What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spookily enough, i went looking for the CD-4 after seeing the chat at QQ about the SACD.. wowzers its uncommon! 😅
It was considerably cheaper than the SACD (though the issue there is really the international shipping/handling charges from Tower Records rather than the MSRP) and sounds really good, no 'sandpaper' distortion or any of the usual CD-4 quirks. One thing I did find interesting is that the tonal balance is similar to the SACD, there's a serious lack of low-end and the highs get a bit overbearing during the busier passages - I suppose that could mean the SACD is close to a flat transfer of the quad master?

This is the sort of thing that helps keep my interest in surround alive!
Can this be for real? We shall see :LOL:

MAMBO.jpg

any good? Poll isn't much help. :unsure:
As far as the quad mix goes, pretty 'meh' - some elements exclusively in front channels (drums), others in all four speakers (vocals), not much exclusively panned to rear. My used copy of the LP doesn't sound bad though, it's less prone to sandpaper distortion than other US WEA pressings.

I think that this is one of the ONLY 3 CD-4 LPs I have (in Madrid)...the other ones being James Gang-Miami and Larry Harlow Live ("Harlow-Live in Quad" a HORRIBLE pressing , btw)
Yeah, how'd you like the Latin Rhythm Festival, I haven't heard it yet? Still got a long cleaning session lined up before I can work with them.

Yeah, how'd you like the Latin Rhythm Festival, I haven't heard it yet? Still got a long cleaning session lined up before I can work with them.
I love you Pupster but asking me to be honest is verrrryy dangerous....
This is my take on those Japanese "Latin" LPs.. the Japanese are VERY thorough and will get to the bottom of whatever it is.. the thing about these "Latin" (and I am not talking about "Ergo Est...") recordings is that you have to have "Swing" when performing...and the Japanese. for most of their part , and I am not saying ALL of them; have to make it swing, and they do not have "it" mijo.......as a recording engineer in SJ, PR in 1990 and 1995 I encountered all kind of musicians who, if you did not know your butt from a hole in the ground, would sound ALMOST like a preprogrammed MIDI sequence, but, when you got down to the brass tacks, you would finally go.."man, what SWING!"...so , forgive me for being a bit favoring towards Caribbean musicians but that's mostly it...
The best thing about those Japanese 70s recordings is the sound quality... now , THAT , they definitely had perfected...stuff from the early to late 70s from PR or NY sounded quite muddy...and mind you, they went to NY to record their stuff but still...too much manteca going around...
Bottom line; it's not a BAD record and it sounds really good but .. it don't swing...but then , that's just ME....

I love you Pupster but asking me to be honest is verrrryy dangerous....
This is my take on those Japanese "Latin" LPs.. the Japanese are VERY thorough and will get to the bottom of whatever it is.. the thing about these "Latin" (and I am not talking about "Ergo Est...") recordings is that you have to have "Swing" when performing...and the Japanese. for most of their part , and I am not saying ALL of them; have to make it swing, and they do not have "it" mijo.......as a recording engineer in SJ, PR in 1990 and 1995 I encountered all kind of musicians who, if you did not know your butt from a hole in the ground, would sound ALMOST like a preprogrammed MIDI sequence, but, when you got down to the brass tacks, you would finally go.."man, what SWING!"...so , forgive me for being a bit favoring towards Caribbean musicians but that's mostly it...
The best thing about those Japanese 70s recordings is the sound quality... now , THAT , they definitely had perfected...stuff from the early to late 70s from PR or NY sounded quite muddy...and mind you, they went to NY to record their stuff but still...too much manteca going around...
Bottom line; it's not a BAD record and it sounds really good but .. it don't swing...but then , that's just ME....
Hey, I know exactly of what you speak, most of it has what I call that "One foot nailed down sound!" But also the surroundiness of the Quad is pretty darn good IMO.

Back