problem. I did have this issue with the QSD1 I bought off ebay, which was diagnosed as nearly all the chips needing replaced. My Audionics as bought had good rear left-right separation but front was center-focused with almost no left-right separation; that was diagnosed as one of the Tate chips, what he called the control chip being defective...luckily the restorer knew someone with a completely dead Audionics so I bought that person's chip so the restorer could fix it and it had worked fantastically since.

Re-capping (replacing capacitors) is something to be anticipated but what you'd be looking for other than control noise is some indication of a chip problem. My guess is if you had them stored, and they worked OK before being stored and not subjected to power surges, then the chips may be OK.

QRX Restore in Washington state can restore the Sansui for sure and possibly the Audionics if needed. But the chip supply for the QSD1 is very limited and as far as I know, replacement Tate chips for the Audionics are non-existent unless he has or can get his hands on one. I got lucky with mine :)

There were only about 250 Audionics S&IC made. The QSD-1's used to be quite rare to find on Ebay but for the last 2 yrs, you might find one here or there FS. Of course, the shape it's in is the issue, mine was not in good shape even tho the seller advertised it as in perfect working condition. It was not. It had a noisy background noise, not a hiss or hum but definitely a distorted sound from some of the channels.

My thought is if the synth function seems to work OK on a few CDs, then the straight decoding function may also be OK (tho not guaranteed) since the chips are used for both. It's a start anyway :)

Hi, just joined after I was cleaning out back of basement storage and came across some vintage quad units:
(1) Audionics Space and Image Composer (I recall making down payment and waiting, waiting, waiting, so original unit)
(2) Sansui QSD-1
(3) Marantz 4400 quad receiver (w/oscilloscope), including wood case and SQ decoder (have to locate that)

Anyway, was about to put the stuff into the trash ;), but decided to first look online to see if anyone has interest in this type of gear still. Appears that might be the case!

Thanks for helpful suggestions!

Along with everyone else so far: do not throw those units away! Please!

You purchased some high end equipment back in the day, Top of the Line even, and all three units are still highly revered and sought after today. They are definitely worth selling or at least handing off, rather than sending to the junk pile. Perhaps you'd be able to make ubertrout's day by helping you clear them away. If I hadn't already collected these models myself, I would be willing to drive all the way from Maine to take them off your hands, that's how worthwhile they are!

Hello NC3 & all, what ever happened to your quad equipment & 4ch Lp collection?
Reading this old post struck me to ask? Maybe you still have the equipment, Lp's or the Marantz?
Finally got "stuff" out of basement & time to go? If you're still looking to get rid of these things, I am interested. What can I do? Intrigued, Mike

We touched base - by a weird quirk we're in the same town. I think he decided to hang on to the stuff in the interim, and once pandemic stuff clears we were discussing touching base again.

Nice to here, good luck! I'm looking for a Marantz 4400. Post caught my attention, if you make a connection & not intrested in the 4400 or some 4 channel Lp's please let me know. Thanks for your time, Mike

Back