What would be your best recommendations? What speakers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadSound

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have an older Technics system that enjoy listening to. Technics speakers and turntable from the 80's. I am looking to upgrade my speakers. Could really use some insight on a good system to get.

Not sure how much you want to spend but I tried out the KEF Q150 speakers recently and thought they sounded very nice, especially for the price. They're currently at about their lowest price (~$300) at Crutchfield, Best Buy and Amazon.

I have an older Technics system that enjoy listening to. Technics speakers and turntable from the 80's. I am looking to upgrade my speakers. Could really use some insight on a good system to get.
I've had these for a few years now and am very happy with them:

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-towerhttps://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-centerhttps://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelfhttps://www.svsound.com/products/pb-3000
Great clarity (I've heard things in music I'm familiar with that was previously obscured) and the bass hits low and hard (with Audyssey's help).

Yes , I think establishing a budget is the first step in determining what you could or should do, because there options at every price point from $20 bucks at the second hand store up to $300,000 super-fancy boutique models.

Another vote for KEF here though, great sound quality and excellent value for money on their lower end models. Having to sell my set of Q-series speakers when I left the UK was one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make, and I still visit their site from time to time and wonder how I could scrape a hundred grand together for a 5.1 set of Reference series speakers.

Not sure how much you want to spend but I tried out the KEF Q150 speakers recently and thought they sounded very nice, especially for the price. They're currently at about their lowest price (~$300) at Crutchfield, Best Buy and Amazon.

Do you just have two of them and no other speakers?

My best advice is to go to a store that can let you listen to, and switch between, different models. Bring along some music you're familiar with. Go with the speaker that sounds the best to your ears.

Im rather out of touch with the current market but the three most pertinent bits of info to provide are:

budget
room size and layout
listening preference - music type, preferred volume, 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 etc

take a few tracks that are well recorded, representative of what you usually listen to and that you know inside out with you to demo and, as mentioned above, try to get a demo for a week or two in your own listening space

Do you just have two of them and no other speakers?
Sorry, I should have said $300/pr. I bought two pair and used a sub and an Emotiva center I already had and it was a very nice sounding setup. I ended up keeping another set I was auditioning but I would have been very happy with the KEFs for a lot less money.

Also a fan of Polks. At least the ones with the silk dome tweeters. They aren't harsh and don't seem to emphasize any one frequency range. Stick with the 1 x tweeter, 2 x 6.5 inch config per cabinet if possible. Buy multi subs as well but stay away from Polk for this.

I recommend checking out reviews from the likes of Amir at Audio Science Review and Erin at Erin's Audio Corner. They use the Klippel Near Field Scanner to get better-than-anechoic objective data on all the speakers they review, plus give their subjective thoughts to form as complete a picture as you can get without actually hearing a speaker. Then, if possible, go and listen in person to as many candidate speakers as you can, preferably in the same environment under the same conditions in as close a span of time as possible. This is the best way I know how to reduce buyer's remorse.

Back