What's everybody using to clean their CD-4 LP's?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never got around to trying it...ended up buying a Spin Clean MKII and it works quite well. It can be a bit cumbersome turning the records by hand though.

It's funny how you can sort of hear the carrier when you run a CD-4 disc through it (sounds kinda like moving a zipper really fast).

Wow...I've never noticed that, and I use a SpinClean! I'll have to check that out next time.

These days I usually SpinClean stuff in batches after acquiring some vinyl, then use a Nitty Gritty prior to playing/ditigizing. Yet there's almost always further work to be done via ClickRepair.

Last edited:
I looked at that Canfab one, but, to be perfectly honest, I think some of my records - all of which are second hand with dubious histories - required something a little more serious than a light vacuuming.

Just for clarity sake, you do know that you are vacuuming cleaning fluid, right? It's not "just a light vacuuming", the fluid removes the debris and the vacuum removes the fluid. New, clean fluid each time you use it.

Just for clarity sake, you do know that you are vacuuming cleaning fluid, right? It's not "just a light vacuuming", the fluid removes the debris and the vacuum removes the fluid. New, clean fluid each time you use it.
The fluid alone does not remove anything from the groove, it may loosen debris and gums and keep them in suspension for the brush and the vacuum to grab/suck them.

One of the advantages of vertical cleaning is that the removed material does not fall back in the groove. If you add cavitation, I think there's little more to be desired.

I believe ultrasonic machines will reach a point where it will be beyond any doubt the optimal way to clean records.

Oh, I think ultrasonic is already ahead of vacuum. When one of those reaches the $100 mark I'll replace my Canfab system. FWIW, I don't think that particles falling back into the grooves is an issue with vacuum systems.

anyone know Lou Dorrens record cleaner formula?

Hiya Aludra - Welcome to the forums Awesome you are here :LB

I suggest making a New thread all together asking this question here in this section of the forums https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php#legacy-multichannel-sound-systems.19 ALL things Quad section or even the CD-4 Section

and you will get a lot more views and responses :SG

Snood is gonna PM you this reply also in case you miss it. Great to have ya around and keeeeeeeeep posting your questions people here are awesome - most awesome in fact :rocks

Back