What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if this was one of those "on purpose" quad LP in a stereo sleeve guerilla marketing things that Columbia seems to have done a bit of - @fredblue has a couple of these I think, with a letter from the label inserted in the sleeve explaining that the swap was on purpose.
It's my 2nd "slealth SQ" find. I've they used stereo sleeves if Quad sleeves were unavailable.

I wonder if this was one of those "on purpose" quad LP in a stereo sleeve guerilla marketing things that Columbia seems to have done a bit of - @fredblue has a couple of these I think, with a letter from the label inserted in the sleeve explaining that the swap was on purpose.
yes, i've a few of these now, all the same letter, all SQ Quad LPs in Stereo sleeves/jackets 😊

here's one that was inside Charlie McCoy's "Fastest Harp In The South"

9BACFAB6-1786-45C2-94CF-9493807CE7C2.jpeg

D21B65F6-373F-4B65-90FD-1D647BC61DF9.jpeg

It's my 2nd "slealth SQ" find. I've they used stereo sleeves if Quad sleeves were unavailable.
Y'all got my interest up about Columbia stealth quads, so I had to take a look at my Toys in the Attic LP. It proudly proclaims QUADRAPHONIC at the top of the front cover sleeve. So no quirky gem there. On the back cover credits it lists Dr. Demento. Unless I read too fast I can't find anything about this on Wiki. Anyone know what his contribution was?

I'm sure I will need to listen to this again. The SQ Full Logic sound is burned into my brain bone more than playing it through the Tate. I have yet to enjoy it through the Surround Master. I guess I need to. (y)
:)

I think they did the letter in stereo albums' sleeves as a promotional stunt. Wish I could have found one though. Lucky finds if you get one with that letter.🍀
Personally I never found any , myself...the closest I came was when I discovered the RVG SQ stamped on the CTI and KUDU albums. A dead giveaway on them was that there was also the RVG SQ on the vinyl paper labels.

I think they did the letter in stereo albums' sleeves as a promotional stunt. Wish I could have found one though. Lucky finds if you get one with that letter.🍀
Personally I never found any , myself...the closest I came was when I discovered the RVG SQ stamped on the CTI and KUDU albums. A dead giveaway on them was that there was also the RVG SQ on the vinyl paper labels.
Piano Man and Toys in the Attic, for me, so far...

WHY OH WHY did they not go with those SQ letters on hundreds more LP'S 😫, when they finally went Single Inventory with their SQ Quads....back in 77/78 !!!!!
(sorry ,but that just pisses me offf to no end)
i think they printed up and sent out more of those letters than we knew, its just they're not in too many Quaddies' hands even to this day because the letters were inside Stereo jackets and Quad guys both back in the day and also today would be rifling through the racks looking for Quad jackets not Stereo ones!

i mean, when you think about it, i have several of these letters inside Stereo jackets and i was buying these records 40+ years later in a totally different country, so the probability of finding the letters should have been low but in scouring everything to find the Quads even checking what looked like Stereo records from the outside i kept coming across these letters!

Here's one I picked up , SQ Quad Canadian, in a Stereo album sleeve.
Stealth quad ? , naaaaa, I think it's more likely this was placed in a replacement album sleeve .
Now I used to have it some twenty odd years ago , but sold it for reasons unknown .
So now I've replaced it.....

Santana - Santana (III) SQ Canadian pressing.

20220928_190321.jpg
20220928_190502.jpg

Picked up a couple quad albums today.

One in SQ , The EMI/ELECTROLA Grundig Sampler.

What's interesting...is that the Grundig album features a song by the group Roundhouse from their album Down To Earth , and they have a quad album which is not in the Quadraphonic Discography ? So pretty cool find , I think anyway.

20221014_184924.jpg
20221014_184942.jpg
20221014_185017.jpg

Picked up a couple quad albums today.

One in SQ , The EMI/ELECTROLA Grundig Sampler.

What's interesting...is that the Grundig album features a song by the group Roundhouse from their album Down To Earth , and they have a quad album which is not in the Quadraphonic Discography ? So pretty cool find , I think anyway.

View attachment 84515View attachment 84516View attachment 84517
Unique seating arrangement!

Out of curiosity I went looking for the Round House album and found Round House - Down To Earth (at high prices!) it has the same Order code as on your LP, but with a D not a Q at the end (no mention of Quad), so I wonder was the Quad ever released?
1665840907022.png
1665840941836.png

Unique seating arrangement!

Out of curiosity I went looking for the Round House album and found Round House - Down To Earth (at high prices!) it has the same Order code as on your LP, but with a D not a Q at the end (no mention of Quad), so I wonder was the Quad ever released?
View attachment 84532 View attachment 84533
Yeah Dunc, I did the same thoughts, I’d find a cheap one to try, but those prices put the Kibosh on that idea.
I’m thinking Fizzy may be wondering if it’s a single inventory Phantom Quad!

Back