What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this in from Japan, and yeah , it was in near mint condition. Just need the BTO 4DX-56 to make a threesome.
20191026_224947 - Copy.jpg

OK, some kind of Croce (maybe live) but I don't read Japanese, so what is it, and hey what'd ya pay for it? :p
*Never mind the pay part...

It's the I Got A Name studio album. Popped up on Discogs for about $180 shipped - most I've payed for vinyl to date. But I don't feel too bad considering that there's a copy on eBay for $500 right now...

It's the I Got A Name studio album. Popped up on Discogs for about $180 shipped - most I've payed for vinyl to date. But I don't feel too bad considering that there's a copy on eBay for $500 right now...
Hey I respect that, puttin' your money where your love is. At least you got what you think you ordered, unlike some Poopsters out there ordering the wrong title! (See "THE BAND" thread for a good laugher!)

Last edited:
Also, pretty sure you've got the Q8 of that one already; so I'm interested how the mix is, in comparison.

I suspect it was the one on Yahoo Auctions for about ¥150000.
Not bad... I have always said that , IF you really wanted it...well, go ahead!!!! It's not like I have paid through the nose for a bunch of stuff....
the person who is free of sin shall cast the first stone (and you know the rest of the sacrilegous joke...or not..)

Here's one you definitely don't see too often. Just don't ask me what I payed for it...

View attachment 43744
Well, that's a nice find , likely quite rare too, at least nowadays.

FWIW Quad sleuths ;
I've been searching through Billboard 72-76 these past few months.......and a sort of pattern was developing in Japan rather early on.
That would be that many American, English, and European artists that toured at the time recorded by the Japanese labels for both quad albums, and or quad matrix broadcasting.
I believe in this particular case the artist (Croce) was recorded but it was never divulged at the time that it would be in quad. Not unusual for Japan as the Japanese labels really went out of their way (and had this quad tendency )to push/promote quad product, much more than American, etc labels.

So anyways i guess what i'm saying is keep sluething for those Japanese releases fr the seventies , and you may just get lucky enough to find unknown quads , live , but still worth having. :)

Well, that's a nice find , likely quite rare too, at least nowadays.

FWIW Quad sleuths ;
I've been searching through Billboard 72-76 these past few months.......and a sort of pattern was developing in Japan rather early on.
That would be that many American, English, and European artists that toured at the time recorded by the Japanese labels for both quad albums, and or quad matrix broadcasting.
I believe in this particular case the artist (Croce) was recorded but it was never divulged at the time that it would be in quad. Not unusual for Japan as the Japanese labels really went out of their way (and had this quad tendency )to push/promote quad product, much more than American, etc labels.

So anyways i guess what i'm saying is keep sluething for those Japanese releases fr the seventies , and you may just get lucky enough to find unknown quads , live , but still worth having. :)
Are you suggesting this is different than the American/Canadian quad release of "I Got A Name"?

WP_20200125_14_51_15_Rich.jpg
Montly " Pay day " arrived , so I did it again! But this time more expensive than usual. Reason, another local record store had a bin labled " Audiophile / collectors and Quad titles " Then you know you're getting " cleaned out ", sotospeak.
But I liked the titles, so I bought them anyway and vinyl is in top shape at least!
1) Elvis - Promised Land on QuadraDisc CD-4
2) Elvis - Graceland / Recorded live on stage in Memphis on QuadraDisc CD-4
3) Santana - No Title ( CQ 30595 ) on SQ Quadraphonic
4) Barbara Streisand - Live Concert At The Forum on SQ Quadraphonic

They also got a ' pink ' ( I forgot title ) Jimmy Hendrix stereo vinyl album for sale for 'only' $220,-. I'm a huge Jimmy fan,..but I think I pass on this one!

Last edited:
My phone died while I was in the middle of typing and somehow it just posted. Anyway, I got my first CD-4s which are:
-Kenwood CD-4 Test Record (which would have came with my receiver)
-The Fisher Test and Performance Standard (sealed)
-Brad Miller Sound In Motion(sealed)
-Brad Miller The Forest and The Water(sealed)
-Tomita Claire De Lune (japan)
-Zappa Apostrophe
-Hot Tuna Yellow Fever
-Sabbath Paranoid
My demodulator works but it has problems, I get solid radar lock on all these, but the rear-right channel cuts out until it warms up for a couple minutes, the pot feels a little crusty, I took it apart and sprayed the pots with deoxit which helped a little. When I play the carrier test tone, the rear left vu meter is slightly higher than the rest, although its probably because it was done by eye, I know nothing about cartridge alignmen, but I think I have found the sweet spot of the seperation post, I was expecting crappy sound quality but it sounded really good. It really is an amazing technology.
20200419_234609.jpg

Here is my demodulator:
20200414_145029.jpg

There are some incredible pictures and scans in this thread of some VERY VERY VERY x200 rare CD-4 vinyl. I huge thanks to all of the QQ folks who have posted them, and keep it going. This thread is becoming an archive of these rare records.

For those who are still stuck home in quarantine and bored with Netfix and such, start at page one of this thread and move through it slowly. You will really be in awe of some of this stuff. Amazing shit!! Good job to all. (y)

Back