• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

What's for SALE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was involved in an auction for a new Oppo 103...I'm not really in the market for another Oppo(I have 103D and 203)...but if I happened to get lucky and get it...that would be fine...the other reason is I wanted to see what the new 103 would bring...this would be a good test for that determination as there were 56 watching the auction at the time I entered....so when I entered the winning bid was only $256...so I had pre determined what price I would pay for the unit...$700...so that is what I bid...I did this to eliminate the "tire kickers"...those are the bidders who don't have a realistic chance of buying it at the price point they would spend....since I wanted to know the true value of this "new" unit...I would find out this way....sure enough...the tire kickers didn't bid...so for 5 days I led the bidding...as it didn't move at all for 4 days...so on the last day there was some movement early in the day...it started at $410 and gradually moved up..with 9 minutes to go I was still in the lead at $510..still in the lead at 1 minute 20 seconds....still winning at 52 seconds $571.51....15 seconds and I'm hanging on at $592...could I make it...then it happened...2 snipers...the first sniper at $781.27...the next and winning sniper...$791.27...the winner had never made a bid until he won it at the very end....it was pretty cool to watch:cool:

I'm surprised that the bidding didn't go higher...under $800 for a brand new Oppo 103 at this stage...and there was plenty of attention(over 50 watching) to this auction...does this mean that the panic that ensued over Oppo's departure from the market is over...or did people get their Oppo's earlier or got another brand...or are people willing to buy a used one for much less...I don't know what the answer is...

$800 for a 103? Wow. I know it's new, but still...it makes me wonder how much my 205 would go for. I have a 203 for movies and a 205 for music. I can't let them go, as I don't think there's currently anything comparable in the market to replace them with.

$800 for a 103? Wow. I know it's new, but still...it makes me wonder how much my 205 would go for. I have a 203 for movies and a 205 for music. I can't let them go, as I don't think there's currently anything comparable in the market to replace them with.

There are very few 205's left for sale....check out some of these...the problem with selling is...what could replace it? you would probably need 2 machines

Last edited:
Yep...that's the rub isn't it....Oppo's are like the swiss army knife...they perform so many tasks..I guess it depends on what you need a machine to do..
I guess it should be replaced with another 205! This topic was rampant on the forum as Oppo wound down its production. The choice is easier if you don't need analog audio out. Or if SACD is OK & you don't need DVD-A. Or if you mainly play discs & don't need much of a file player. But as you said the Oppo wraps it all up in one package, sans the nifty streaming built in to the 105, 103, etc.

So how much better is the 205 over the 203 in sound quality using the analog outs??? Have u compared at all???

I read an interview / review yesterday saying 205 vs 203 wasn't that big of a difference...inquiring minds would like to know as I've never personally heard a 205

An interesting sidenote... while checking out specs on marantz sr6014 it appears that the akm chip that's in the oppo 203 is also in the marantz 6014 or did I read / see that wrong???

Last edited:
I doubt if anyone could tell a difference unless you have a really high end system with extremely revealing speakers, or with a really great pair of headphones. I've only compared them on my previous system, which wasn't good enough to tell a difference. The only reason I bought it is because it was my last chance to ever get one (from Oppo at $1300), and because it has balanced outputs, bigger power supply, and the top of the line ESS 9038 Pro DAC chip to go along with the higher quality analog components. From now on it's going to serve as the front end to a very high end headphone rig, where the better quality, balanced analog outputs MAY make a difference for me.

I doubt if anyone could tell a difference unless you have a really high end system with extremely revealing speakers, or with a really great pair of headphones. I've only compared them on my previous system, which wasn't good enough to tell a difference. The only reason I bought it is because it was my last chance to ever get one (from Oppo at $1300), and because it has balanced outputs, bigger power supply, and the top of the line ESS 9038 Pro DAC chip to go along with the higher quality analog components. From now on it's going to serve as the front end to a very high end headphone rig, where the better quality, balanced analog outputs MAY make a difference for me.

Thanks for that...I've No interest in headphones...my pockets aren't deep enuff...my system sounds damn good to me with my cheap budget Polk audio speakers...guess I'll always be lowfi or midfi vs hifi...not enough $$$ or deep enough pockets :)

So how much better is the 205 over the 203 in sound quality using the analog outs??? Have u compared at all???

I read an interview / review yesterday saying 205 vs 203 wasn't that big of a difference...inquiring minds would like to know as I've never personally heard a 205

An interesting sidenote... while checking out specs on marantz sr6014 it appears that the akm chip that's in the oppo 203 is also in the marantz 6014 or did I read / see that wrong???

You can tell the difference

Back