what was the first LP you ever got as a gift or purchased?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w.a.reid

500 Club - QQ All-Star
mine was a collection lp - "Funky Favorites".

still some of my favorite songs on there - just bought another one recently - just to make sure i had one playable for the two year old son i got.....crawling up my leg for attention - better give him some.

cheers all

w.a.r.

It was in the early 60's. My parents came home from a trip and gave us (my older brothers and I) a Kingston Trio album. I can't remember the exact title but it was a recording of a concert they gave at a US college. I was about 9 or 10. It had MTA and Streets of Laredo to name a couple. We loved that album.

Late 60's - K-Tel 24 Happening Hits - Top 10 hits edited down so they could fit 24 songs on an album.

O.K., I'll bite. It's somewhat embarrassing, but it was the soundtrack to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton. Some of it is quite cheesy, BUT it was the original release of Earth Wind & Fire's version of "Got to Get You Into My Life" and Aerosmith's version of "Come Together."

The thing is, the Beatles songs are so good, even when they're bad they're still pretty good. The bass playing on this album is outstanding (as I've made known here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12583-quot-Sgt.-Pepper-quot-movie-DVD-what-s-the-DTS-track-like&highlight=pepper%27s+lonely

"A Hard Days Night", black label Mono on United Artists. For months I thought "This Boy" was an instrumental only tune. When I finally got "Meet the Beatles", and heard the tune with lyrics, I freaked out!

Mine was a "Dave Clark Five" (don't remember the title but was one of their earlier releases) album that the cover stated had been "Electronically Re-Channeled for Stereo". Pretty cool for the day.

Justin

Mine was a "Dave Clark Five" (don't remember the title but was one of their earlier releases) album that the cover stated had been "Electronically Re-Channeled for Stereo". Pretty cool for the day.

Justin

Like a precursor to today's 5.1 upmixes. Being here is your destiny.

As a kid it was the soundtrack to the Mary Poppins film in 1965. First music album was The Beatles Second Album MONO for $1.57 clearance sale price in 1966.

We're going waaaay back, and I can't remember that far back, but for some reason, I remember that one of the first records I heard was "The Beatles "Rubber Soul", followed closely by "The Beatles 65". Of course, both of these records were the U.S. Capitol versions. Something that I haven't forgot, after all these years.

Like a precursor to today's 5.1 upmixes. Being here is your destiny.

dr.

Playing one of those albums through a receiver with decent Vario-Matrix capabilities gave you some weird effects. I am going to find that album and see what matrix 7.1 will do with those recordings. :mad:@:

Yup, I agree. The QQ forum never fails to brighten my day.

Justin

Mine was K-Tel "Fantastic 22" with a super short K-Tel edited version of "Hocus Pocus" by Focus and "Little Willy" by The Sweet. Still have it for nostalgia purposes.

Rick

I was 4 years old and I LOVED Batman (the TV series was at its peak), so I happened to see the Jan & Dean "Batman" mono LP in a GEM store and , since I rarely asked for anything, Mom got it for me ...she DID warn me that it was in English and I wouldn't understand it...so I learned English...I still have it (It's in good minus condition but still playable), and since then I got the even more rare stereo version on LP...sealed ..for $30!!!

Closer To Home-Grand Funk Railroad. I remember paying full price for it too...$5.24!(Back in the 70's).
I actually still have the LP but won't dare attempt playing it....It's been through hell and back.
I recently found a decent used copy of it.
These songs still sound pretty damn good today!

Tim

Back