What's New in 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Happy New Year, QQ!

As promised, here is the long awaited sequel to the "Looking forward to 2023" thread.
While that thread focused on classic album remixes and reissues, this thread will focus more on new albums that will be (possibly) mixed and released in surround sound (5.1 surround, Dolby Atmos, etc.) in 2023
While some albums are confirmed and others are likely, there's definitely a lot of speculation too. Enjoy!

RIVERSIDE - Kicking off 2023 is a brand new album from Riverside entitled "ID.Entity" which will feature both a 5.1 surround mix & a Dolby Atmos mix.
KATATONIA - The latest album from Katatonia will be released in January entitled "Sky Void of Stars", featuring surround mixes (5.1 & Dolby Atmos) from our friend Bruce Soord of the Pineapple Thief.
ORBITAL - The next release in the SDE Surround Series is a brand new album from Orbital entitled "Optical Delusion". The Blu-Ray will feature both a 5.1 surround mix and a Dolby Atmos mix.
RICK WAKEMAN - The caped keyboard player is releasing a new solo album entitled "A Gallery of the Imagination" in February, which will feature a DVD with a 5.1 surround mix.
STEVEN WILSON - The master surround sound mixer is due to release another solo album in 2023 entitled "The Harmony Codex", and like the recent solo and Porcupine Tree albums, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos mixes are a given. This release will likely be one of the best of the year!
JETHRO TULL - Even though I think most of us are mostly looking forward to Steven Wilson's remix of "Broadsword and the Beast", Jethro Tull are also promising a new album mixed by Bruce Soord. The album is currently expected to be released in the Spring of 2023
DEPECHE MODE - Depeche More are set to release a new album in 2023 called "Memento Mori" which will be their first as a duo since the death of Fletch. Even though their last record "Spirit" was their first to not be released in surround sound, I have a feeling this new record will be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos. The question of course will be if there will be a physical release or if it will just be streaming only...
PETER GABRIEL - After over two decades without an album of all original and new material, it appears Peter Gabriel will finally be releasing a new album in 2023 entitled "I/O". One would hope that Peter Gabriel will get up to speed with the times and have the album mixed in Dolby Atmos, but that remains to be seen right now..
PINEAPPLE THIEF/BRUCE SOORD - We should be at the point where we are due for some new music from the Pineapple Thief and/or their main songwriter Bruce Soord. We'll just have to see if it will be a new solo release from Bruce or a new band album. Either way, Bruce has recently gotten on board with Dolby Atmos mixing so 5.1 and Atmos mixes are a given for anything moving forward for him.
YES - After the release of "The Quest" in 2021, it's been rumored that Yes are releasing another new album in 2023, and one would hope like it's predecessor that a 5.1 mix will be included again.
OPETH - Since the band's previous album was released in 2019, it's about time we got some new music from these Swedish gentlemen. However, we won't know what to expect from a surround perspective since more recent releases of theirs have been very uneven in quality...
DAVID GILMOUR - Nothing is concrete yet, but David's wife Polly said in a recent interview that she has been working on some new songs with him. If and when a new album is finally put together, I will anticipate a 5.1 mix will be included as well, along with possibly an Atmos mix too.
STEVE HACKETT - Just like David, nothing is concrete yet, but we should be due for a new album from Mr. Hackett fairly soon as he's been putting out a new album almost every other year for the last decade. Like all of his recent releases, I anticipate any new albums to also be mixed in 5.1 surround like his previous efforts.
NOSOUND - It's also been quite a few years since nosound put out a new record so I would say chances are pretty good for a new record from them this year, featuring of course a 5.1 mix from the band's leader Giancarlo.

:)

Two albums that are set for early 2023 releases:

The Church - The Hypnogogue (February 24)
Inhaler - Cuts & Bruises (February 17)

Both albums are already showing on Apple Music as having Atmos mixes, with each album already having two preview tracks available to listen to. I'm not expecting a physical release for either, unless @PaulatSDE works his magic. 🪄:)

STEVEN WILSON - The master surround sound mixer is due to release another solo album in 2023 entitled "The Harmony Codex", and like the recent solo and Porcupine Tree albums, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos mixes are a given. This release will likely be one of the best of the year!
Excited for the C/C live recording as well!

Two albums that are set for early 2023 releases:

The Church - The Hypnogogue (February 24)
Inhaler - Cuts & Bruises (February 17)

Both albums are already showing on Apple Music as having Atmos mixes, with each album already having two preview tracks available to listen to. I'm not expecting a physical release for either, unless @PaulatSDE works his magic. 🪄:)

Just re-listened to both of these. In both cases, I really like the music. The mix on the Inhaler tracks is pretty good, but I really like the mix on the two tunes from the forthcoming album from The Church. I think it may be one of the highlights of 2023.

Here are some titles (pre-)announced by IAN Records (not mentioning a new solo album by Boris Blank of Yello here):
IANrecords.jpg

These are likely to be blu-ray audio discs with both Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D mixes. Also announced is a nice-price sampler with tracks from some previous titles:
IAN2.jpg

Last edited:
I had no idea there is another The Church album in the works. Really looking forward to it.
When someone as prolific as Steve Kilbey is involved, new material always seems to be coming.

I'm a massive fan of The Church, so this will be an automatic purchase for me. If anything is done in surround that is a bonus, as nothing in that vein has been done since "Forget Yourself".

I didn't know Peter Gabriel had new material so that that is another one I'm now looking forward to.

This on the Facebook "Big Big Train fan page :
  • Gregory Spawton
    Beheerder
    fZZXfsm99H7.png

Henk yes, we are expecting to release some studio songs in 5.1 (hopefully this year). However, these may be distributed online through https://immersiveaudioalbum.com rather than through physical discs.

Immersive Audio Album

IMMERSIVEAUDIOALBUM.COM
    Immersive Audio Album
    Immersive Audio Album

David Allen
    Gregory As someone unable to either stream or download 5.1, I sincerely hope you decide to do physical discs, even though it means the higher costs will be passed on to consumers.
    You could determine the pressing run by doing a limited time pre-order window, a method which is being successfully done by the UK company SuperDeluxeEdition.com on recent 5.1 blu ray albums by artists such as Tears For Fears and Brian Eno, so you only press the amount you know you'll sell.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed

I guess I don't understand why in this day and age when people will spend $1000 on a phone, own a 5.1 system and a disc player, they can't buy a cheap/used laptop and an HDMI cable to download/listen to music. I understand preference. But then there's being practical as well. I don't like being boxed in to having to use only discs, myself, although Lord knows the closet is full of disc players collecting dust.

Thanks for bringing this up, now I can answer my own question and add the release to the 2023 list:
As usual, Tamás Barabás prepared a soaring surround mix. The Blu-ray offers to choose in 24bit/96kHz Dolby TreuHD and 24/96 wav 5.1. Of course, a high-resolution 24/96 stereo sound track can also be selected.
https://djabe.hu/en/js_albums/djabe-steve-hackett-live-in-gyor-2cd-blu-ray

I guess I don't understand why in this day and age when people will spend $1000 on a phone, own a 5.1 system and a disc player, they can't buy a cheap/used laptop and an HDMI cable to download/listen to music. I understand preference. But then there's being practical as well. I don't like being boxed in to having to use only discs, myself, although Lord knows the closet is full of disc players collecting dust.
Just saw this today. It seems to me that there are plenty of ways to listen to downloads, and the PC via HDMI is probably the clunkiest of all. I can play my downloaded files through my roku+, my Marantz 7701 (which can utilize WMP playlists) and my Oppo 105. I have no way to use a mouse in my listening room, and certainly don’t want a keyboard in there unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Just saw this today. It seems to me that there are plenty of ways to listen to downloads, and the PC via HDMI is probably the clunkiest of all. I can play my downloaded files through my roku+, my Marantz 7701 (which can utilize WMP playlists) and my Oppo 105. I have no way to use a mouse in my listening room, and certainly don’t want a keyboard in there unless it’s absolutely necessary.
It was aimed more at the phone culture for everything and downloads, barfle.
Like I said, there are preferences, and then there are practicalities.

Back