What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

I have a strange one here Philips LP called power sonic4 it has a reference to Australia in the text anybody knows what this is its says Ambio in the photo...

Bill
I pulled out my copy to play
This system is what gave quad a bad name 2 channel 4 speakers
The Lp is stereo
They may have picked the tracks for some type of Ambiance
I played side 1 with the QSD 1 in the QS mode this is my marks for Surround effects
Spinning Wheel 4/10
Cuando 7/10
Acapulco 4/10
Speak softly 8/10
St. Louis Blues 7/10
I,ll never Fall 6/10

Hi. All

I have a strange one here Philips LP called power sonic4 it has a reference to Australia in the text anybody knows what this is its says Ambio in the photo...

Bill
I pulled out my copy to play
This system is what gave quad a bad name 2 channel 4 speakers
The Lp is stereo
They may have picked the tracks for some type of Ambiance
I played side 1 with the QSD 1 in the QS mode this is my marks for Surround effects
Spinning Wheel 4/10
Cuando 7/10
Acapulco 4/10
Speak softly 8/10
St. Louis Blues 7/10
I,ll never Fall 6/10

Thanks for your listening test rustyandi, unfortunately at the moment I cant do any listening test because I have sold my quad speakers I want to up grade to more modern up market set..

so you have a Quad system but no speakers
Your wife must be pleased
I hope the new ones are bigger

so you have a Quad system but no speakers
Your wife must be pleased
I hope the new ones are bigger

Hi. rustyandi

I`m afraid I am a full fledged bachelor and have no restriction placed on me, this is why I can delve into my great Quad passion.

Yes I am looking to buy polk Signature S55 Tower Speakers or the Klipsch RP-260F Tower Speakers I think my preference is going to be the polk S55 set.
Bill...

My first ever (deliberate) quad LP purchase! In honor of the Bernstein centenary: a sealed copy of Bernstein & Wilbur, Candide, OCR of the 1974 revival, Columbia Q2S 32923. Mixed by Adam-Blue Buckley's main man Larry Keyes.

Sadly, I have no quad playback equipment, although before I send it off to one of QQ's old pros (you know who you are), who has kindly offered to run it through his SurroundMaster, I may have a quick listen with the Dolby PLII setting on my AVR--and/or do a needle-drop recording and start playing around with Adobe Audition decode scripts.

But what I'm really hoping is that, just as washing your car or hanging your washing on the line makes it rain, my purchase of this album will result in an announcement that this--along with Dybbuk and Trouble in Tahiti--are among the next round of releases from Michael Dutton. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tahiti is the only one of the three to have had a discrete-quad release (Q8).

IMG_20180215_081231164.jpg

My first ever (deliberate) quad LP purchase! In honor of the Bernstein centenary: a sealed copy of Bernstein & Wilbur, Candide, OCR of the 1974 revival, Columbia Q2S 32923. Mixed by Adam-Blue Buckley's main man Larry Keyes.

Sadly, I have no quad playback equipment, although before I send it off to one of QQ's old pros (you know who you are), who has kindly offered to run it through his SurroundMaster, I may have a quick listen with the Dolby PLII setting on my AVR--and/or do a needle-drop recording and start playing around with Adobe Audition decode scripts.

But what I'm really hoping is that, just as washing your car or hanging your washing on the line makes it rain, my purchase of this album will result in an announcement that this--along with Dybbuk and Trouble in Tahiti--are among the next round of releases from Michael Dutton. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tahiti is the only one of the three to have had a discrete-quad release (Q8).

View attachment 32185

Candide was also on Dbl Q8

https://www.discogs.com/Leonard-Ber...ng-Of-The-Complete-Production/release/8184742

Edit: and there was apparently a Dybbuk Q8 release also

https://www.discogs.com/Leonard-Ber...Orchestra-Jerome-Robbins-Dybb/release/8129347

how and which ones FW?
the couple of late era Single Inventory CBS SQ LPs I have, both Classical, CBS Masterworks imprint (Stravinsky Pulcinella Suite - 1978) and (Britten In Memoriam - 1977) both say "Printed In Holland" on the reverse of their sleeves.. does that answer the question? :yikes

Kinda does, yes.

Here's those Quad Only (single inventory ) discs as per Quad Inc 's catalogue . Thanks to Larry 's due diligence .

Did not know they , the Masterworks #'s went into the 35xxx .

20180214_191441.jpg20180214_191453.jpg

and some populars list. -middle pic

20180214_190502.jpg20180214_191733.jpg

The 77 Van Leer , Preservation Hall Jazz , Three Penny Opera , and Annie.

(Not shown in this pic is My Fair Lady (76 original cast ) *PS-34197

:D

I stand (gratefully) corrected! (I think what happened was that when I was researching those three titles, I couldn't find a Q8 of Dybbuk or Candide for sale--which info my failing brain then transmogrified into "never released"...)

So discrete mixes of all three are ready and waiting for Michael Dutton's steady hand, then! In the meantime, I'd love to hear a good transfer of the Q8s.

Last edited:
Kinda does, yes.

Here's those Quad Only (single inventory ) discs as per Quad Inc 's catalogue . Thanks to Larry 's due diligence .

Did not know they , the Masterworks #'s went into the 35xxx .

View attachment 32189View attachment 32190

and some populars list. -middle pic

View attachment 32191View attachment 32192

The 77 Van Leer , Preservation Hall Jazz , Three Penny Opera , and Annie.

(Not shown in this pic is My Fair Lady (76 original cast ) *PS-34197

:D

isn't Thijs Van Leer's "Introspection 2" SQ LP from 1975?

isn't Thijs Van Leer's "Introspection 2" SQ LP from 1975?

Recorded in 75 but probably released later ? Not totally certain, on that date though. I'll peek at my copy...later.

CBS did not get big into the S.I. releasing until 77 and 78 from what I know. The silly buggers should of thought of this years beforehand !!!!! Hey... it , SQ , is stereo compatible afterall .:rolleyes:
So anyways " Freddy always steady at the ready " found anymore curios on the pressing front re CBS ?? - Well and Van Leer had 3 quad SQ discs from what I can see ....the third disc , HOLLAND based only I think.

Recorded in 75 but probably released later ? Not totally certain, on that date though. I'll peek at my copy...later.

CBS did not get big into the S.I. releasing until 77 and 78 from what I know. The silly buggers should of thought of this years beforehand !!!!! Hey... it , SQ , is stereo compatible afterall .:rolleyes:
So anyways " Freddy always steady at the ready " found anymore curios on the pressing front re CBS ?? - Well and Van Leer had 3 quad SQ discs from what I can see ....the third disc , HOLLAND based only I think.

there's Introspection I & II, what's the third Quad from Thijs Van Leer?

no more CBS curios i have that i can think of.. if i think of any "i'll be back" here! :D

Introspection III as a single inventory release - a quad mix but not labelled as such.

Does this apply for all worldwide issues on LP? I didn't see it in the surround discography or I would have bought it when it came into my LRS. If it is still there, I will buy it. I believe the one I saw was a Canadian pressing.

Mehta, NY Phil, Stravinsky, Rite of Spring SQ

I have a Sansui quad receiver, an extra 1200 and four EPI 100 speakers. What I don't have is a room to set them up in. I thought the kids would be gone by now. :teleport:

Back