What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

More CD-4 to my pile

( RCA. CD-4 R4P-5001 -American Woman The Guess Who )-
( Teichiko. CD-4 CDX-2509 -Tango Makes Old Hit Songs Renewed )-
( Teichiko. CD-4 CDX-2528 -Fantastic Japan Jogashima No Ame .)-

AIMG_4261.jpg
BIMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg
IMG_4184.jpg
IMG_4266.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg

Hi. All

Some more CD-4 to my pile.

( RCA. CD-4R4P-5031 -A Real Dolly - Dolly Parton )-
This is the first one I have seen in the Japanese Auctions the second one is her at this .LINK. https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...umperdinck-my-love-with-obi.25417/post-410331 and I paid weeeeellllll under $100.00

( Victor. CD-4 CD4K 7552-5 -Khahaturian Spartacus = Recorded in U.S.S.R : 4LP Box Set )-
( Teichiku. CD-4 CDX-3 -Russian Folks fantasy )-
( Fantasy CD-4 FPM-4003 -Woody Herman Children Of Lima )-
( Philips. CD-4 4DX-4 -Chaquito`s Latin Colours )-
( RCA. CD-4 R4J-7008 -fantastic Strings Mood Vo1.3 )-
( Victor. CD-4 CD4B 5081 -Cherish Golden Delux )-

1A .jpg
1B .jpg
A .JPG
AA .jpg
AAA .JPG
AAAA .jpg
B .jpg
C .jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg

Hi. All

More CD-4 to my pile.

( Victor. CD-4 CD4B-5039 -Japanese female Singer )-
( Victor. CD-4 4D-110 -A Special Victor CD-4 Record Gift )-
( Victor. CD-4 CD4B-5069 Junko Sakurada female Singer )-

View attachment 38825View attachment 38826View attachment 38827View attachment 38828View attachment 38829View attachment 38830
Hey bigbill, seems like you've collected hundreds (or even thousands) of these Japanese Quad LPs, do you actually get around to listening to them all, and if so, do you have some real favorites?:hi

Hey bigbill, seems like you've collected hundreds (or even thousands) of these Japanese Quad LPs, do you actually get around to listening to them all, and if so, do you have some real favorites?:hi

Hi. J.PUPSTER

Well I have been dreading some one asking this question, there`s a story behind the answer.

I have had a CD-4 4DD-5 with a Technics SL-2000 turntable with a Audio Technica at15 Cartridge with good results and I stedally build up my collection of CD-4 LP`S it was slow because I had to buy from the US it was expensive for me in the early days on a low wage.

I`v sold the old homestead about 4 years ago and moved to another home but the lounge is have the size of the old home so I have to rotate my gear to what system I want to listen to whether it be Q4 Reel or Q8 cartridge or my matrix LP`s or CD-4 which is a pan in the 'ASS' there`s a lot of heavy items there..

Now with the on slot of Japanese CD-4 LP`s I have acquired in the last view years I may have a 1000 LP`s there`s abouts of CD4`s now, and I have managed get my hands on a JVC CD4-50 unit and done a quick test and found it gives a superior results over the 4DD-5 by fare.

I have not done anything of serious listening with my gear,
I am in the doldrums at the moment about 2 years ago I hired a company to build a garage with a large room which is going to be my " MANCAVE " where I can set up all my gear in one place in comfort.

But I have had 2 years of battling the local council over getting a permit for the build I have gone from plan A to plan B
and now hopefully should get the permit in the next week or so??

Sorry for the long answer it taking a bit of the load of me, it was to be a birthday present and my retirement all at the same time but did not come to fruition at the time.
BBQ...…...😞

Last edited:
Hi. J.PUPSTER

Well I have been dreading some one asking this question, there`s a story behind the answer.

I have had a CD-4 4DD-5 with a Technics SL-2000 turntable with a Audio Technica at15 Cartridge with good results and I stedally build up my collection of CD-4 LP`S it was slow because I had to buy from the US it was expensive for me in the early days on a low wage.

I`v sold the old homestead about 4 years ago and moved to another home but the lounge is have the size of the old home so I have to rotate my gear to what system I want to listen to whether it be Q4 Reel or Q8 cartridge or my matrix LP`s or CD-4 which is a pan in the 'ASS' there`s a lot of heavy items there..

Now with the on slot of Japanese CD-4 LP`s I have acquired in the last view years I may have a 1000 LP`s there`s abouts of CD4`s now, and I have managed get my hands on a JVC CD4-50 unit and done a quick test and found it gives a superior results over the 4DD-5 by fare.

I am in the doldrums at the moment about 2 years ago I hired a company to build a garage with a large room which is going to be my " MANCAVE " where I can set up all my gear in one place in comfort.

But I have had 2 years of battling the local council over getting a permit for the build I have gone from plan A to plan B

Sorry for the long answer it taking a bit of the load of me, it was to be a birthday present and my retirement all at the same time but did not come to fruition at the time.
BBQ...…...😞
Well I sure hope you can get that Man Cave going, if anyone here, and I mean anyone, deserves it, it's you BBQ! I'll send along some prayers. Keep the faith my man.:love:

Hi. J.PUPSTER

BBQ...…...😞

Know how you feel. Been collecting quad equip and quad mediums for quite a few years. Plan was when my daughter moved out , I use her room for my music . I am still waiting! I do have a small set up in my bedroom , but it is not a great setup with the bed in the way of the sweet spot! But I really do love her company !

Attachments

• 20190411_151717.jpg
    20190411_151717.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 254
Newest addition:
Dionne Warwick / Then Came You
(BS4 2846) c1975
Quadradisc CD4 channel discrete

Regarding your Quincy Jones CD-4 record, it looks quite different from my SQ, although both are A&M, your CD-4 was made in Tokyo Japan 1974.
This record I have is inscribed in the run-off:
(Master # QU-53081 / QU-53082) side A/B
Yours says (QALBT-7 / QALBT-8)
Different quad mastering / mixing???
The record product code on mine is QU-53041 c1973

I don’t know how to attach photos, but this SQ copy outer sleeve has a 1/2” blue perimeter border that repeats the word QUADRAPHONIC and a gold sticker in the lower right corner front side that reads:
“this record has been
SQ ENCODED
printed in the U.S.A.”
This version has the original huge folded poster of QJ inside, does/did your copy have this poster?

I’d love to also have the CD-4 copy to compare to mine - A/B style. I’d even more like to have a discrete 1/4” four track quad reel recorded at 7.5”/sec or 15”!

Newest addition:
(BS4 2846) c1975

Regarding your Quincy Jones CD-4 record, it looks quite different from my SQ, although both are A&M, your CD-4 was made in Tokyo Japan 1974.

I don’t know how to attach photos, but this SQ copy outer sleeve has a 1/2” blue perimeter border that repeats the word QUADRAPHONIC and a gold sticker in the lower right corner front side that reads:
“this record has been
SQ ENCODED
printed in the U.S.A.”
This version has the original huge folded poster of QJ inside, does/did your copy have this poster?

I’d love to also have the CD-4 copy to compare to mine - A/B style. I’d even more like to have a discrete 1/4” four track quad reel recorded at 7.5”/sec or 15”!

i also have the SQ LP of Quincy Jones' "You've Got It Bad Girl" and though the SQ decodes pretty well through the Surround Master, the CD-4 bests it in every way with superior sound, better pressing quality and the not unexpected but all important uptick in separation.
there is also a Japanese Quad Reel which a couple of QQ members have reported on owning although i'm not sure if a Reel conversion is in circulation at this time there are conversions of the SQ and the CD-4 'out there'.

edit: will look tonight and see if my copy of the CD-4 has the poster!

Last edited:

"King Records" in Japan released a number of A&M quads (Carpenters, Rick Wakeman, Quincy Jones, etc) that were SQ/Q8 only in the U.S. as Japanese CD-4's, and in some cases even reels. They also issued CD-4s of some Ode (Carole King), CTI (Deodato, Airto), London (Tom Jones, Gilbert O'Sullivan), and Threshold (Moody Blues) titles.

Last edited:
"King Records" in Japan released a number of A&M quads that were SQ/Q8 only in the U.S. as Japanese CD-4's, and in some cases even reels. They also issued CD-4s of some Ode (Carole King), CTI (Deodato, Airto), London (Tom Jones, Gilbert O'Sullivan), and Threshold (Moody Blues) titles.

there was a mini debate on Discogs, someone corrected a listing where one of those CD-4's went under King Records and they changed it to A&M. tbh i haven't the time or inclination to argue the toss but for my money they should be under King not A&M.. oh well its a minor thing, most importantly King did them on CD-4 which is a real boon because they did a great job and the closer we can get to discrete the better! :smokin

Newest addition:
(BS4 2846) c1975

“this record has been
SQ ENCODED
printed in the U.S.A.”

update: my CD-4 has no poster or obi but has an insert which is mostly in Japanese so I can't tell you what it says! :unsure:
the LP is the most important thing to me and its pretty much pristine which is more than I could say for my SQ copy! hoorah! :dance

Back