What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Fisher Test & Performance Standard (CD-4 Side 1, SQ Side 2)

2408CC6C-789E-491D-979C-7A7152F89C21.jpeg

63C2DA66-9530-4DA1-95DE-2F6FD78F22C6.jpeg

7B55636B-9446-4C8A-A962-6012DB01655E.jpeg

C11830BA-A628-49D2-993E-FA8BFEA7A287.jpeg

Nice RVG recording, how is the LP's condition, mix and overall sound Freddie?

hi Puppy Pupster! :hi🤗
not got round to trying it thru the Surround Master Vn.1 yet 🐢
will let you know as soon as it gets to the top of the pile!
(tbh i'm hoping DV have done an SACD of it by then..!) 💫 ✨🌈

Charlie Rich. Behind Closed Doors SQ lp

I realize this is likely coming out soon on a 2fer by DV but for $4 I couldn't resist.
I like it much more than the other quad Charlie Rich I have which appeared on a recent DV sacd and I passed on. There was another Rich quad at the store I left it'll probably show up with this one on a future 2fer. He sure had a good voice.

Incidently my buddy tells me one of the last Rich albums was a jazz fusion treatment of standards in a completely different style for him.

Two more classical albums with mixed-up packaging and/or labeling.

A Candide release that states QS on the record label (as I'd expect), but erroneously states SQ in the back cover. And uses matrix description wording that I'm not sure if it's is usual for Candide. It isn't usual for Turnabout/Vox.

SQ or QS (typo).jpg

And a Nimbus (my first) that got me all excited when I found it because the cover states QS and talks about QS, I thought one of their early surround discs. But, the record label states UHJ. When the album was packaged it was either mis-packaged, or it might have been at the point that Nimbus was switching over to Ambisonics, and was just using up the last of their QS cover inventory.

QS or UHJ (mis-packaged).jpg

Last edited:
Two more classical albums with mixed-up packaging and/or labeling.

A Candide release that states QS on the record label (as I'd expect), but erroneously states SQ in the back cover. And uses matrix description wording that I'm not sure if it's is usual for Candide. It isn't usual for Turnabout/Vox.

View attachment 41913

And a Nimbus (my first) that got me all excited when I found it because the cover states QS and talks about QS, I thought one of their early surround discs. But, the record label states UHJ. When the album was packaged it was either mis-packaged, or it might have been at the point that Nimbus was switching over to Ambisonics, and was just using up the last of their QS cover inventory.

View attachment 41914
That Candide quad may not be in error. It may very well be SQ encoded. The Vox/Turnabout/Candide group mostly released QS classical music albums. There were one or two exceptions. Back in the late '70s- early '80s I picked up (I think a Candide) album with SQ credits on the back cover AND on the record label. And to me, the concert hall ambience sounded better in SQ! It may be this one with a corrected album cover. There was another album too but I never spotted it in the store. And for the life of me I can't remember the artist/conductor details.

Cor! Blimey!
Good find. Where did you get it from?
I hope you enjoy it. Report back please.

haha!! stone the crows!! oh it was on Discogs! from a wonderful seller in the United States of America!!! 😍
it was about £15 quid and looks to be in nice nick. the seller packed it well and kept the shipping costs low and i mercifully didn't get whammed for customs! its right about now i get hit by a lighting bolt, things are going too well...!! 🤪

haha!! stone the crows!! oh it was on Discogs! from a wonderful seller in the United States of America!!! 😍
it was about £15 quid and looks to be in nice nick. the seller packed it well and kept the shipping costs low and i mercifully didn't get whammed for customs! its right about now i get hit by a lighting bolt, things are going too well...!! 🤪

Well then. I always thought "stone the crows" was an Aussie term:

POGO.jpg

Perhaps they stole it from the Brits.
At any rate, stay away from those lightning bolts!

Back