What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really interesting, thanks. I never did see any available for sale. Did they actually work , i.e. decode in a stable fashion?

I just remembered a few more matrix encoded cassettes that were made available.

There were a large number on the "Sure "label all SQ encoded . (mostly Philidelphia mummers ) Quad Incorporated Discography has the complete listing . ...as likely does Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography

And my Columbia records 76 catalog supplied to me courtesy Joe Dash at Columbia's quad promo division,

Listed one Stan Kenton on the Creative World label and one on the Doric label . (there were likely others on those 2 quad single inventory labels )

Also I believe Project 3 ventured down that highway but titled their tapes as being "wraparound " sound .

Four European QS Quad Clasical record labels were Tudor (Germany) and Nimbus (Gt Britian.) and Decca (France) and Barclay (France).
Also Pick (Switzerland)

Thanks Fizzy, funnily enough I stumbled across a couple of Tudor titles a week or so ago and so I've got a copy of Kempe's Bruckner 8 in the post somewhere! I'd never heard of Pick though - I'll check them out. Cheers.

Thanks Fizzy, funnily enough I stumbled across a couple of Tudor titles a week or so ago and so I've got a copy of Kempe's Bruckner 8 in the post somewhere! I'd never heard of Pick though - I'll check them out. Cheers.

I'll see what info on those Swiss QS Classical albums I can dig up.

Also .......Pye (Gt Britian ) had a VERY large number of QS albums , Classical, in their catalog of quads.
Sheesh ! Don't know how I could forget them ?
(Oh and lots were indicated as QS encoded cassettes , as well )

Hi Fizzy, the Tudor LP set turned up today!
I was pleased that the box (although out of its shrink wrap) was absolutely as new. The discs appear to be perfect too.

P1010567.JPG

P1010570.JPG

As a relatively small Swiss label I thought these discs might have actually been pressed in Germany, but no, they were home grown:

P1010571.JPG

There also seems to have been some tie up with another small Swiss label, “Ex Libris” as they are referenced as publishers on the back of the booklet. From what I can gather Ex Libris was owned by a Swiss supermarket chain and released LP’s as part of a record club and not on general sale. The extent of the relationship with Tudor is unclear to me.

P1010572.JPG

I’m keen to listen to this particular recording as I’ve never heard any performance of Bruckner by Kempe (who died too young, underrated and arguably overshadowed by Karajan) – the fact that this is in quad is a real bonus!

Last edited:
Hi Fizzy, the Tudor LP set turned up today!
I was pleased that the box (although out of its shrink wrap) was absolutely as new. The discs appear to be perfect too.

View attachment 36616

View attachment 36617

As a relatively small Swiss label I thought these discs might have actually been pressed in Germany, but no, they were home grown:

View attachment 36618

There also seems to have been some tie up with another small Swiss label, “Ex Libris” as they are referenced as publishers on the back of the booklet. From what I can gather Ex Libris was owned by a Swiss supermarket chain and released LP’s as part of a record club and not on general sale. The extent of the relationship with Tudor is unclear to me.

View attachment 36619

I’m keen to listen to this particular recording as I’ve never heard any performance of Bruckner by Kempe (who died too young, underrated and arguably overshadowed by Karajan) – the fact that this is in quad is a real bonus!

Yes "Ex Librus " is the indicator on the Swiss albums from PhonagAg .
Don't have any of the Swiss Pick albums listing but here's some info from Sansui on those Ex Librus/Phonag ones.

Was always under the impression "Tudor " was a German label , learning something new every day.

Also PYE GT Britian had many QS Classical releases under 4 sub labels (could be a few others) ....Nixa
, Pye Collectors , Marble Arch , and one other Virtuoso . Not all but most Pye quad discs are identified as the "4D Series "
And many were also available and pressed in Canada , Australia , New Zealand , etc .

Big names in Pye Classical include Leopold Stockowski whom had at least 2 albums in QS on the Pye Nixa label.

20181115_174138.jpg
20181115_174207.jpg
20181115_174212.jpg
20181115_174407.jpg

Last edited:
Yes "Ex Librus " is the indicator on the Swiss albums from PhonagAg .
Don't have any of the Swiss Pick albums listing but here's some info from Sansui on those Ex Librus/Phonag ones.

Was always under the impression "Tudor " was a German label , learning something new every day.

Also PYE GT Britian had many QS Classical releases under 4 sub labels (could be a few others) ....Nixa
, Pye Collectors , Marble Arch , and one other Virtuoso . Not all but most Pye quad discs are identified as the "4D Series "
And many were also available and pressed in Canada , Australia , New Zealand , etc .

Big names in Pye Classical include Leopold Stockowski whom had at least 2 albums in QS on the Pye Nixa label.

View attachment 36645View attachment 36646View attachment 36647View attachment 36648

Thanks Fizzy. That’s fascinating. Looks as though the Swiss record industry was much more complicated than I’d imagined (not that I’d ever really given it much thought until now!). I’d certainly never heard of Phonag AG before and in a quick search I can’t find any of those tittles mentioned in the article available anywhere. This is obviously an area I need to look into further.

PYE is an odd one. You’d think that the UK would be awash with its records, but that isn’t the case. Originally a UK manufacturer of radio and televisions, rather at the budget end of the market, its later audio products and records never had much of a hi-fi reputation frankly. So I don’t think its output was ever very collectable. The only PYE quad titles I ever seem to come across in my travels are the same handful of things like TV theme compilations, Acker Bilk’s greatest hits, brass band concerts or recordings of military tattoos and one Stokowski compilation. I’ve had a look on Discogs and there are only about half a dozen PYE quad classical titles on sale there. I think the rest must have ended up in the great charity shop in the sky!

A remarkable recording of a couple of Mozart Piano Concertos by a true master of the art, Geza Anda, on the Eurodisc label arrived today:

GAM1.JPG

Not that you would have known it was quad until you’d got to the disc itself:

GAM2.jpg

The rear cover photo is thankfully not the sort of image you’d see today, and is particularly poignant if you know what was to befall maestro Anda shortly thereafter:

GAM3.JPG

A remarkable recording of a couple of Mozart Piano Concertos by a true master of the art, Geza Anda, on the Eurodisc label arrived today:

View attachment 36687

Not that you would have known it was quad until you’d got to the disc itself:

View attachment 36688

The rear cover photo is thankfully not the sort of image you’d see today, and is particularly poignant if you know what was to befall maestro Anda shortly thereafter:

View attachment 36689

Back in the late 70's I used to see a lot of quads on Eurodisc . I notice that unique Eurodisc quad label is mising on the album cover.
Also the same store that carried the Eurodisc quads had plenty of harmonia mundi quads (I think fr 3 different countries . italy , france and germany if I remember correctly)

In the early 80's I believe Eurodisc was one of the few labels to release quad cd's , kinda a rarity at the time and still is today.

No particular logic behind this group of purchases, other than the fact that they’re all pieces of music I’m particularly fond of and hadn’t got in quad:

K466.JPG

HH.JPG

ZB1.JPG

CMGB2.JPG

Whilst that Carlo Maria Giulini Bruckner 2 is very easy to find, I had put off buying his performance of No.9 as it often goes for quite large sums of money in decent condition, I’ve no idea why since it also seems to be very common:

CMGB9.JPG

This recording of Glazunov’s The Seasons frequently goes for even more (again it’s not rare, so I’m really not sure why):

GS.jpg

but this week I paid what I consider to be 'sensible' prices for both of them in near mint condition, so I’m happy to have them in the collection now!

View attachment 36655View attachment 36656View attachment 36657

Bit of an odd one, Canadian-only release. Really wacky content and mix- holds up nicely against the Q8. Love the proud proclamation of quad on the cover.

I have this album and was not aware that it was exclusive to the Canadian market . Kinda thought it was also available in British Commonweath Countries , but a quick check says otherwise.
There are 2 other quad albums by Mandingo and they were made in Britain , Australia and New Zealand and maybe one of them was also made in Canada , but I'm not 100% on that.

I wonder if any of the Q8 collectors are aware that it was a Canadian exclusive and for that matter if any have or have seen the Q8'S of the 2 Eric Clapton's on Polydor Canada .
It was weird seeing them alongside Polydors of BTO, Ohio Players , James Last ,and Roberto Delgado ......most especially since his CD-4 album counterparts were being distributed by Atlantic Records Canada imported in from Warner Bros /Atlantic U.S.A . Almost all of the WEA USA Q8'S and CD-4 were imported here , so it made those 2 Q8'S of Clapton's especially strange.

A particularly dark and gloomy November day here in S.E. England brightened considerably by the arrival of this early version of Beethoven’s joyous Fidelio in it’s Lenore incarnation in living SQ! The box is still (well, just about) in its cellophane wrapper and bears a “Goldspinners” price label for £15.95. I’d never heard of them, and the only thing Google reveals is that “Goldspinners was a Cheshire-based record wholesale company” – but the price label implies they must have had a retail outlet. Whoever they were, they must have long since ‘gone the way of all flesh’ - like almost every other record shop from that era.

BL1.JPG

I don't think there was a quad recording of Fidelio itself - unless someone knows differently?

Last edited:
A particularly dark and gloomy November day here in S.E. England brightened considerably by the arrival of this early version of Beethoven’s joyous Fidelio in it’s Lenore incarnation in living SQ! The box is still (well, just about) in its cellophane wrapper and bears a “Goldspinners” price label for £15.99. I’d never heard of them, and the only thing Google reveals is that “Goldspinners was a Cheshire-based record wholesale company” – but the price label implies they must have had a retail outlet. Whoever they were, they must have long since ‘gone the way of all flesh’ - like almost every other record shop from that era.

View attachment 36776

I don't think there was a quad recording of Fidelio itself - unless someone knows differently?

..and people think music is expensive nowadays! :ROFLMAO:
i bet that same £15 quid with adjustments/inflation etc buys you the best part of a big old boxset today! it'd potentially still only amount to one new surround album but.. :giggle:

..and people think music is expensive nowadays! :ROFLMAO:
i bet that same £15 quid with adjustments/inflation etc buys you the best part of a big old boxset today! it'd potentially still only amount to one new surround album but.. :giggle:

Yes Fred, the same thought occurred to me. Some kids today seem to think they have a right to music for free (!) I looked at an on-line price inflation calculator and it reckoned that £15.95 in 1977 would be the equivalent of £96.25 today!

Last edited:
Yes Fred, the same thought occurred to me. Some kids today seem to think they have a right to music for free (!) I looked at an on-line price inflation calculator and it reckoned that £15.99 in 1977 would be the equivalent of £96.25 today!

Well.. most music being made nowadays is total trash (so yeah they can have THAT for free!!) and a lot of young 'uns in here actually prefer music from the 70's and 80's... of course there are a few exceptions...

Back