What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool Introduction to SQ Matrix vinyl recordings on Columbia and their associated labels , Mike .

One thing though , the Mike Oldfield is also a Columbia/Virgin album thus the identical CBS quadraphonic indication.

I have a listing from Virgin Records UK , and apparently that same album was released on Virgin UK records.

But I have yet to see someone with the Virgin UK SQ vinyl . I have a copy of the Virgin QS UK , though.

Anyway I wonder if anyone on QQ has that elusive SQ UK version ?
Att...a copy of the letter listing Virgin UK Quadrophonic albums as at 1977.

Attachments

• 16577649327244373066516573829526.jpg
    16577649327244373066516573829526.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 0
Cool Introduction to SQ Matrix vinyl recordings on Columbia and their associated labels , Mike .

One thing though , the Mike Oldfield is also a Columbia/Virgin album thus the identical CBS quadraphonic indication.

I have a listing from Virgin Records UK , and apparently that same album was released on Virgin UK records.

But I have yet to see someone with the Virgin UK SQ vinyl . I have a copy of the Virgin QS UK , though.

Anyway I wonder if anyone on QQ has that elusive SQ UK version ?
Att...a copy of the letter listing Virgin UK Quadrophonic albums as at 1977.
My Ommadawn copy is SQ but was in the Boxed set. I only ever saw the 'stand-alone' SQ Ommadawn in the record shops, never saw a QS version.

Duncan,

I thought the QS version was more common ...as i've yet to see a separate SQ Ommadawn, on Virgin UK.
So you only ever saw the SQ version? And that would be on Virgin UK and not CBS ?

Too bad I never saw one ,....and I as well had the SQ Box vinyl set. No mistaking that one ,4 SQ albums.

BTW--The only quad album missing on that Virgin Records listing is the Mike Oldfield- Exposed (SQ).

Anyway a pic of the QS album.
VVV
16578220382593906625215224712643.jpg
20220714_130934.jpg

Duncan,

I thought the QS version was more common ...as i've yet to see a separate SQ Ommadawn, on Virgin UK.
So you only ever saw the SQ version? And that would be on Virgin UK and not CBS ?

Too bad I never saw one ,....and I as well had the SQ Box vinyl set. No mistaking that one ,4 SQ albums.

BTW--The only quad album missing on that Virgin Records listing is the Mike Oldfield- Exposed (SQ).

VVVView attachment 81241View attachment 81243
I believe it's this one fizzy?
*PS- someone should update that discogs page, in the notes section, that it is SQ...
*PPS- @fredblue :whistle::ROFLMAO:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1667251-Mike-Oldfield-Ommadawn

Last edited:
Duncan,

VVVView attachment 81241View attachment 81243
The ones I saw (UK) had a sticker on, you have made me wonder did I read it correctly!

No folks , that would be the CBS/Virgin SQ release. Most likely imported from the U.S.

If you read that Virgin Records response letter it clearly states Ommadawn was released on "their own" label
in SQ.

So my question still stands : Did anyone in the UK ever come across the SQ copy of Ommadawn on Virgin Records?
Or was there never one solely on Virgin Records ?

BTW I myself had the SQ CBS/Virgin album of Ommadawn myself , the U.S copy .

Last edited:
I never owned it, but heard it (Ommadawn LP days) at a friends house , through a JBL system which I bi-amped for him. It sounded very good (it was stereo).
Accordingly I have been looking for it on CD and matrix multichannel but haven't found it yet. Likewise Tubular Bells which I have gotten on CD.

I never owned it, but heard it (Ommadawn LP days) at a friends house , through a JBL system which I bi-amped for him. It sounded very good (it was stereo).
Accordingly I have been looking for it on CD and matrix multichannel but haven't found it yet. Likewise Tubular Bells which I have gotten on CD.

Yeah, I guess the big question would be if you got a UK CD copy would it be in :

SQ ?

QS?

or Stereo?

No folks , that would be the CBS/Virgin SQ release. Most likely imported from the U.S.

If you read that Virgin Records response letter it clearly states Ommadawn was released on "their own" label
in SQ.

So my question still stands : Did anyone in the UK ever come across the SQ copy of Ommadawn on Virgin Records?
Or was there never one solely on Virgin Records ?

BTW I myself had the SQ CBS/Virgin album of Ommadawn myself , the U.S copy .
Ohhh nooo 🤦‍♂️; guess there's no confusing me with @steelydave :ROFLMAO:... another 😖 fizzy-farttle question snarl-up!

Look for the CD version of Boxed on Discogs, its all in SQ

@edisonbaggins , Mike

FWIW there are a few "Single Inventory " recordings offered by Virgin Records(UK) such as :

Mike Oldfield- Exposed (CD as well) in SQ
David Bedford -Instructions For Angel's (matrix H CD as well)
Kevin Coyne -In Living Black And White (CD as well) in SQ

And Mike Oldfield- Boxed in SQ ,CD as well , but you have this one.

Now of course..with your recent Big Score of a Quadraphile's Collection , you may already have all of these.

But I thought I'd let you know anyways.

-Fizzy ,farting about :)

@edisonbaggins , Mike

FWIW there are a few "Single Inventory " recordings offered by Virgin Records(UK) such as :

Mike Oldfield- Exposed (CD as well) in SQ
David Bedford -Instructions For Angel's (matrix H CD as well)
Kevin Coyne -In Living Black And White (CD as well) in SQ

And Mike Oldfield- Boxed in SQ ,CD as well , but you have this one.

Now of course..with your recent Big Score of a Quadraphile's Collection , you may already have all of these.

But I thought I'd let you know anyways.

-Fizzy ,farting about :)
The price for the Kevin Coyne on CD or LP is quite high on Discogs (well with the P&P!), I wish the album Majory Razorblade was in Quad, hooked on it since hearing the single on the radio (late night!) and then getting a Virgin Sampler cassette with it on it.

Back