What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had this EP for a while
I have not seen any other Enoch Light Japanese EPs before

Attachments

• No 2 001.jpg
    No 2 001.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 322
Were the WRC quad titles okay? Just relabelled such as EMI above? I have a vague recollection that I had a couple of Mahler WRC LPs labelled as quad but I don't think that they stated the matrix?
[/QUOTE]

Hi. watsontr
These WRC LP`s were released in Australia and some times do not indicate that they are Quad LP`s but if you have a good photo of the LP cover and shows in small print Q2E6039 you now it is a EMI SQ matrix LP like in the photo you are referring to.
In my observation of listening to EMI classical lps I find you are central back in the horse show shape of the orchestra not at the conductor stand this my own opinion...
BBQ......

Hi. watsontr
These WRC LP`s were released in Australia and some times do not indicate that they are Quad LP`s but if you have a good photo of the LP cover and shows in small print Q2E6039 you now it is a EMI SQ matrix LP like in the photo you are referring to.
In my observation of listening to EMI classical lps I find you are central back in the horse show shape of the orchestra not at the conductor stand this my own opinion...
BBQ......
Thanks for that
Regards
Tom

If they weren't lost in the Universal fire :(

You know........I've been thinking about that very thing, and perhaps and I do mean perhaps..............Ed Michel may have some backup recordings in his stash .
You know , just maybe.

Thinking the same scenario about , Elliot Scheiner as well , as far as Steely Dan and other UMG gems he has created. You just never know , you know ? :)

Found this 1977 Baylor University Wind Ensemble over the weekend was SQ encoded according to the label. I hadn't ever seen a private pressing record in quad before. Haven't cleaned or listened yet, it's just a a wind ensemble but a quad oddity at least.

There are a few Count Buffalo RM type discs fwiw . I suggest checking out the surround discographies Japanese quad titles.

Fwiw Toshiba had it's own matrice with QM .
And yes it is a compatible Regular Matrix that will work with QS decoders.
That's interesting, especially because, in an article I read several years ago on the subject, Toshiba used Sansui encoders on these records, but didn't initially want to pay the royalty fee for the logo.

Interestingly, I have found this Japanese Yahoo Auction for a Diatone (Mitsubishi) 4 channel receiver and QM is listed as SQ, not QS. I wonder if they didn't want to pay royalties to Sony???
1582128790659.png
1582128840300.png

Have you seen any gear that shows separate settings for QM and SQ? I haven't as yet. I usually see big name gear that uses the usual trademarked names of SQ, QS and RM. I do have EV4 and QX decoders too.
QM has nothing to do with SQ. It's essentially RM, aka QS. I have no clue why Mitsubishi did that.

Hi. watsontr
BBQ......
IMG_9394.JPG

Had a quick look through my collection and found a few. As you said, clearly marked as EMI. Obviously though, some WRC issues just use the standard label eg Vanguard

IMG_9395.JPG

I will obviously have to get a turntable happening (need CD-4 too) and maybe a Surroundmaster? I also found this. What is the best way to process the Dolby? It's apparently still sealed with a Sam Goody (?) tag on the cellophane. Thanks Tom
IMG_6184.JPG

View attachment 46433
Had a quick look through my collection and found a few. As you said, clearly marked as EMI. Obviously though, some WRC issues just use the standard label eg Vanguard

View attachment 46435

I will obviously have to get a turntable happening (need CD-4 too) and maybe a Surroundmaster? I also found this. What is the best way to process the Dolby? It's apparently still sealed with a Sam Goody (?) tag on the cellophane. Thanks Tom
View attachment 46436

Hi. watsontr
The Dolby System was used in the recording mixing which stretches the High frequencies of the recording, you do not need to do anything but play the LP as normal...

Hi. watsontr
The Dolby System was used in the recording mixing which stretches the High frequencies of the recording, you do not need to do anything but play the LP as normal...
Cool. I thought it may require a Dolby playback system to hear correctly. Basically being a popular (pop, rock, jazz) music type of guy, I expect the love of the 40th and a lot of other classical music was sparked from the Waldo de los Rios 'hit' from the early 70s and the other artists who popularised the classics on popular releases. Amazing that something as normally dissonant sounding as a 6th in a minor chord starts this wonderful melody

View attachment 46433

View attachment 46435

View attachment 46436
You don't have to process the Dolby. It means that the Dolby A noise reduction system was employed with the master tape. It's already fully processed. All you need, for quad playback, is a QS decoder, or better yet, a Surround Master. The Vox Turnabout records are mixed for ambient surround,

I have that Mozart record on Vox. It is in QS. I had it before Dolby Surround was in use.

The following are Japan's JPRA and EIAJ Matrix Classifications:

RM - Regular Matrix - Equal-separation basic matrix (e.g. QS)
QM - Quadraphonic Matrix - Forward-oriented basic matrix (e.g. EV4, DQ)
PM - Phase Matrix - All SQ-related matrix systems (e.g. SQ, EVU)
CD-4 - Compatible Discrete - CD-4
UX - Uniform Matrix - All UMX-related matrix systems (e.g. BMX, H)

QX and XM are not JPRA or EIAJ standards. They were trademarks of Denon.

JPRA is Japan's equivalent of RIAA.
EIAJ is Japan's equivalent of EIA.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I have found this Japanese Yahoo Auction for a Diatone (Mitsubishi) 4 channel receiver and QM is listed as SQ, not QS. I wonder if they didn't want to pay royalties to Sony???
View attachment 46414View attachment 46415

That position on the control knob is probably similar to the EV Universal decoder, which plays both SQ and EV (= QM) fairly well.

That's interesting, especially because, in an article I read several years ago on the subject, Toshiba used Sansui encoders on these records, but didn't initially want to pay the royalty fee for the logo.

What's interesting is that a number of Japanese Recording Companies had a variety of Matrice indicators all related to RM . (QM, QX , M4 , etc, etc.)
RM encoders could have slight adjustments close enough to Sansui's QS so that compatibility was not a problem and yes royalty fees to one Company could be avoided.

QS is defined as RM by the JPRA and EIAJ . Those agencies are standards agencies defining standards for the country.

Actually, the royalties for all matrix systems eventually went to Peter Scheiber. His patent covered all matrix systems.

If my memory serves me well, I believe Toshiba used QS on later recordings .

I do not have a picture of it but sometime around the release of Sansui 's QSD 2 , they had one that was very similar looking, and was a vario matrix QS unit .

Back