What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty lucky. On a day trip to Asheville NC, I stopped into Harvest Records (recommend by the Vinyl Carolina Facebook group) and found that all their quads were in a separate section called "audiophile." Lots of Sheffield discs and some 1/2 speed masters, too. It was a small section, but I walked away with these beauties. All pristine condition, too. (They must be cleaning them before putting them in the bins.
Harvest quads.jpg

Space Experience is cheesy, but wonderful. I bought it on Q8 as a new release. found a sealed SQ in the late '90's and a UK CD (w/SE 2, which isn't Quad)

Being a Sci-Fi fan, Joe fell in love with this.

I own 4 of 5 QLP's depicted. Of those, SE is the best, IMHO.

I created a legacy poll several months ago: Quad LP/Tape Poll - Keating, John: Space Experience [SQ/Q8]

Recommended.

I am pretty lucky. On a day trip to Asheville NC, I stopped into Harvest Records (recommend by the Vinyl Carolina Facebook group) and found that all their quads were in a separate section called "audiophile." Lots of Sheffield discs and some 1/2 speed masters, too. It was a small section, but I walked away with these beauties. All pristine condition, too. (They must be cleaning them before putting them in the bins. View attachment 70829
gg, I don’t recognize that top album; what is that?

I am pretty lucky. On a day trip to Asheville NC, I stopped into Harvest Records (recommend by the Vinyl Carolina Facebook group) and found that all their quads were in a separate section called "audiophile." Lots of Sheffield discs and some 1/2 speed masters, too. It was a small section, but I walked away with these beauties. All pristine condition, too. (They must be cleaning them before putting them in the bins. View attachment 70829

nice haul! 😁 The O'Jays' "Message In The Music" is the absolute Surround gem there by a country mile imho, engineered by PIR's main man Arthur Stoppe and Sigma's owner Joe Tarsia in '76 its one of the most accomplished, fresh and modern sounding Quads i've ever heard, no hype its really as good as a Scheiner or Wilson 5.1 mix, i just wish it was on MultiCh SACD like all their other Quads so that more people could hear how good the Quad is as the SQ LP is pretty thin on the ground and the Q8 tapes seriously scarce.

Well, let us know when you've partaken then please K?
Well, technically this is in the wrong forum since that particular album in the cluster I bought is CD-4..... But.....

It's very nice. Pretty much what you'd call "beautiful music" from back in the day. One tune I recognized was "Over the Rainbow" but the arrangement took about a minute and a half or so into it before I figured that out. Very nice actually, lots of trumpet on that one. Also Chim Chim Cher-ee. Another interesting arrangement. Starting out very fast. Then slowing down. Then very very fast. Fun actually. I found it all to be a pretty active mix, considering it's orchestral pieces. Not my favorite taste in music, but perfect for a Sunday morning and worth the $15 I paid for it.

---edit. I checked back and it was actually $8! :SB

Last edited:
Yeah, I know I should look around more for Quad LPs. I go to Disk Union, etc almost every week 😂. But since DVD-As and SACDs came out, I have been spoiled with modern surround recordings of Classical music. I‘ve kind of drifted away from acquiring LPs and am a bit rusty on what to look for. Besides being clearly labeled as Quadraphonic on LPs, is there any other less obvious labeling, coding, catalog numbers, etc… that indicates a record is Quad or has some embedded Quad matrix? (Fizzy, Scott, Linda, or anyone else are welcomed to chime in on this.)

Hmmmmm, let me think.

I think your best bet might be to check past posts on this thread . For a good first start.

BBQ (Big Bill Quad) has an incredible collection of JAPANESE quads , some of which are quite rare but one outstanding recognition point is that they all have some indication of which quad format they're in.

So you may have to go back a few dozen pages on this thread to see what he has .That should provide you with a good idea of what to look for, when searching for quads . Most notably if the obi strip is missing on those used albums .

Also besides BBQ's amazing collection of quad albums that are Japanese , there are a smattering of other Quaddies pics . So LUTE that's probably the best way to start your search. They should provide your with a pretty accurate guide of what to search for .

Secondly and just as important :

Apart from this thread of incredible pics.... Mark Anderson's Quad Discography has a pretty good Asian specific quad page , However they're Asian artists.

The Quad Discography does have some North American/European artists* released in Japan that are interspersed in the Popular page so it's possible that there are some for the Classical listing , seeing as how that seems to be your favourites .
* some of which are exclusive to Japanese Records , and never saw the light of day in English or European Countries, which makes them all the more collectibles.

Anyway happy hunting (wish it was me) , with great envy , as this is what I love to do, ferret out those elusive quad albums in second hand or used Record Stores .

-FIZZY'S, Sleuthing techniques , patent pending.

@Lute

Also when your doing your sluething ....here are some known Japanese quad matrix labels to watch out for ;

KING , MINORUPHONE , NIPPON COLUMBIA , POLYDOR KK. ,TEICHIKU , TOHO , TRIO , PIONEER , WARNER/PIONEER ,
AUDIOLAB , SONY , SANYO , TOSHIBA , TOSHIBA/EMI , TOSHIBA/PROBE , CROWN , YAMAHA , SANSUI , ERATO , JVC

VICTOR , RCA , MOTOWN , AVCO , GLOBE , RANWOOD , MUSICOR , MILESTONE , PHILLIPS , A&M , LONDON ,
RARE EARTH , VANGUARD , and CTI .

Whoops forgot : PHONOGRAM , PHONOGRAM/MERCURY .

In addition there may be a few obscure labels . I'd definitely check out the Samplers.

As to matrix formats , both SQ and CD-4 should be easy to spot , as would QS and UD-4 .
Some others may be QM , QX , RM , 4D , 4M , QUADRA , 4X , MS , M4 , S4 , and probably a few others , I can't remember. There could even be some that simply say compatible with Sansui , or Sony quad , or Stereo Compatible Surround .

Happy sleuthing ,

Fizzem :)

Last edited:
@Lute

Also when your doing your sluething ....here are some known Japanese quad matrix labels to watch out for ;

KING , MINORUPHONE , NIPPON COLUMBIA , POLYDOR KK. ,TEICHIKU , TOHO , TRIO , PIONEER , WARNER/PIONEER ,
AUDIOLAB , SONY , SANYO , TOSHIBA , TOSHIBA/EMI , TOSHIBA/PROBE , CROWN , YAMAHA , SANSUI , ERATO , JVC

VICTOR , RCA , MOTOWN , AVCO , GLOBE , RANWOOD , MUSICOR , MILESTONE , PHILLIPS , A&M , LONDON ,
RARE EARTH , VANGUARD , and CTI .

Whoops forgot : PHONOGRAM , PHONOGRAM/MERCURY .

In addition there may be a few obscure labels . I'd definitely check out the Samplers.

As to matrix formats , both SQ and CD-4 should be easy to spot , as would QS and UD-4 .
Some others may be QM , QX , RM , 4D , 4M , QUADRA , 4X , MS , M4 , S4 , and probably a few others , I can't remember. There could even be some that simply say compatible with Sansui , or Sony quad , or Stereo Compatible Surround .

Happy sleuthing ,

Fizzem :)
WOW! All that valuable info and tips on searching for Quad LPs is much appreciated. 😍😍 Knowing the various names of record labels and formats will be a big help. King Records has an office near my house. I wonder if any old-timers from the Quad era still work there. 😉

Over the years, I have enjoyed seeing QQers’ photos of Quad LPs on this thread and elsewhere. I will go back and have a more detailed look at what’s actually printed on them. 🔍🧐

Thanks again! 🤗✨

Brett

Last edited:
WOW! All that valuable info and tips on searching for Quad LPs is much appreciated. 😍😍 Knowing the various names of record labels and formats will a big help. King Records has an office near my house. I wonder if any old-timers from the Quad era still work there. 😉

Over the years, I have enjoyed seeing QQers’ photos of Quad LPs on this thread and elsewhere. I will go back and have a more detailed look at what’s actually printed on them. 🔍🧐

Thanks again! 🤗✨

Brett

wonder whether King might still have any of the A&M Quad masters for titles they issued on CD-4 such as Quincy Jones' You Got It Bad Girl & Body Heat and Rick Wakeman's Six Wives.. 🤔

wonder whether King might still have any of the A&M Quad masters for titles they issued on CD-4 such as Quincy Jones' You Got It Bad Girl & Body Heat and Rick Wakeman's Six Wives.. 🤔
I don’t know what they would think about me showing up. Maybe if I wear my QQ badge and sleuth hat 🕵️‍♂️ LOL! But seriously, I suppose it can’t hurt to ask. I know King Records has been releasing SACDs for sometime now. Have they remastered any old Quad recordings and released them on SACDs or other formats?

WOW! All that valuable info and tips on searching for Quad LPs is much appreciated. 😍😍 Knowing the various names of record labels and formats will be a big help. King Records has an office near my house. I wonder if any old-timers from the Quad era still work there. 😉

Thanks again! 🤗✨

Brett

Good plan , Brett .

I myself would be curious as to know if any CD 's with the respective Japanese encoded quad matrix are intact , and are available. Many of their quad matrix albums were "single inventory" , (initially).
BTW King Records were one of the larger quad record promotors In Japan . Plenty of their records from the 70's were "RM" encoded , so they were one of the "Biggies" .

Most of these Matrix Encoded Japanese labels had artists from North American and European Countries as well as Asian.

I have some listings As of 1975 , and of course they continued in quad releases for a few more years yet . Some that had a good number of quad recordings ;
Such as King with 80 quad records , Teichiku with 50 + , Toho with 70 + , Toshiba with 70 + , and Crown with 30 +.
*Sony with maybe 100 + , (probably 200 + with CBS).
These would be the big ones I think .

(* with Sony I'm taking an educated guess as I don't have their SQ listings .)

It's Worth noting that Crown Records (as at 1975) had 3 or 4 quad records from Sam Taylor the U.S Bluesman and one by Xavier Cugat . These are exclusives and highly collectable Imho.

Now its important also to know that those other Japanese labels have their exclusive and highly collectable quads as well .

Anyways enjoy your sleuthing . 👀🥢🏯

If Sony does have any SQ-encoded CD's, they wouldn't be able to say so. They no longer own the rights to SQ. Besides, they're busy putting out hybrid SACD's. As for the other labels in Japan, if any do have any QS or RM encoded CD's out there, I'd love to see a list of those titles.

And yet on a variety of Sony cd's the SQ emblem is quite prevalent , and likewise and more importantly so do ALL of the latest Sony multichannel quad SACD'S.
So you see , forgive me but I find your statement rather puzzling .:)unsure: )

Fwiw , Sony doesn't seem to have any difficulty with SQ reissues . Both cd and SACD.

The last known SQ encoded recording was back in approximately 1985 with the Buddy Rich-King St. set , also the last known SQ decoders were released by Aphex in 85, 86 , and I believe 87.

Personally , I think it's now in the public domain and if not , well then WHO do you think owns the rights to use both the SQ encode and the SQ matrix emblems ??

:love:
As to seeing a complete list of Sony SQ titles , on cd , I too would love to see that quad listing as I'm sure most of us on QQ would concur .

That's a fine question , Adam. But me thinks if anything they would be in the King "RM" encode.
Unless they went ahead and used the Discrete masters(Japanese copies) and did some up in DVDA or SACD .
Might be worthwhile to find that out ?
I envy you Lute, for the sleuth ,..... i'm just :smokingreen with envy , and who wouldn't like to be where you are in "the land of the rising quads" .🦖🌋

Back