What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy mine from discogs.com, and stick mostly with sealed or Mint, but even then a few show up more like VG. I'd say 80% are what I expect in condition. But I do miss the in person- rummaging through everything in person, as little surprises would pop up 😁
EXACTLY the same for me. The couple of stores near me. When I asked about any quad, I got:
1) "quad? I have no idea. What's that?" and
2) "I think I saw a few mixed in with everything. You'll have to just look through the bins." :cautious:

When I was out on the road for work in the early 2000's, I used to stop at Deaf Ear Records in LaCrosse, WI. The first time, I asked about quad records and was told there was one guy whom they called when they got quads in and he bought all of them.

Not fair.

Doug

When I was out on the road for work in the early 2000's, I used to stop at Deaf Ear Records in LaCrosse, WI. The first time, I asked about quad records and was told there was one guy whom they called when they got quads in and he bought all of them.

Not fair.

Doug

in the late 70's > early 80's when quad was fading but record stores still had pretty good inventory, a friend of mine did the same. He went to each one & said something like make me a deal & I'll buy all of your quad records. It varied but he said he bought most around a few dollars. I was half the age of my friend Dave who made the buys and when he passed in mid 80's I inherited everything his son didn't want concerning records. I have 3 bankers boxes full of quad LP's many CD-4 that are still sealed or mint. I don't play them so much you might expect this is the stuff that didn't sell at the record stores. Samplers, easy listening, mellow rock. Oh, I guess mellow rock is actually pop....

Last edited:

Not fair.

Doug
Ooo, that's 'not fair' for the rest of us record bin diggers. On the other end of the spectrum...

I was in Spin That! in Springfield, Mass for the first or second time and told the owner one of the genres I was after were quads, and while he was sorting through a newly received batch of used records, up popped MFSB Philadelphia Freedom in SQ. He said, I think, 4 or 5 dollars, and I said deal. That's what I call first pickings! He also pulled out a box of near-mint classical quads all from one previous owner which I proceeded to buy out over the course of a few trips.

Having owners pull out a box of quads they keep stashed away can be a mixed situation. Purchase Street Records in Dartmouth, Mass also did the same, but I found the prices were too high for my tastes, for titles I'd rather pay much less for.

Equally surprising, I discovered that Randy's Records in Salt Lake City had a dedicated quad bin when I overheard another customer state they were "going to check the quad bin", though he also mixes them in by artist as well, and mixes them in, in his 2 dollar record sales. I picked up Mike Oldfield Boxed for $8 at one of his sales and then also found it in the regular store for much more. I overheard that he likes to mix some gems into his 2 dollar sales for the serious bin diggers - If you don't throw in the towel early, you never know what you'll find!

S. Golowin Lord Krishna Von Goloka (SQ)
20210617_124032.jpg

Molto costoso

Hi. All

Found this SQ LP on eBay ( Kansas Song For America Quadraphonic Record ) for sale, I have not seen before I would like to have it but too rich for my money... $200.00 us

( Kansas Song For America Quadraphonic Record PZ33385 | eBay )

View attachment 68610View attachment 68611
View attachment 68612
Very strange. Typically, the CBS SQ quads would have the code PZQ, not just PZ. And no quad labeling on the cover.
----update--
I see it's not really quad.
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/notquad.htm

Looks like a photoshop job to me--they took the original label and merged it with the "SQ Quadraphonic" outer rim from another LP.

View attachment 68615 View attachment 68620
I am betting that it's more like they planned a quad release and then didn't bother and they already printed the labels. The outer sleeve doesn't mention quad and the number isn't PZQ

Well, even if it was quad and IF it was released concurrently with the stereo version, by 1975, Columbia wasn't bragging about SQ anymore on album covers.

But yes, I have seen this record on lists of "supposed to be quad but not", even though it has the SQ logo on the label.

Doug

Well, even if it was quad and IF it was released concurrently with the stereo version, by 1975, Columbia wasn't bragging about SQ anymore on album covers.

But yes, I have seen this record on lists of "supposed to be quad but not", even though it has the SQ logo on the label.

Doug
VERY odd that, although the label was printed for SQ that the catalog number doesn't have the typical CBS Q in it. 🤷‍♂️

I think it's more likely that the printer just left the SQ logo block in the printing press after printing the label for some other SQ release, not unlike that Gong Shamal stereo release that has the SQ logo on the label on some releases.

CBS was still doing plenty of quad in 1975 - they continued doing new releases in quad for a further two years after that, and kept most of it in print until 1979 - so it seems like the most likely answer to me. Printing and pressing would be the very last step in the process, I don't think they'd be printing up loads of SQ labels for something on purpose before a quad mix was done.

Interesting info about this Kansas non-quad. I was on my way to check it in Mark Anderson's discography when I hit this thread first. The price is too rich for me as well, but I was going to pass this auction info along just as bigbillquad did.

Doug

Say Doug ,

Other than this Kansas-Song For America album and of course , Gong - Shamal .....
Were there any other albums like this on Columbia/CBS ? Specifically the "supposed to be quad but not" list.

Fizzy, I appropriated this one off of Mark Anderson's site-
*edit, don't know if it's that exact release but apparently one of them is

https://www.discogs.com/Earth-Wind-Fire-Thats-The-Way-Of-The-World/release/1862652

its a later reissue of the Stereo LP of TTWOTW in a facsimile of the old Quad sleeve. i have a copy somewhere.

there were a few other reissues like it where Sony put Stereo discs into repro's of the old Quad artwork, including Johnny Winter's John Dawson Winter III and Harold Melvin's Wake Up Everybody, so you have to watch out for those.

Fizzy, I appropriated this one off of Mark Anderson's site-
*edit, don't know if it's that exact release but apparently one of them is

https://www.discogs.com/Earth-Wind-Fire-Thats-The-Way-Of-The-World/release/1862652

Thanks anyway Pupsi , but those reissues of CBS/Columbia discs I'm well aware of . FWIW all of those have bar codes which are a dead giveaway that they're stereo discs in a quad album cover. Too bad really, one would assume they should be SQ quad as stated on the covers.

I was looking for any others such as those with the SQ Quad trademark in the inner paper circle , primarily similar to those 2 by Kansas and Gong released in 75 thru to 77.

Thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:
Back