What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200810_161126.jpg

Grateful Dead Steal Your Face(sealed copy)
Played it in QS, has about equal power from all channels no quad effects, sounded great.

20200810_160935.jpg

Nuge Free For All SQ

20200810_160810.jpg

Peter Schikele The Intimate P.D.Q. Bach
Interesting mix and fun record for <$10

20200810_161331.jpg

Laxblecket I Kvadrat CD-4 (Sweden)
I know this isn't matrix but dont want to make separate post. Its actually a great match for the pdq bach record above, though mostly instrumental, has cool quad sound effects. Here is some back and translation from Swedish:
20200810_162553.jpg

20200810_162404.jpg

20200810_162721.jpg

20200810_162703.jpg

20200810_162633.jpg

Also American Woman CD-4
20200810_161036.jpg

Also American Woman CD-4
View attachment 55095
[/QUOTE]

It was released in Japan only. A copy on eBay has been listed for some time at $400, I now see that it's now listed at $299.99. Before the SACD came out I made that same seller a very reasonable offer but was not even given the courtesy of a refusal or counter offer. Thanks to DV I don't need it anymore

Those CD-4s (the early ones in the JVC Japan "R4P" series) were some of the first ever pressed, I'm guessing in either late 1971 or early 1972 - they're LP equivalents of quad titles from the US PQ8 series of Q8s, which had no LP equivalent stateside.

I don't think they'd perfected their CD-4 cutting process yet (at least in terms of the number of minutes they could get on one side) because almost all of them omit at least one track, presumably to keep the running time to something like 15 or 16 minutes per side. In the case of American Woman, both 969 (The Oldest Man) and 8:15 were removed on the Japanese R4P release pictured above.

My guess is that the reason that these were only released in Japan is that RCA felt like US customers would (rightly) balk at the idea of quad LP releases having tracks arbitrarily removed compared to the Q8 (and original stereo) version, so they just waited until the technology allowed for longer length CD-4 cutting to become a thing. It was almost certainly at the expense of fidelity, but they were releasing CD-4s with 18-20 minutes per side in the US in 1972, and sometime in 1973 they managed to squeeze 25 minutes per side on an LP, like with their quad version of the Hair soundtrack, originally a Q8 only release in 1970 and then re-released as a CD-4 in 1973.

I don't think they'd perfected their CD-4 cutting process yet (at least in terms of the number of minutes they could get on one side) because almost all of them omit at least one track, presumably to keep the running time to something like 15 or 16 minutes per side. In the case of American Woman, both 969 (The Oldest Man) and 8:15 were removed on the Japanese R4P release pictured above.

Aside from the missing songs and wide lead-out, another interesting thing I've noticed with those R4P titles is that they tend to be pressed very quiet. My American Woman CD-4 needs to be seriously cranked, like even more so than the D-V SACD which is relatively low in level. Maybe there was some kind of limit on how loud CD-4 records could get at the time?

Aside from the missing songs and wide lead-out, another interesting thing I've noticed with those R4P titles is that they tend to be pressed very quiet. My American Woman CD-4 needs to be seriously cranked, like even more so than the D-V SACD which is relatively low in level. Maybe there was some kind of limit on how loud CD-4 records could get at the time?

I think almost all Japanese CD-4s were quieter than US pressings, and I actually think that's part of the reason they sound better.

It may have been the case that in those very early days they had to press them at exceptionally low levels just to get the system to work, but I get the impression that the RCA engineers that came up with CD-4 knew full well that they were (to paraphrase noted philosopher "Stone Cold" Steve Austin) trying to stuff 10 lbs. of crap into a 5 lb. bag, and that compromises were going to have to be made as a result. I think this was one of the compromises they made.

It seems to me that even though they didn't want to say it publicly, they knew that pressing CD-4 at the same levels as stereo vinyl led to sibilance and distortion that was magnified during the demodulation process, resulting in what we now call "sandpaper quad." I get the impression (for a few reasons) that RCA's early approach was that they wanted to make CD-4 QuadraDiscs as a de facto standard as a single-inventory quad solution, and that the actual quality of the quad playback kinda took a backseat to establishing market share - ie in their eyes, if they pressed their US records at a volume that led to "sandpaper" quad, it was an acceptable compromise if it meant they were selling more of them to stereo buyers who were never playing them in quad anyway.

There's a long list of CD-4s that basically seem to fall into the "impossible to demodulate without distortion" category, and nearly all of them are from the US, like most of the Arista titles, some of the A&Ms like Cat Stevens Greatest Hits etc. and I don't think it's the shortcomings of a demodulator or turntable setup, I think these defects are baked in to the record (so to speak) as a result of the aggressive way CD-4s were cut in the US. I know @fredblue can attest to this, as I remember him telling me about buying sealed copies of US CD-4 records and still not being able to get them to demodulate without distortion whereas others worked fine.

This isn't something that was only discovered after the fact - I kinda marvelled at one of the hosts of that 'Men of Hi-Fi' series on WNYC (links in this thread) really giving Keith Holzmann (who was one of the guys in charge of WEA's quad program) the gears over the poor fidelity of the WEA QuadraDiscs during his appearance on one of their shows to promote their rollout sometime in 1973. All Holzmann could really say in response was that he thought the discrete approach was better than its matrix competitors.

20200819_184146.jpg

Inti-Illimani Hacia La Libertad (SQ Italy)
Textured cover, haven't listened yet.

20200819_184236.jpg

Pink Floyd DSOTM Japan RM 4 Channel
This is my first quad copy of this album, I figure I could find an SQ copy just about any day so saved for this one first. My QSD-2 is starting on it's way to Oregon today so I won't play it until it gets back. Also ordered QQ sticker :)

Hey Furui aren't Inti Illimani from Peru? I think I saw them years ago.
Curious that a Peruvian group got mixed in quad. They did traditional folk music though as this Lp cover suggests with a Marxist twist in the 70s.
I guess the Sendero Luminoso killed that trend.

Curious that a Peruvian group got mixed in quad. They did traditional folk music though as this Lp cover suggests with a Marxist twist in the 70s.
I think they are Chilean, it was recorded at Sciascia Sound studios which is connected with Vedette, so the band must have went to Italy I assume.

Listening now through Tate, its definitely real SQ. Different vocals and instruments between front and rear, also isolated in corners at times, actually a great mix and music.

View attachment 55384
Inti-Illimani Hacia La Libertad (SQ Italy)
Textured cover, haven't listened yet.

View attachment 55385
Pink Floyd DSOTM Japan RM 4 Channel
This is my first quad copy of this album, I figure I could find an SQ copy just about any day so saved for this one first. My QSD-2 is starting on it's way to Oregon today so I won't play it until it gets back. Also ordered QQ sticker :)
I can tell you this QS/RM version blows away the SQ version. I've compared the two with the SMv2, and it's quite apparent.

Furui if Inti Illimani went to Italy to record their Hacia La Libertad in quad its possible that all issues are SQ encoded including Peruvian and Spanish lp issues and the CD. Would be interesting to find out.

Furui if Inti Illimani went to Italy to record their Hacia La Libertad in quad its possible that all issues are SQ encoded including Peruvian and Spanish lp issues and the CD. Would be interesting to find out.
There are yt videos of some of the songs could run through SQ, I actually got a copy of Cuba Hoy by Manguare with the Inti-Illimani record which was also recorded at Sciascia Sound studios just a few months later and released on the Discs of the Zodiac label just because they match and secretly hoping at it might be a stealth quad which it is not, is a good stereo mix though. I was reading a little about Armando Sciascia, from what I gather he had a studio in Italy released Latin folk and erotic easy listening music, an interesting character.

Back