What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because all matrix (4-2-4 system) encoded records are in fact stereo (2 channel) records. It also emphasises the fact that they can be played on conventional stereo systems as well.
I totally get it, but did stereo only recordings also prominently also show "Mono" on them? They, too, were able to be played on mono systems. (I really don't know the answer to that....not being a wise ass. 🙂)

I totally get it, but did stereo only recordings also prominently also show "Mono" on them? They, too, were able to be played on mono systems. (I really don't know the answer to that....not being a wise ass. 🙂)

When combining the L & R channels into mono, unless these are entirely in phase across the audio range then some degree of cancellation can happen, leading to audible unevenness and obvious colouration when switching to mono.

In the mid sixties, non-audiophile cartridges in mono players began to be made like stereo cartridges with ceramic elements instead of crystal and the stylus worked on a yoke which had both horizontal and vertical compliance and flexed the two ceramic elements.

This is why record manufacturers began to claim the records could be played on both stereo and mono players. It had nothing to do with the records being made differently than they ever had been because they weren't/aren't.

Doug

Well, the record, itself, can't be both mono and stereo at the same time. It has either a single channel engraved in the master or more than a single channel. Therefore, it would never be labeled both stereo and mono. A quad record, in contrast, IS both stereo and quadraphonic.

Doug

Well, the record, itself, can't be both mono and stereo at the same time. It has either a single channel engraved in the master or more than a single channel. Therefore, it would never be labeled both stereo and mono. A quad record, in contrast, IS both stereo and quadraphonic.

Doug
I have seen the odd 45 that says stereo/mono it.

Because all matrix (4-2-4 system) encoded records are in fact stereo (2 channel) records. It also emphasises the fact that they can be played on conventional stereo systems as well.

Correct , Ken .

Stereo compatibility was a big concern in the 70's by stereo and mono audiophiles. I still believe they had FAR too much say 🗣 in quadraphonic recordings production.

But not this Quadraphile.

Correct , Ken .

Stereo compatibility was a big concern in the 70's by stereo and mono audiophiles. I still believe they had FAR too much say 🗣 in quadraphonic recordings production.

But not this Quadraphile.
I've often found that matrix quad records, played in stereo, often sound better than the corresponding stereo version. In particular, Simon and Garfunkel's BOTW. The stereo version sounds kinda dry; the quad version sounds more spacious and open. I've heard the SQ version, and a QS encoding from the discrete DVD-A. They both sound excellent in stereo.

I've often found that matrix quad records, played in stereo, often sound better than the corresponding stereo version. In particular, Simon and Garfunkel's BOTW. The stereo version sounds kinda dry; the quad version sounds more spacious and open. I've heard the SQ version, and a QS encoding from the discrete DVD-A. They both sound excellent in stereo.

I agree they do indeed.

Ummmmm, what DVD-A ?

Yehudi Menuhin and Stephan Grappelli - Tea For Two
I just purchased this SQ Quadraphonic album in a local brick and mortar used music and HiFi components store. The vinyl record itself is mint. Pressed in the Netherlands on Angel Label
IMG_20211120_124745295.jpg
IMG_20211120_124750153.jpg
IMG_20211120_124804542.jpg
IMG_20211120_124922859.jpg
IMG_20211120_125759913.jpg

That disc says recorded in the Netherlands , and may be a Canadian pressing .
FWIW CAPITOL RECORDS CANADA( EMI) did pressings for Angel Records for sale in Canada. Some were also imported in from the U.S.

Sorry ,just trying to clarify this factoid.

BTW Nice catch . That's one I never bought back in the day ,and now would. Used Record stores are sometimes a treasure trove of 70's quads.

HI. All

I am back I have been blocked from the QQ site for week or so, I could log in but had no means of communicating to anybody it might of been a glitch or not I don`t now. Every time I logged in a message at the top said.

(Attempts to send emails to [email protected] have failed. Please update your email.
Update your contact details)

My email address has been the same since I came a member I have had no trouble with my email up till now?????

I got on to the QQ face book site asked if any member there could get in contact with a Admin here at QQ to fix the problem so it looks like I am back and it`s fixed?????

And yes I have a back log of Quad goodies to show.
And thanks for your concern everybody I am fine still kicking...
BBQ...

Back