What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The open Door EvaneSence 15th Anniversary edition grey marble, pressing looks good will be spinning soon.

Evanescence.jpg

these are thanks to my ex...bless her soul and I only wish her the best even after being so mean to me (to quote Neil Finn!)
a f*cking classic and totally underrated if only because the underproduction is perceived as underprepared
R-1421552-1218330367.jpeg.jpg

this was playing in the movie theater at the moment we met...trying to exorcise my demons like my therapist has told me...
R-30705-1418188617-8521.jpeg.jpg

I will try but I am not good at telling when there is corrected or inverted phase.

From steelydave's comments posted in the Birds of Fire Thread on September 9th:

The problem actually lies with AF's decision not to master the quad layer of their SACDs, except for in a handful of instances. A kind of orthodoxy seems to have sprung up from the Hoffman forums that says "flat transfers are the best!" and while I'd take a flat transfer over an overly-compressed / smiley-face EQed mastering, flat transfers have their own issues (which most of the AF discs exhibit) from a flat and lifeless sound (Loggins & Messina self-titled, the two Earth Wind & Fire discs) to downright muddy (Guess Who greatest hits) to channel assignment errors (Birds of Fire, and about half the tracks on the 'The Collection' V/A disc).

I have the AF version of Birds of Fire but I'd gladly re-buy this version as the Sony Japan masterings are considerably better than earlier-issued versions, from Abraxas and Beck, Bogert & Appice (compared to the DTS CDs) to the Jeff Beck Group 'orange album' (compared to the AF SACD). Aside from the channel-assignment error on the AF BoF, it also exhibits some of that lifeless sound (especially in Cobham's drums, which have almost no punch) and I hope/expect the Sony Japan mastering will remedy much of this.

And from poster NYAD August 29th:

There was a lot of talk about the AF release having some of the channels reversed making the panned drums cross the sound field diagonally instead of going round clockwise (or anticlockwise). Hopefully this will be addressed?

Last edited:
From steelydave's comments posted in the Birds of Fire Thread on September 9th:

The problem actually lies with AF's decision not to master the quad layer of their SACDs, except for in a handful of instances. A kind of orthodoxy seems to have sprung up from the Hoffman forums that says "flat transfers are the best!" and while I'd take a flat transfer over an overly-compressed / smiley-face EQed mastering, flat transfers have their own issues (which most of the AF discs exhibit) from a flat and lifeless sound (Loggins & Messina self-titled, the two Earth Wind & Fire discs) to downright muddy (Guess Who greatest hits) to channel assignment errors (Birds of Fire, and about half the tracks on the 'The Collection' V/A disc).

I have the AF version of Birds of Fire but I'd gladly re-buy this version as the Sony Japan masterings are considerably better than earlier-issued versions, from Abraxas and Beck, Bogert & Appice (compared to the DTS CDs) to the Jeff Beck Group 'orange album' (compared to the AF SACD). Aside from the channel-assignment error on the AF BoF, it also exhibits some of that lifeless sound (especially in Cobham's drums, which have almost no punch) and I hope/expect the Sony Japan mastering will remedy much of this.

And from poster NYAD August 29th:

There was a lot of talk about the AF release having some of the channels reversed making the panned drums cross the sound field diagonally instead of going round clockwise (or anticlockwise). Hopefully this will be addressed?
He doesn't seem to be a AF fan?

Back