What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THREE HUNDRED SQ !!!!!!!

CONGRATS, F.B.(y):D

300 is something to boast about . 300 SQ LPS. :smokin

I was lurking over at SH Forum the other day and I saw this post...a poster kept asking different members about a title...nobody answered so the poster says "I will ask Fredblue...he has everything"..it's hard to argue that...the legend continues to grow..beyond these forum walls(y)

Introspection 2 - Thijs Van Leer (Dutch SQ LP)

my 300th SQ LP! (yeay!) :party

W1XbYVE.jpeg

sUUeGE0.jpeg

QISWQ6Y.jpeg

1irqBPA.jpeg

300:worthy

I've got Permissive Polyphonics in CD-4 and EV. I think the QS/RM version was Japan only, Mark Anderson's Surround Discography shows King 4R-4 as the catalog #. No SQ version but a bunch of tracks made it to the SQ Popular Science LP, including the crazy (but admittedly rather catchy) synth-laden cover of "Marrakesh Express".

I think the EV version is actually a different mix though- the synth flying around in the beginning of "Marrakesh" seems to decode differently than the SQ or CD-4. I also wonder if the QS is really a different encode/mix and not just the EV repackaged.

I just ordered a copy of the QS Popular Science LP, so ideally I'd like to compare the QS encode of that track from the Japan LP to the Popular Science QS, and compare both with the EV to get the full story.

Confused yet? :mad:@:
The mix of "Marrakesh Express" is the same on the QS and EV versions. It's different from the mix used on the Popular Science QS test disc, which is actually the same as the CD-4 version and the discrete tape.

The mix of "Marrakesh Express" is the same on the QS and EV versions. It's different from the mix used on the Popular Science QS test disc, which is actually the same as the CD-4 version and the discrete tape.

Wow- thanks for the info. So that would imply that the Japanese RM/QS version (king 4R-4) is actually identical to the US EV disc.

Still waiting for the PR 401 QS LP...

it does depend on how the different releases are decoded. decoded wrongly would not prove anything

So what your implying is that they used a different "discrete " source for the test disc. Interesting.

So what your implying is that they used a different "discrete " source for the test disc. Interesting.

As we all know, Project 3 experimented with most of the quad vinyl systems before settling on SQ at the end. However, their earliest releases such as Permissive Polyphonics and Spanish Strings, were released as EV encodes rather than QS or SQ. It seems that in the case of Permissive Polyphonics they actually mixed the early version differently to take advantage of the EV matrix and then remixed it for both the Popular Science Test LP and future editions in different quad vinyl formats.

So two mixes of "Marrakesh"- one on the EV LP of Permissive, the other on the test disc and all other versions of permissive. There is no discrete version of the EV mix available.

"Marrakesh Express" appears on quite a few Project 3 discs.

Off the top of my head it's on:
- Popular Science Test Disc- SQ/QS/CD-4/Q8/QR
- 4 Channel Stereo Sampler- SQ
- Permissive Polyphonics- EV/CD-4/Q8/QR

Thanks to this generous Youtube user, people with even the most basic matrix encoders can experience it. He did the rest of the album as well. Sounds great through DTS Neural in my car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYK7hWVMe4

As we all know, Project 3 experimented with most of the quad vinyl systems before settling on SQ at the end. However, their earliest releases such as Permissive Polyphonics and Spanish Strings, were released as EV encodes rather than QS or SQ. It seems that in the case of Permissive Polyphonics they actually mixed the early version differently to take advantage of the EV matrix and then remixed it for both the Popular Science Test LP and future editions in different quad vinyl formats.

So two mixes of "Marrakesh"- one on the EV LP of Permissive, the other on the test disc and all other versions of permissive. There is no discrete version of the EV mix available.

"Marrakesh Express" appears on quite a few Project 3 discs.

Off the top of my head it's on:
- Popular Science Test Disc- SQ/QS/CD-4/Q8/QR
- 4 Channel Stereo Sampler- SQ
- Permissive Polyphonics- EV/CD-4/Q8/QR

Thanks to this generous Youtube user, people with even the most basic matrix encoders can experience it. He did the rest o
f the album as well. Sounds great through DTS Neural in my car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYK7hWVMe4

Still not certain why your unconvinced I have both a QS and EV-4 copy as my post #2414 indicates ??

And for added information ....it's also listed on QQ'S (Jon's ) label page.

Still not certain why your unconvinced I have both a QS and EV-4 copy as my post #2414 indicates ??

Somehow I totally missed your post...my apologies. So there really is a QS version. I suppose the fun thing about this hobby is that just when you think you've got it all figured out, there's some other release hiding out there.

That Mark Anderson site is basically my bible for quad collecting- I suppose you know you've got something pretty rare if it's not on there.

Thanks for the pic- cool sticker on the front. Now I must seek one out...

And I have to say I'm loving this extended discussion on Project 3- figured I was the only nut trying to collect all the LPs in all the formats.

i'm uncertain how you know you have different versions of this lp. are they actually marked qs and ev?

I've Just taken delivery of this sealed box set from Germany....

115.JPG

These European releases often seemed to suffer from something of an identity crisis. This one doesn't really seem to know if it wants to be on the Erato, HMV, EMI, or the Electrola label!

116.JPG

117.JPG

Last edited:
I’d never heard of Golden Crest records but this looked like fun and was relatively cheap for a still sealed disc so after a quick flight across the Atlantic it’s now on my pile. I notice that they adopted the spelling of quadrOphonic rather than quadrAphonic - something that always rather annoyed me for some reason!

P1010120.jpg

Hi. All

One more to the pile another matrix LP.

( CBS. SQ S0C0 145 -Mahler Leonard Bernstein Janet Baker Kindertotenlieder )-

View attachment 32449View attachment 32450

Nice. I'm familiar with the Sony Classics (Japan) 2007 reissues of Bernstein's Mahler symphonies on SACD. In my faulty memory, they were all synthesized surround from 3-channel masters. I'd forgotten that the last two (this and Das Lied von der Erde, also with the Israel Philharmonic), had actually been done in quad.

Back