What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

I have been a bit late in showing my new QUAD soft ware, .. family things to do first .. so here they are...
BBQ...

( Atlantic. SQ QL-6061 -The Beat Hammond Organ Best Hits )-
( Odeon. Records QS EOP-80882 -Manuel Sound For Ever Green Standard Composers )-
( Teichiku. QS FX-415 -Screen Music World Thrill & Suspense )-
( Crown. QS GW-7038Q -This Is Your String World )-
( Crown. QS GW-7069Q -Drum Drum Drum )-
( Minoruphone Records. QS R-KC-74 -The Latest Song Korean Season & Hying Windmill )-
( Toto Records. QS AX-2026 -Lastest Song Hit Gaitar Album Vol. 6 )-
( Toto Records. QS AX-4011 -Lastest Song Hit Miracle Sounds Orchestra )-
( EMI. QS 1E 062-04808Q -Ron Goodwin In Concert )-
( Trio. QS QR-24702 -Argentine In New Sounds )-

IMG_20210118_160018.jpg
IMG_20210118_160043.jpg

IMG_20210118_160116.jpg
IMG_20210118_160134.jpg

IMG_20210118_160406.jpg
IMG_20210118_160424.jpg

IMG_20210118_160454.jpg

IMG_20210118_160601.jpg
IMG_20210118_160639.jpg

IMG_20210118_160935.jpg
IMG_20210118_161100.jpg

IMG_20210118_161026.jpg

IMG_20210118_161245.jpg
IMG_20210118_161325.jpg

IMG_20210118_161538.jpg
IMG_20210118_161630.jpg

Hi. All

I have been a bit late in showing my new QUAD soft ware, .. family things to do first .. so here they are...
BBQ...

( Atlantic. SQ QL-6061 -The Beat Hammond Organ Best Hits )-
( Odeon. Records QS EOP-80882 -Manuel Sound For Ever Green Standard Composers )-
( Teichiku. QS FX-415 -Screen Music World Thrill & Suspense )-
( Crown. QS GW-7038Q -This Is Your String World )-
( Crown. QS GW-7069Q -Drum Drum Drum )-
( Minoruphone Records. QS R-KC-74 -The Latest Song Korean Season & Hying Windmill )-
( Toto Records. QS AX-2026 -Lastest Song Hit Gaitar Album Vol. 6 )-
( Toto Records. QS AX-4011 -Lastest Song Hit Miracle Sounds Orchestra )-
( EMI. QS 1E 062-04808Q -Ron Goodwin In Concert )-
( Trio. QS QR-24702 -Argentine In New Sounds )-

View attachment 63120View attachment 63121
View attachment 63122View attachment 63123
View attachment 63124View attachment 63126
View attachment 63127
View attachment 63128View attachment 63129
View attachment 63130View attachment 63131
View attachment 63132
View attachment 63133View attachment 63134
View attachment 63135View attachment 63136
Nice BBQ, when you get a chance, I'd really would like to know how that Thrill & Suspense release sounds (and more importantly, what is 4S System Matrix?)
*edit, found this post...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-pile-sq-qs-rm-ev.14936/page-117#post-353377

i also find it interesting the Ron Goodwin's evidence of yet more EMI Quads that were SQ in UK/US and seemingly RM/QS in Japan! 🤯

also i imagine any Manuel and the Music Of The Mountains would have been SQ in the UK, yet here it is in QS in Japan! 😱

I find it interesting that “Manuel” (Geoff Love) fathered Adrian Love, the loveable and creative radio presenter. He memorably hosted the bi-weekly outrageous and unmissable Capital Radio medical / sexual problem phone-in show featuring the Doctor, the fantastically acerbic Anna Raeburn and a string of wonderfully inventive obscene calls which forced the IBA to introduce a 10s delay in order to edit them out. Sadly lost after a road traffic accident.

Last edited:
i also find it interesting the Ron Goodwin's evidence of yet more EMI Quads that were SQ in UK/US and seemingly RM/QS in Japan! 🤯

also i imagine any Manuel and the Music Of The Mountains would have been SQ in the UK, yet here it is in QS in Japan! 😱
It's too bad Capitol, EMI's American arm, wasn't as gung-ho on quad as in the rest of the world. The only quad records we saw from Capitol, aside from the Angel and Seraphim classical recordings, were samplers. EMI put out a large number of quad LP's in the rest of the world that we never knew existed. Not cool!

I find it interesting that “Manuel” (Geoff Love) fathered Adrian Love, the loveable and creative radio presenter. He memorably hosted the bi-weekly outrageous and unmissable Capital Radio medical / sexual problem phone-in show featuring the Doctor, the fantastically acerbic Anna Raeburn and a string of wonderfully inventive obscene calls which forced the IBA to introduce a 10s delay in order to edit them out. Sadly lost after a road traffic accident.

Anna Raeburn was a customer briefly once and it turned out (unbeknownst to me at the time) that her husband was a friend of the family. what a character she was, rather wonderful i thought.

It's too bad Capitol, EMI's American arm, wasn't as gung-ho on quad as in the rest of the world. The only quad records we saw from Capitol, aside from the Angel and Seraphim classical recordings, were samplers. EMI put out a large number of quad LP's in the rest of the world that we never knew existed. Not cool!
Who can forget those stickers on UK SQ LP's: For people with four 👂 ears.

I bought UK SQ LP's of Machine Head, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Imagine.

Last edited:

maybe part of the reason Capitol didn't do Quad LP releases beyond the samplers was because the mixes they were receiving were deemed unsuitable for the SQ system?
some of them feel like they might not decode all that well if they were SQ encoded..

Capitol didn't get into Q8 until the latter part of 1974, and they were on the fence about LP quad formats even longer - according to Darrell Johnson, who worked at the JVC cutting center, they did top-secret CD-4 test cuts of Dark Side of the Moon that year. They put out a few more Q8's in 1975, and Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle in 1976, but my feeling is that by the beginning of '75 it was clear to the industry that quad would be nothing more than a niche format, so if they did have any thought about getting into quad on LP, it probably began and ended with their handful of Q8 releases not selling very well, having waited way too long.

maybe part of the reason Capitol didn't do Quad LP releases beyond the samplers was because the mixes they were receiving were deemed unsuitable for the SQ system?
some of them feel like they might not decode all that well if they were SQ encoded..
But the releases, everywhere but Japan, were SQ encoded, and I presume they all came from the same mix. So if they were good enough for other countries, why not the USA? Same SQ mixes! Japan was the maverick; they used QS instead.

But the releases, everywhere but Japan, were SQ encoded, and I presume they all came from the same mix. So if they were good enough for other countries, why not the USA? Same SQ mixes! Japan was the maverick; they used QS instead.

true.. i'm thinking things like Band On The Run, Venus & Mars, some of the "are they even real Quad?" Capitol Q8 releases like Glen Campbell's "Reunion".. doubt any of it would have worked well enough in SQ form.. Capitol probably tried some of their earlier mixes out for Quad vinyl and found they'd backed the wrong (SQ) horse!

that said, there were a few interesting releases, a couple of Mandingo's and Sound Hits cover albums which were Capitol label Quads in certain territories and jolly nicely the SQ decoded on them too so i'm probably talking a load of old piffle as usual! 😂

true.. i'm thinking things like Band On The Run, Venus & Mars, some of the "are they even real Quad?" Capitol Q8 releases like Glen Campbell's "Reunion".. doubt any of it would have worked well enough in SQ form.. Capitol probably tried some of their earlier mixes out for Quad vinyl and found they'd backed the wrong (SQ) horse!

that said, there were a few interesting releases, a couple of Mandingo's and Sound Hits cover albums which were Capitol label Quads in certain territories and jolly nicely the SQ decoded on them too so i'm probably talking a load of old piffle as usual! 😂
The Mandingo albums, one of which I have, were released in Canada, but not the US. "Band" and "Venus" were released in SQ in the UK, but only on Q8 here. "Band"' sounds like real quad, but "Venus" sounds a bit odd.

Back