What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Dunc, I did the same thoughts, I’d find a cheap one to try, but those prices put the Kibosh on that idea.
I’m thinking Fizzy may be wondering if it’s a single inventory Phantom Quad!

No if anything, it was dual inventory.....but it could be a one off. By that I mean similar to Harvest's attempts with both ELO vinyls .
The picture on the Sampler shows a stereo copy , I think.
This could be an album mixed in quad , even encoded , but never released.
Thus my comparison to the 2 first ELO albums .(circa 1973)

Now that being said, it's up for speculation. Why ? Because discogs doesn't have all the releases that were quad....but most , as they rely on public reporting And no one has them all. I'd hazard a guess they don't have everything on the Quadraphonic Discography .

Unique seating arrangement!

Out of curiosity I went looking for the Round House album and found Round House - Down To Earth (at high prices!) it has the same Order code as on your LP, but with a D not a Q at the end (no mention of Quad), so I wonder was the Quad ever released?
View attachment 84532 View attachment 84533

Yes Duncan, the first place I went for my discovery was discogs. But I was not surprised to find anything other than what you found.

1973 is the year that EMI/Harvest commenced releasing SQ encoded (and Q8'S). I read some years back ...Harvest UK was the label with the most interest in the new quadraphonic formats in Europe.

No if anything, it was dual inventory.....but it could be a one off. By that I mean similar to Harvest's attempts with both ELO vinyls .
The picture on the Sampler shows a stereo copy , I think.
This could be an album mixed in quad , even encoded , but never released.
Thus my comparison to the 2 first ELO albums .(circa 1973)

Now that being said, it's up for speculation. Why ? Because discogs doesn't have all the releases that were quad....but most , as they rely on public reporting And no one has them all. I'd hazard a guess they don't have everything on the Quadraphonic Discography .
Party pooper! :D

Just bought this
The Quark encode sounds fantastic on SSM in 4.0

Have just bought that as well in ambisonic B-Format (spherical and planar surround, AmbiX .wav files), so not matrixed to 2 channel UHJ, plus the UHJ version that I will listen to later.

My DSP decodes UHJ and B-Format horizontal (3 channels, WXY) and I use 6 loudspeakers. For the B-Format I love the solidity and stability of the imaging in Anchored Transients, giving a sense of really being in the middle of the performance. Quite disconcerting and fun.

The O'Jays Message In The Music SQ
20221020_123628.jpg

Can't wait to play this with the S&IC and two Wurlys going! TT is still put away temporarily :(

The O'Jays Message In The Music SQ
View attachment 84652
Can't wait to play this with the S&IC and two Wurlys going! TT is still put away temporarily :(
oh i know you're gonna love it!! ❤️

an absolutely superb mix by PIR's main Quad man, Arthur Stoppe.

easily one of the most accomplished, subtly deft and modern-sounding Quads i've ever heard, its up there with the best 5.1's from the likes of Mr. Scheiner, SW, etc.

its not flashy or showy, there's no extraneous panning, just top tier lovely Surround Music that immerses and engages and envelopes in all the beautiful ways you can imagine.

I think they did the letter in stereo albums' sleeves as a promotional stunt. Wish I could have found one though. Lucky finds if you get one with that letter.🍀
Personally I never found any , myself...the closest I came was when I discovered the RVG SQ stamped on the CTI and KUDU albums. A dead giveaway on them was that there was also the RVG SQ on the vinyl paper labels.
My copy of "Candide", on LP, was a stealth quad. No mention of it on the cover, but the gold label on the record was the giveaway...along with this same letter. It sounds excellent through the Surround Master.

How's the mix on this one?
sorry i can't remember Mister P, its one i haven't played for yonks. i'll give it a go in a bit 😋

edit: recording it in for you now, its certainly no Surround showcase or indeed sound quality demonstration material, the Quad mix feels virtually non-existent and each side of vinyl is over 25 minutes long (!) so its cut at low volume.. there's hardly any bass at all 🤯 and the LP was cut with so little run-in groove my SL-7 cuts the very beginning of the music off, the cute little linear tracking wee devil! 😈🤦‍♀️😅😂

edit 2: i take it back, the mix is ok, i'm just sure if it was discrete it would be more focussed and have less of that nebulous all over the place feeling! its quite good fun musically but really not Don's finest mixing moment 👍

Last edited:
the LP was cut with so little run-in groove my SL-7 cuts the very beginning of the music off, the cute little linear tracking wee devil! 😈🤦‍♀️😅😂
Looks like there were quite a few releases of this title in Quad, maybe a different one than you have would have better run-ins?

Do you know what exact release you have Freddie?

Looks like there were quite a few releases of this title in Quad, maybe a different one than you have would have better run-ins?

Do you know what exact release you have Freddie?
this one, with Green labels on the disc! 😅

https://www.discogs.com/release/6590611-Preservation-Hall-Jazz-Band-New-Orleans-Vol-1
edit: i should add, if i play it on my SL1210 i can just manually cue the disc up and its not a problem.
the issue arises from using the fancy shmancy all-singing all-dancing fully automatic SL-7 😅

Last edited:
Ohhh, I see, you went with the "Carrollton" pressing, should have gone

with the Santa Maria View attachment 85086

-just kidding :LOL:

Probably little bass because there is no bass in the band, just a lightly recorded drummer perhaps and Tuba (sort of a Jazz band Bass substitute.)

And, is this one of those single inventory jobs, there was a CD of it???
the good, the bad and the tuba! 😂

idk if it was ever released on CD but afaik it was single inventory so the iTunes/Apple Music version could well be the SQ-encoded Quad

Don't actually have this in hand yet, but coming.

Saw a good price on one and couldn't resist.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6128115-Sam-Taylor-虹をわたって-Niji-O-Watatte
Google translation of the discogs' title is 'Across the rainbow', @Mark Anderson I noticed you have it in your database as 'Sam The ManTaylor', so is the discogs title incorrect (I do see the English title on the cover?) :unsure:

and has anyone heard this one?

Cool find 😉
Believe it or not ,"Sam The Man"..Taylor , has 3 quad albums on Crown Records .
BBQ has one so maybe he can comment ? Lucky find though, 🚸 pupsi , Hope you didn't have to pay too much.

And Now... I'm wondering if any made it to CD ?

Back