What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cover is bizarre, although informed sources say that QX is far more complex than EV-4 and the two are in fact not the same. Seems that QX and QS are not compatible either, technically.

Just ordered a at440mlb expecting it within the next few days, also the test record for my kenwood. I recently lost a nut because I had a screw loose and I just cant find it anywhere (cartridge is hanging by just one screw). I am not expecting optimal CD-4 performance from the old pl12d, and I dont have any CD-4 records yet, but at least I will be able to play them without damaging them until I get a better TT. I am very eager to test the demodulator on my kenwood not sure if it was ever used at all, hopefully it still worksView attachment 47972
I'd love to know how that cartridge works out for you. CD-4 compatible cartridges are so hard to find these days.

According to Wikipedia QX is one of the systems included under RM. It shows the use of a center speaker as well (5.0 in the time of Quad). Most likely it shares encode coefficients with QS but minus the J phase shift on the rears, so the same as the original Scheiber system. Similar to EV-4 but with slightly different coefficients. If I could read Japanese maybe I could tell more, although sometimes the technical notes are meant more to impress with technobabble than to actually explain how the system works. Double Helical Modulation anyone.

Hi. All
I`v been recording some of my Japanese matrix LP`s on to the computer and doing a little declicking , these where Columbia QX matrix and I always wanted to now what type of matrix they where and low and behold it was right in front of ME...
it seems it is .........Electrovoice 4 system...…. look down to the third photo
View attachment 50094View attachment 50095
View attachment 50096
View attachment 50097
View attachment 50098
View attachment 50099
Odd QX speaker layout in the diagram; looks like (in English) FL & FR close together, then two straight out sides L&R, and one in the center Rear? 🧐

Odd QX speaker layout in the diagram; looks like (in English) FL & FR close together, then two straight out sides L&R, and one in the center Rear? 🧐
Yes, very odd speaker placement, I thought at first that it was the other way around with one center speaker and two in the rear. The reference to Electrovoice Stereo-4 is also puzzling, unless it's just to show that those recordings are supposed to be compatible with the QX decode system.

I'd love to know how that cartridge works out for you. CD-4 compatible cartridges are so hard to find these days.

It works great so far, no loss of radar signal, crystal clear sound, noticable improvement for matrix records, the Fisher/Enoch Light CD-4 test record sounded amazing I was blown away, and no surface noise (it was sealed), definitely recommend it.

I knew the CD’s Exposed and Boxed is SQ encoded, but none else of Oldfield.
Pretty nice separation on Exposed. For example in the last part of Guity is a pretty clear guitar in Right Rear playing the Tubular Bells theme and a rhythmic keyboard in the Left Rear. Listen deeper to the Incantation part some time some instruments also appear most clearly in the rears.

I my desire of getting all Oldfield in surround I also decoded other of his albums and BANG: ‘Heaven's Open’ is at least double as good separated than Exposed and Boxed!
Especially ‘Music from The Balcony’ (Fantastic instrumental and the last with Simon Philip I think) It have a fantastic separation 5:02 - 6:05 – See the picture.
I couldn’t believe a so fantastic quad mix was hidden in that old 1991 CD, lol!
Five first tracks where Oldfield sings also are amazing in quad!

Have some of you heard that ‘Heaven's Open’ should be 'a quadrophonic recording' (as written on Exposed)?

Music From The Balcony.jpg

I knew the CD’s Exposed and Boxed is SQ encoded, but none else of Oldfield.
Pretty nice separation on Exposed. For example in the last part of Guity is a pretty clear guitar in Right Rear playing the Tubular Bells theme and a rhythmic keyboard in the Left Rear. Listen deeper to the Incantation part some time some instruments also appear most clearly in the rears.

I my desire of getting all Oldfield in surround I also decoded other of his albums and BANG: ‘Heaven's Open’ is at least double as good separated than Exposed and Boxed!
Especially ‘Music from The Balcony’ (Fantastic instrumental and the last with Simon Philip I think) It have a fantastic separation 5:02 - 6:05 – See the picture.
I couldn’t believe a so fantastic quad mix was hidden in that old 1991 CD, lol!
Five first tracks where Oldfield sings also are amazing in quad!

Have some of you heard that ‘Heaven's Open’ should be 'a quadrophonic recording' (as written on Exposed)?

View attachment 51816

What was your decode Matrix method for this?

I see the name Thom (Tom) Newman as producer & engineer for many of Oldfield's albums as well as some others. Maybe check out some more of his work.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/99601-Tom-Newman-2

What was your decode Matrix method for this?

I see the name Thom (Tom) Newman as producer & engineer for many of Oldfield's albums as well as some others. Maybe check out some more of his work.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/99601-Tom-Newman-2

I ran the CD through a ProLogic II Music decoder on my Yamaha RX-A1010 (with a manual quad setup - normally 5.1)

Newman is not on this list: QuadraphonicQuad - Engineers Lists - But maybe not updated;)
And no Oldfield albums on his site on discogs......

I ran the CD through a ProLogic II Music decoder on my Yamaha RX-A1010 (with a manual quad setup - normally 5.1)

Newman is not on this list: QuadraphonicQuad - Engineers Lists - But maybe not updated;)
And no Oldfield albums on his site on discogs......
I just meant that perhaps other Newman CDs would possibly decode well like "Heaven's Open."

Since Tubular Bells seems to be available in both CD-4 and SQ on vinyl, I'm curious which one people think is better and why.

I wanted to get one of these for my collection. (I think I had the stereo LP years ago and I can't find it.) My CD-4 is marginal these days but I'm working on it. SQ, while not my favorite of the matrixes, (matrices?) decodes pretty well on my Sansui QRX-7001.

Your thoughts are always appreciated!

That cover is bizarre, although informed sources say that QX is far more complex than EV-4 and the two are in fact not the same. Seems that QX and QS are not compatible either, technically.
QX and QS both conform to the Regular Matrix standard. Many of the albums that claim to be QX- or QM-encoded used Sansui encoders. The matrix used in the UD-4 system, however, is proprietary, and is not compatible with QS, or any other Regular Matrix. Not compatible with SQ, either.

Listened to this one today, my first international purchase since the start of the pandemic. Music is exciting like Shen Yun excellent sound quality, different instruments in each corner:
20200623_005244.jpg20200623_005122.jpg

Also got these recently:
Big 4 A Competitive Performance
20200623_215602.jpg

The Who Decidedly Belated Response, not sure if this is actually quad, of it is then the mix is about as good as the sound quality lol
20200623_010937.jpg

Also got minty copies of CCR Gold and J5 Greatest Hits(w/o obi strip) on Cd-4
20200623_010809.jpg

Back