what was the first LP you ever got as a gift or purchased?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Petula Clark "Going Places" with "Downtown" being the hit song.

ahhhh - sweet - 45's - at musical chairs i won the 45 - ohh God help me - i think it was Queen - another one bites the dust - b-side - Dont try suicide...youre just going to hate it. seems like we tried playing that backwards - for the 'mystery lyrics' or subliminal message of ....screw this record up so you have to buy another.

the lp i had my grandmother buy me was, well - i was trying to show carla schropshire my sensitive side by showing up to 5th grade break time with - the compilation lp - "together" - some love songs - "dont cry out loud" still haunts me to this day.

my 6th grade birthday gift from my uncle was - beatles "revolver" and shortly there after it was "rubber soul" from that point forward ive been pretty fucked up - thanks uncle robert.

the first lp i bought for myself - also around 6th grade - led zeppelin 4 - talk about blowing my mind - i still listen to Black Dog and get real young real quick.

here are some funnies - i read revolver as "re-lover" for years - and was shamefully corrected by an older cousin.

and i thought i discovered the beatles.

one time i bought cheap tricks lp - the one where they are holding mirrors to show each others' faces - had on it ...uh - Shes tight - and some other great tunes - anyhow - i listened to that lp about a million times while reading - The Undertakers Gone Bananas - now i cannot hear any tune off that lp without being right back in that book - and that was 7th grade.

im sure there are records or songs that no matter what you are doing or when you hear them - they timewarp your brain right back to....what? tell me. we all wanna know.

the beauty of music is that it can involve all of the senses - and when you hear some sounds or music - it can take you back in time - or remind you of a smell or a memory otherwise forgotten - there are a lot of mental milestones that can be cataloged and forgotten until you hear or see something that unlocks the vault.

when i see the monty python tv show - the episode where there is a person dressed as a lion ... on a beach, i think - and the lion gets stabbed with a spear - maybe there is a lot of fake blood and typical python humor - which i love - but when i see that episode it reminds me of the night my mother got a call that my uncle had been killed - in his front yard - by a drunk driver - as kids we didnt know what was happening - i just knew it was late and my mother calling my dad to tell him his brother is dead - meanwhile im trying to figure out - what is this crazy show - nothing at that time made sense to me - but i can remember a lot about that night and then forget about it until i see that episode of m.python - which is way off topic.

cheers mate - if youre reading this - you aint dead yet.

william

oh my god first record purchased was a 45 Happy together by the Turtles, wore it right out. I think it cost like 25 cents back then. wow that poll brought back memories thank you.

First LP purchased - YES "Time and a Word"

First LP as a gift - "CSNY - 4 Way Street"

Brings back memories!:smokin

I got my first taste of music (my own music) at age 3 which would be 1964 or 1965. My mom bought me a 45 carrying case with a bunch of 45's inside including "Mr Lonely" by Bobby Vinton, "Downtown" by Petula Clark, "Theme from Exodus" by Ferrante & Teicher, "Harlem Nocturne" by the Viscounts, "Baby Love" by the Supremes and "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones. She would sit me in front of a little record player and play the records for me and I would stare at the records going around... that's how she kept me quiet for 2 1/2 minutes at a time. I got lots of LP's as a kid but mostly story records and kid songs. Probably my first album of my own was the first Partridge Family Album that we bought at Singer (a sewing machine store - go figure) in 1970. However, I quickly grew up and somehow conned my mom into buying CCR's Cosmo's Factory for me. Man what a weird kid!!! I was lucky that my mom and dad loved music (lot's of Johnny Mathis and Ray Conniff) and my aunt is only 10 years older than me so she had all of the best new music. That was a really incredible time.

Top 3 songs of all time:
1-You Keep Me Hanging On - Supremes
2-One - Three Dog Night
3-I'm A Man - Spencer Davis Group

First 45 bought: "I Saw Linda Yesterday" by Dickie Lee, 1963 on the red Smash (Mercury sub.) label. (I was 7 years old.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcL5rz1V6dU

First LP bought : "Revolver" (mono) by The Beatles 1966 on the rainbow Capitol label.

Still have them both and they play fine. Fortunately I had two older brothers that taught me proper record care from the get-go.

My family bought their first console in 1970 when I was 7. I was always able to buy a 45 whenever we went out to the mall or department store.My first album was a ktel from in 1972 with Gallery doing I Believe In Music on it. Still have it somewhere. First 8 track was probably Foghat live and first cassette was Rush 2112. My first cds were purchased before I had a player and can't pinpoint a first(Ry Cooder and Style Council come to mind). First sacd was Blow by Blow and can't recall first dvda but thinking it was Doobie Brothers. Blu Ray is easy because It was Tom Petty. Sorry about expanding on the thread but first album just wasn't enough. thanks, Scott

My family bought their first console in 1970 when I was 7. I was always able to buy a 45 whenever we went out to the mall or department store.My first album was a ktel from in 1972 with Gallery doing I Believe In Music on it. Still have it somewhere. First 8 track was probably Foghat live and first cassette was Rush 2112. My first cds were purchased before I had a player and can't pinpoint a first(Ry Cooder and Style Council come to mind). First sacd was Blow by Blow and can't recall first dvda but thinking it was Doobie Brothers. Blu Ray is easy because It was Tom Petty. Sorry about expanding on the thread but first album just wasn't enough. thanks, Scott

That was a great Post!
It kind of brings back memories for me of what was my first LP.
I still can't remember but the Ktel record you mentioned sure made me think that it might have been one of them. LOL

This got me curious and I dug into a stack of my oldest vinyls. Being obsessive about my records even as a kid, I numbered and signed the back of each purchased album. After a bit of flipping there it was it was with a Roman numeral I -- "The Pink Panther -- Music from the Film Score Composed and Conducted by Henry Mancini". (I was more into John Barry soundtracks, Herb Alpert, and the like rather than rock 'n roll back then). Pink Panther was released in 1963, which would make me 12 or 13. Oh my, how the decades fly.

Looks like I switched to Arabic numerals for the second album, Mancini's "Hatari" being number 2 :)

I am someone from Cd generation but...

Jethro Tull - Songs from the wood

Mine is the Pogues third album - If I Should Fall from Grace With God

I've just re-discovered this album after seeing the video "fairytale of New York" on the telly. I'd forgotten how good the music is! uplifting, fun and politically powerful, a farcical observation of life.

My dad brought home "Meet the Beatles" shortly after release for me, I believe that was the first album that was officially mine. I hadn't really heard the music prior to owning the album but had heard kids at school mention the band. Prior to receiving the album I had been playing records that belonged to my parents for a couple of years by the Kingston Trio, Harry Belafonte, Elvis Presley and a few others. I believe a Dave Clark 5 album was my first purchase, "Glad All Over".

Earliest recorded music memory would be at my Grandfather's...Artie Shaw's "Begin The Beguine" on a steel needled 78. My own would be when my mother bought me and my brother a small GE "stereo" console and I got Al Hirt's "Latin In the Horn" <pretty lame, but hey I played the trumpet from a young age...> but we quickly graduated to the Stones "Through the Past Darkly", the "White Album", Beach Boys "Wild Honey"....by golly, it sounds like 1968, so I would have been 8 when I was infected by R&R! John S.

It was either "Honky Château" by Elton John or Chicago II. I got Ten Years After's "A Space In Time" and Three Dog Night's "Golden Bisquits" around that time as well, nut I really love Elton John and Chicago and played them a lot.

As in my earlier post I think I received "More Of The Monkees" for my 9th birthday. I think I may have received a couple of Partridge family albums later on. :eek:

When I was around 12, I started making money working on a farm and bought a General Electric stereo for $70.00 (I remember because it was a lot of $ to me at the time). I then joined the Record Club of America (because you got albums free for joining) If my memory serves me correctly I ordered; The Who - Who's Next, Three Dog Night - Golden Bisquits, Elton John - Honky Chateau and Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed.

Funny, I remember (around that time) there was a deal on the back of Kraft salad dressing bottles, where you could get Creedence Clearwater Revival titles on pre-recorded cassette for a couple bucks each with proof of purchase. I guess my family must have consumed mass quantities of Kraft salad dressing because I got their entire catalog. :D

It was either "Honky Château" by Elton John or Chicago II. I got Ten Years After's "A Space In Time" and Three Dog Night's "Golden Bisquits" around that time as well, nut I really love Elton John and Chicago and played them a lot.

I was born in '75 so during the late 70's my parents bought me things like "Disco Duck", various comic book hero stories and Mother Goose stuff, but my first true LP that I had actually asked for was Paul McCartney's Pipes Of Peace, given to me by my father on Christmas Day 1982. I was enamored with "Say Say Say" and surprisingly I knew virtually nothing about the guy was that was sharing the lead vocal with Paul. When my father told me he wanted Thriller as his Christmas gift and we gave it the first spin, it wasn't long before I made the connection and became obsessed with MJ for months and months afterwards. While Pipes Of Peace got a spin now and then, it was Thriller that we wore out together ... and the rest is history.

Immediately following that Christmas season, my father got a gig selling airtime to one of our local radio stations so about once a month he would get to bring home a big box of promo LP's and EP's ... Hall & Oates, Eddy Grant, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Thompson Twins, Jermaine Jackson, Prince (purple vinyl!) ... man, blasting that stuff through my dad's monstrous Klipsch cabinets was the best experience ... in stereo ... I ever had.

Dan

Last edited:
Back