What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! Glad I'm not the only Firesign Theatre geek on here! I assume you have their surround discs, although only a couple are classics. . . .
oh yes, I’m pretty much fully loaded with Danger Nancy!
Although, the later stuff they did seems to pale in comparison to the earlier; with the Gold standard being the original on this album:

https://www.discogs.com/master/1668...Places-At-Once-When-Youre-Not-Anywhere-At-All
Just too bad it’s not one of the Quads; so I had to up-mix it to obtain the maximum Roccoco stank on it. 🥃

My 12th and 13th versions on optical disc of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out"....

51936123085_05d7ba8e68_n.jpg
51935510441_92a99abee5_n.jpg

Then there's Bing and Doris....

51936124595_a17ed6631d_n.jpg
51935586873_597a692571_n.jpg

Some more used CDs I acquired....

Two early albums from LA fusion group Hiroshima. The band's 1979 self-titled debut (below, left) was released on Arista Records and is currently reissued on CD through Dutton Vocalion. Their subsequent releases on CBS (or Sony) in the 80s, such as "Another Place" (below, right) and "Go" (both certified gold records by the RIAA), deserve to be reissued on SACD.

51953999521_3d9a0c5573_n.jpg
51954306539_932939143a_n.jpg

Below is a rare Japan Denon Mastersonic 24K gold CD pressing of Phil Collins' "Serious Hits....Live!"....released only in Hong Kong. As for the Scandal CD, "The Warrior" is just an awesome song.

51954305694_200ea3f234_n.jpg
51935831239_2cab12da92_n.jpg

I have always been fond of the speaker manufacturer, Boston Acoustics. BA offered relatively inexpensive, but high performance speakers for both home and the car....and it also, in association with various music companies, released a series of demo CDs called "Close Up". Below are 4 of the latest I acquired....

51963927966_8794585236_n.jpg
51963927931_5f9223781e_n.jpg

51962927722_d04f4a535e_n.jpg
51962927702_a787257c96_n.jpg

Up Close, Volume 3 featured Windham Hill Records artist Andy Narell.

Up Close, Volume 9 featured High Street Records/Windham Hill Records artist Dots Will Echo.

Up Close, Volume 13 featured artists from the Private Music label....Jennifer Warnes, Patrick O'Hearn, Yanni, Ringo Starr, etc.

Up Close, Volume 16 featured Sheffield Lab artist Pat Coil.

Had to visit Lowe's to get a few things to fix my "newly acquired" SL-QL1 (Goo Gone, DAP Rapidfuse glue, etc.) and right across the street there's a Salvation Army store which the last time I went they had stopped selling LPs...nevertheless, a little voice told me "go!" so, I did...
Found all kinds of LPs , CDs and DVDs AND a Bluray ("Hop!"), each for 99 cents, I spent $40 !.. I know, big spender..
One of the things I found was a repressing of Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream..." which was still in its shrinkwrap with its price sticker... now, I know this is not a rare thing but I feel like FRAMING IT!!!!
Whaddaya say? Has anyone wanted this on a frame in their house?
Whipped Cream.JPG

Dolores Erickson! Many 11 year old boys wanted to be with her. I just wanted to be her. BTW: she was pregnant when she did that photoshoot. The article linked below fails to mention that.

Bought Whipped Cream on 2 ch LP (my most played copy), 2ch Reel, Q8, Japan CD, mono LP, US CD w/bonus track and Rewhipped, Alpert's reimagined version on CD. Different woman on cover, too.

Met Herb Alpert several times. One of the nicest (and wealthiest) performers of the hundreds I've met. One of my 10 fave musicians. Met Lani, too. Being from Chicago, she was preoccupied with friends and relatives backstage. Got several HA albums autographed over the years, though not this one.

Oh, and nine years ago, some guy asked me to see/hear HA on our first date. I married him.

Although this album is a walk off grand slam, I actually prefer at least a half dozen HA albums to this one. Rise (dbx LP is best analog), Beat of the Brass (w/#1 This Guy), What Now My Love, SRO and Fandango are all walk-off grand slams, as well. You Smile...The Song Begins (classic TJB, often overlooked), which I got a promo LP w/T-shirt and mobile. Passion Dance is great on CD, but a far better mix on on DTS 5.1 CD.

No collection is complete without Whipped Cream! Q8 mix is fair, at best. A disappointing mix, like so many early A&M Q8 only titles. Quadraphony! I'd rather listen on 2ch vinyl or CD. No collection is complete without this album and picture!

https://performingsongwriter.com/herb-alpert-whipped-cream-cover-girl/

I had whipped cream on a reel tape that I believe was 7/12 ips. I shoulda kept it. I see the stereo record in used bins quite a bit but have never seen the SQ record or I'd have it. The only format of whipped cream I have is on Q8.

Not sure if any reels of WC were ever released in 3 3/4 speed. I have an Ampex that IS 7 1/2. Stunning. There were at least 4 different "pressings" of WC reels. For all the smarties out there, I'm well aware that reels aren't "pressed."

The Q8 was released in both US & UK. Mark Anderson's superb Quad discography lists no other WC on Quad formats. I've never seen a QLP of it on any format.

Here are all the different pressings/releases of WC:

https://www.discogs.com/master/131533-Herb-Alperts-Tijuana-Brass-Whipped-Cream-Other-Delights
I had whipped cream on a reel tape that I believe was 7/12 ips. I shoulda kept it. I see the stereo record in used bins quite a bit but have never seen the SQ record or I'd have it. The only format of whipped cream I have is on Q8.

Bowie Toy box set 3 CDs
Jackson Browne Lives in the Balance CD......my cassette finally gave up.
Bowie Sound and Vision 4 CD version
Does the Bowie include a CD of the gig "BBC Radio Theatre London 27th June 2000"? I have it as part of the Bowie at the Beeb (3xCD) and its is absolutely brilliant my favourite Bowie disc!

Does the Bowie include a CD of the gig "BBC Radio Theatre London 27th June 2000"? I have it as part of the Bowie at the Beeb (3xCD) and its is absolutely brilliant my favourite Bowie disc!
Totally agree, Duncan. That Bowie BBC show is one of the best sounding and performed live shows in my entire music collection. Hard to describe how good it actually is!

No Duncan I have the BBC 2000 as a separate set. I recall it's very good
I'm listening to disc 2 of Toy alternate mixes. Greatly enjoying it and sad he's no longer here
Looking forward to diving into the 2014 sound and vision set as it's a revision of the original version with more songs.

Back