What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of information filled books:

Bootleg: All about the start of the bootleg industry and who the players were and how the business has changed

An exellent read. I got the first edition of this book cheap second hand, it has the white cover. Lots of information about the persons behind this business.

I got introduced to one person in this business about ten years ago, actually met him at home. Told a lot of funny stories... One can be read here:

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/bootlegs/labels.html#flashback

-Kristian

OK, I haven't read this book, but I plan to. Here's a few I know of and they aren't early in their careers. Each artist had their first release five or more years prior to these albums. Every one was a successful act. Don't shoot me on the accuracy of the dates, but they're all close:

Get Back - Beatles 1969 re-tooled in 1970 as Let it Be, but never released in its' original form.
Smile - Beach Boys 1967 released 2012
Human Highway - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 1974 still unreleased, unofficial releases exist
Dinosaur Tracks - Tower of Power 1982 released 2005 as a limited edition
Stone of Sisyphus - Chicago 1992 released 2010 as Chicago XXXII
Potatoland - Spirit 1972 released 1981
Thom Bell Sessions (Mama Can't Buy You Love & others) - Elton John 1977 originally rejected by MCA. released as EP in 1979
Lather - Frank Zappa 1977 released 1996
Basement Tapes - Dylan 1967 released 1975 bootlegged since late '60's. created modern bootleg industry
Black Album - Prince 1987 released in 1994
Save for a Rainy Day - Jan & Dean 1967 released 1996
Live at the Garrick - Frank Zappa 1968 still unreleased
Dumb Angel - Brian Wilson late 60's still unreleased, except as unofficlal
Flash Harry - Nilsson 1980 released only as an import, although it was a US record company (Finally released as a US CD in '13)

Gunfight at Carnegie Hall - Phil Ochs 1970 released in Canada in 1974, 1985 in US
Try it Before You Buy It - Michael Bloomfield 1973 released in 1988
Oh, My God - Chambers Brothers 1972 still unreleased
5.1 DVD-A of Chicago X 2004 still unreleased Test pressing done (I have one)
Hot Hits/Cold Cuts (compilation) - Paul McCartney 1975 still unreleased, although several unofficial Cold Cuts packages were released
McCartney II (2 disc version) 1980 excised tracks are mostly instrumental, and far more experimental. Although some made the 2012 ultra deluxe, most have only appeared on unofficial releases

That looks interesting....are most, early releases, in artists careers ?

most of the way through Waging Heavy Peace - Neil Youngs autobiography. interesting read it rambles and flits from time and place to time and place but is actually very readable

OK, I haven't read this book, but I plan to. Here's a few I know of and they aren't early in their careers. Each artist had their first release five or more years prior to these albums. Every one was a successful act. Don't shoot me on the accuracy of the dates, but they're all close:

Get Back - Beatles 1969 re-tooled in 1970 as Let it Be, but never released in its' original form.
Smile - Beach Boys 1967 released 2012
Dinosaur Tracks - Tower of Power 1982 released 2005 as a limited edition
Stone of Sisyphus - Chicago 1992 released 2010 as Chicago XXXII
Potatoland - Spirit 1972 released 1981
Thom Bell Sessions (Mama Can't Buy You Love & others) - Elton John 1977 originally rejected by MCA. released as EP in 1979
Lather - Frank Zappa 1977 released 1996
Basement Tapes - Dylan 1967 released 1975 bootlegged since late '60's. created modern bootleg industry
Black Album - Prince 1987 released in 1994
Save for a Rainy Day - Jan & Dean 1967 released 1996
Dumb Angel - Brian Wilson late 60's still unreleased, except as unofficlal
Flash Harry - Nilsson 1980 released only as an import, although it was a US record company
Gunfight at Carnegie Hall - Phil Ochs 1970 released in Canada in 1974, 1985 in US
Try it Before You Buy It - Michael Bloomfield 1973 released in 1988
Oh, My God - Chambers Brothers 1972 still unreleased
5.1 DVD-A of Chicago X 2004 still unreleased Test pressing done (I have one)
Hot Hits/Cold Cuts (compilation) - Paul McCartney 1975 still unreleased, although several unofficial Cold Cuts packages were released

Thanks for the info, Linda. I might purchase this.

I'm fond of music related (auto)biographies.

I recently starting Bowie by Marc Spitz (a gift from a friend and I appreciated Spitz' preface about how he was reluctant to write ANOTHER Bowie book).

I just finished Beefheart: Through The Eyes Of Magic by John "Drumbo" French and although his writing may not be as great as his drumming, he writes openly from the heart and provided great insight into the music and the monster himself. I'm still dabbling in the Track Notes appendix, which gives even more background for individual tracks.

Before that I finally read Hammer Of The Gods by Stephen Davis which was kind of fun (I'm a golden god!) though the death of Bonzo looms larger as it proceeds and Soul Mining by Daniel Lanois which was filled with stories and insights from a rich career in music. A lovely book.

I just picked up Charlie Louvins memoir, "Satan is Real" about the Louvin Brother's career and his life. These guys were the prototypical hillbilly harmony act with achingly pure and instinctive delivery. It was written shortly before Charlie died and so it is completely honest and unvarnished, down to calling Colonel Tom Parker the 14 carat asshole he was.

This is like listening to a conversation with an honest old guy who doesn't BS you about how wonderful everybody and everything was back in the old days. Gritty stuff.

ken

Does anyone here have any impressions on the book: 4-Channel Stereo: From Source To Sound

I have been trying to find a second edition copy. Even if it doesn't contain anything I don't know, it would be nice to read and have around.

Finally getting around to Stephen Sondheim's LOOK, I MADE A HAT, the companion and sequel to FINISHING THE HAT, a compendium of lyrics and commentary that's a lot of fun to read even if you're not a particular fan of the work.

ED :)

FIRE AND RAIN
The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970
By David Browne
Illustrated. 369 pages. Da Capo Press. $26

Terrific read, loved the way these performers' stories were intermingled and some interesting revalations to boot. :smokin:

Not a brand new book, but loving it nonetheless. It is not a biography of Todd per se, but concentrates primarily on his work in the studio, both on his own stuff (including Utopia) and his outside production for everyone from Meat Loaf to XTC to Patti Smith. Fascinating stories and highlights.
Wizardbook.jpg

I recently finished Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace. I really enjoyed it, I didn't know that much about Neil, despite being a big fan for 30+ years.

I tried reading Keith Richards' book, it was interesting at first, but he got really bogged down in his childhood, which I found incredibly uninteresting and gave up on it.

I'm currently reading a fascinating unpublished work about Brian Eno by Lester Bangs that I found on the Internet. From a planned book that never happened.

"Jelly Roll, Bix and Hoagy: The Story of Gennett Records"....for anyone at all interested in the early recording industry, or jazz recordings....or Richmond, Indiana for that matter.
I may have to check out that Bootlegs book.
John

Likely few people know of Gennett Records. Their sign exists to this day on the side of a building in Richmond, IN. Very cool.

Gennett-Records.jpg
DE2602a-You'veGotThoseWannaGoBackAgainBlues-Gennett3291-A-upgrade.jpg

"Jelly Roll, Bix and Hoagy: The Story of Gennett Records"....for anyone at all interested in the early recording industry, or jazz recordings....or Richmond, Indiana for that matter.
I may have to check out that Bootlegs book.
John

Back