What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks
Is there a SQ marking on the label or jacket or run off matrix number?
Referring to Inti Illimani

I can tell you this QS/RM version blows away the SQ version. I've compared the two with the SMv2, and it's quite apparent.

Never heard DSOTM in QS , but my Fosgate did an excellent job with the British SQ . Great vinyl pressing as well , very clean sounding .
I'm sure the RM would sound very good with a good QS decoder , such as Sansui vario matrix , or Surround Master.

FWIW : Aphex tested the DSOTM stereo cd back in 1985 for it's quad reliability on their latest AVM Decoders which were all SQ. They stated that cd still decoded pretty good, they did not outright state that cd was SQ , just that it decoded well in playback.

Never heard DSOTM in QS , but my Fosgate did an excellent job with the British SQ . Great vinyl pressing as well , very clean sounding .
I'm sure the RM would sound very good with a good QS decoder , such as Sansui vario matrix , or Surround Master.

FWIW : Aphex tested the DSOTM stereo cd back in 1985 for it's quad reliability on their latest AVM Decoders which were all SQ. They stated that cd still decoded pretty good, they did not outright state that cd was SQ , just that it decoded well in playback.

Hi. fizzywiggs

I bought my first copy of DSOTM when it first came out & it was a Australian pressing and I was not happy with the small amount of grove noise but over all it is my fav Quad LP, I put it down to may be it was the last of the batch of the pressing ???? a view years latter I bought a mint British pressing and the grove noise was not there a view clicks here and there but clean sounding.

The RM=QS Japanese copy I bought a couple of months ago was in mint like new condition played through the SM & my Sansui QS-D1000 really popped to me it just stood out more than my Brit SQ pressing this is my findings..
BBQ...

Last edited:
My post above was not so much a contradiction of steelydave's CD-4 assessment as it was an intimation as to why other producers/engineers didn't ask the guys at Reprise how they did it. How they managed full recording level, bass extension, and general excellent fidelity on the "Sundown" album.

I mean, it is easily the equal of the regular two channel version and the equal of almost any regular two channel LP. It is a beautiful production and a joy to listen to.

I know this is a corruption of this thread but such is the offshoot world of forums.

Doug

Hi. fizzywiggs

I bought my first copy of DSOTM when it first came out & it was a Australian pressing and I was not happy with the small amount of grove noise but over all it is my fav Quad LP, I put it down to may be it was the last of the batch of the pressing ???? a view years latter I bought a mint British pressing and the grove noise was not there a view clicks here and there but clean sounding.

The RM=QS Japanese copy I bought a couple of months ago was in mint like new condition played through the SM & my Sansui QS-D1000 really popped to me it just stood out more than my Brit SQ pressing this is my findings..
BBQ...

Your one very fortunate guy , BBQ .

I passed on an opportunity to purchase one of those Sansui D1000 decoders back in the mid eighties . But I did have a well performing Sansui QSD-2 , so that was my excuse .
I'm certain the 1000 works well , though. Plus you also have an Involve decoder.

Now I do have a copy of the discreet quad DSOTM in hirez so that's my comparative .
And one day in the near future I have to plug in my SM Involve decoder for my handful of QS cd's and approx. 100 QS records.

I also have 3 different issues of the 5.1 SACD , Capitol , EMI , and Warner , and of course not one but two copies of the British SQ vinyl .
So right now I'm kinda in overkill with that title ......I must have O.C.D. , well especially for that Floyd album.
But it is in my opinion their best quad and surround album .:)

My personal experience though says QS matrix is slightly better on the discs I can compare with vinyl versions vs discrete . I just don't have DSOTM in RM .

Last edited:
Vanguard 4 Channel Stereo Record RM
20201005_201304.jpg

Haven't played it yet, was really looking for Japan RM pressing of B. Sainte-Marie Illuminations, I've got a sealed Q4 but no player(yet). Another copy of this sampler listed on the bay for slightly less right after I got this one but it doesn't look as nice, my first jauce purchase.

EX-42 V.S. ARP Synthesizer SQ
20201009_121938.jpg

I played whole side of this record on 45 speed without noticing :) good SQ demo.

Luis Alva Peru Instrumental II QS
20201016_125928.jpg

99% sure this is real QS, came all the way from Lima, more easy listening than Peruvian still good.

Antonio Pantoja Alma De Quena CD-4
20201009_121748.jpg

Got this one about a month ago but didn't play it until today, really good quad mix and music(more like what you would expect from the cover photo). This record and the above Vanguard sampler are also both listed for ridiculous prices online like $199(with Obi, of course) but I found both for less than $20 each, I like Obi strips but not that much. Also got sealed Godspell CD-4, did pretty well except the last song on each side(mostly on side 2) still very enjoyable. There is another Dorren CD-4 test record for sale(not sealed though) btw.

Pupster I'm happy you got that Bellissima album cover from Italy. Unfortunately it came with a record that increased the postage costs right?
😲... I guess no cantucci and warm Sake for you!
but si, the shipping was more than the LP (I'm thrilled that such wonderful Quad titles are still within reach in this condition though, as there is zero chance they will see a digital resurrection IMO.) And these Toshiba Q.M.s sound amazing.

I never knew this one existed, but it's on its way to me.
Until I recently saw one on Ebay, I didn't know it existed either. It's not a recording I remember mentally noting from Mark Anderson's discography.
Big band and swing jazz, even though delivered in a musical, in quad, and it's two of the actual Andrews Sisters? I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after listening.

Back