What's the LATEST Book You've Read? MUSIC-RELATED ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this thread!

I recently finished "In the Sixties: Illustrated" by Barry Miles. For those who are not familiar with this name, Miles was a central figure in the Swinging London scene of the 1960s, and his book covers plenty of musical turf, not the least of which includes The Beatles and Pink Floyd. Miles was present for the Sgt Pepper photo shoot, and participated in the All You Need Is Love TV broadcast. He was also present for many of the early Pink Floyd performances.

One version of the book includes an audio CD with interviews of prominent musical figures of the time.

The publisher, Rocket 88, has produced a number of other great books including a comprehensive collection of Syd Barrett artwork included in the closest thing to his official biography. The super special edition of this book came with a post-it note that was said to have been signed by Barrett before his death. Apparently they got him to sign a bunch, and then released the book after he passed. Here is a link for the publisher:

https://us.rocket88books.com/collections/books/music

To the best of my knowledge, all Barrett books are sold out from the publisher, but they are available through the normal aftermarket channels. I did get one, if anyone has questions. Mine was "unsigned."

Led Zeppelin - The Tape Documentary 50th Anniversary Ed. by Luis Rey - Front Cover.jpg

About 100 pages in. Well researched and full of blues history, not only B.B.

Attachments

• 19A7079D-02FD-4C6F-8C40-D3F410DC3782.jpeg
    19A7079D-02FD-4C6F-8C40-D3F410DC3782.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 40
Thanks to the Peter Jackson documentary, as well as the series with Paul McCartney and Rick Rubin, I got reading Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerich which then led to reading Mixerman which was incredibly enjoyable, amusing and, given that I own a recording studio, painfully relatable.

Attachments

• beatles.jpg
    beatles.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 33
my friend Rafi recommended this and I am devouring it.. didn't know they did so many drugs.. I mean, i suspected the booze and weed but...still , a great read... a lot of info I was not aware of...
The_Living_Years_spo_1024x1024.jpg
Interesting! I remember listening to a podcast with an interview of a concert promoter in the Northeast. Sorry, I can't remember the name. But, he mentioned Genesis as being one of the bands with heavy drug use. Zeppeling being another. I was surprised about Genesis, also.

Just added this book to my wishlist.

Thanks to the Peter Jackson documentary, as well as the series with Paul McCartney and Rick Rubin, I got reading Here, There and Everywhere by Geoff Emerich which then led to reading Mixerman which was incredibly enjoyable, amusing and, given that I own a recording studio, painfully relatable.

I just finished the Emerick! He has some choice words for our little hobby 😂

I’m still a little dubious about the wisdom of remixing existing stereo recordings in surround sound, even in the hands of a skilled engineer. To me, it’s like colorizing a black-and-white film; it can detract from the original artistic vision rather than enhance it. Certainly the original engineer should always be involved wherever possible. Some of the Beatles songs I recorded have been remixed in surround sound without my involvement, and I haven’t been overly impressed with the results. In some cases, effects we added in the mix stage were missing altogether, completely changing the character of the song.

I just finished the Emerick! He has some choice words for our little hobby 😂

I’m still a little dubious about the wisdom of remixing existing stereo recordings in surround sound, even in the hands of a skilled engineer. To me, it’s like colorizing a black-and-white film; it can detract from the original artistic vision rather than enhance it. Certainly the original engineer should always be involved wherever possible. Some of the Beatles songs I recorded have been remixed in surround sound without my involvement, and I haven’t been overly impressed with the results. In some cases, effects we added in the mix stage were missing altogether, completely changing the character of the song.

Quality post, there, New Member from 2016 with 6 total messages.

Thanks for participating without compulsively chattering, we should all take notice of your example.
Keep 'em coming at your own pace. (y)

Bright Lights Dark Shadows
The real story of Abba by Carl Magnus Palm

Picked this up several years ago and finally got around to reading it almost at the end.
Pretty interesting details their individual lives and struggles growing up how they met and what the Swedish music scene was like.

Joshua Clover, Roadrunner. First in a projected "singles" series from Duke University Press. Clover is a journalist, political theorist, poet, and professor (and radical gadfly), so his approach won't be everybody's cuppa. I loved it. His deliberately run-on sentences are like prose poems drenched in the voice and the spirit of Jonathan Richman, and he places "Roadrunner" in a circuit that includes Chuck Berry, Cornershop, and MIA, not to mention post-industrial consumer-capitalist political economy, global mobility and migration, and a thousand other polysyllabic things.

1650821310402.png

"Roadrunning: Joshua Clover in Conversation with Alex Abramovich." The Paris Review 10 November 2021.
Robert Christgau, "Faster Miles An Hour Who Knows Where." Review of Roadrunner by Joshua Clover. And It Don't Stop, Substack, 5 November 2021.
Joshua Clover, "A Roadrunner Playlist" (with a long headnote). You can also read the book's Introduction at the Duke University Press website.

Last edited:
Back