What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to a head's up from @J. PUPSTER i was able to find an affordable Michael White Quad LP
1677702831233.png
Michael White - Father Music, Mother Dance

Easy way to tell. Play the record with thr front channels turned down. Switch back and forth between SQ 4.1, and Involve 4.1. Whichever gives you the most separation between those channels will tell you which system was used.
I`ll bet it`s QS I always found that if there is no indication of SQ then it`s QS ????
BBQ...
Yup, I say QS now.

The SQ is just too vague sounding with virtually no separation. In QS, the vocals are nicely Phantom centered up front with some minor bleed to the rears and what I believe an accordion mostly left rear; also orchestra mainly in rears in QS. Just what stood out on first listen ( was enjoying the music on the first listen and not trying to finely scrutinize yet.) Also, just had time to decode/rip ‘LADO A’ yesterday. Once I finish that and clean it up; I may down rez. it and attach one of the more active 20 second samples in both QS & SQ, for others to hear.
The majority of you folks that visit this thread (sadly, what, only about 45-50 members?); are way more experienced than I am on determining that sort of thing!

Yup, I say QS now.

The SQ is just too vague sounding with virtually no separation. In QS, the vocals are nicely Phantom centered up front with some minor bleed to the rears and what I believe an accordion mostly left rear; also orchestra mainly in rears in QS. Just what stood out on first listen ( was enjoying the music on the first listen and not trying to finely scrutinize yet.) Also, just had time to decode/rip ‘LADO A’ yesterday. Once I finish that and clean it up; I may down rez. it and attach one of the more active 20 second samples in both QS & SQ, for others to hear.
The majority of you folks that visit this thread (sadly, what, only about 45-50 members?); are way more experienced than I am on determining that sort of thing!
It's always possible to get something of a surround effect when using the wrong decoder, but I've used the technique I mentioned above to make a final determination. It hasn't failed me yet! Looks like it hasn't failed the Pupster, either. My guess is that, although Sansui didn't charge record companies to use their system, they did charge to use the QS logo on their album covers and labels. That's most likely why they didn't say it,

I haven't seen any of the Sony CD's, with the SQ logos on them. The SACD's, in the 7" packaged SACD's, they do have the SQ logo, but the CD layer isn't SQ-encoded. As for who has the rights to the SQ logo and system, I'm sure they let the patent expire by now. But Tate-Reber Productions, Gary Reber, in particular, reportedly bought out the rights from CBS. The Buddy Rich double CD set you mentioned, and which I have, refers to "Tate/SQ" on the cover. There was also a David Bowie laserdisc that bore that mention, too.

Oh I'm certain the SQ matrix is expired by now and for that matter any of the other matrices.

Now I love the look of that upcoming Japanese DSOTM SACD with the obi strip indicating RM quad.

Wouldn't it be nice if it really did include the Japanese RM as indicated ?

It's always possible to get something of a surround effect when using the wrong decoder, but I've used the technique I mentioned above to make a final determination. It hasn't failed me yet! Looks like it hasn't failed the Pupster, either. My guess is that, although Sansui didn't charge record companies to use their system, they did charge to use the QS logo on their album covers and labels. That's most likely why they didn't say it,

That's true , but it could also be one of the many variations of REGULAR MATRIX as was the case in Japan . And even Dynaquad ?

If QS makes it sound good go for it. Involve should decode most with little or no difference.

Wow! Just got this one in yesterday, and did side 1 conversion today so far, really impressed with this for a Classical title in SQ. :)

You really feel like you're in the middle of all this music in this historic Baroque church (university church-Kollegienkirche) situated in the historic city center of Salzburg, Austria.

It's definitely not just ambience in the rears!

For all you Classical cats out there; is there a discrete digital title of this one?

Here's some photos of the Church; and with this first photo (scanned from rear cover (poorly lit night time shot) you can see the layout of the recording..

https://www.discogs.com/release/762...ureum-Ireneu-Segarra-Missa-Salisburgensis-A-5
folder rear photo.jpg

My scanned front album cover-

folder.jpg

Kollegienkirche EXT. 1.jpg

Kollegienkirche INTERIOR 1.jpg

Kollegienkirche INTERIOR 2.jpg

That's true , but it could also be one of the many variations of REGULAR MATRIX as was the case in Japan . And even Dynaquad ?

If QS makes it sound good go for it.
It was my impression that all of these "variations" of RM were intended to be fully compatible with one another. That's why there's only one RM setting on most quad rreceivers.I wouldn't be surprised if most used Sansui encoders!

So this was posted by Clement not long ago and I remembered I had left a Tony Mottola at the Record Exchange in their Audiophile record section which is where they park all the quads.

I went there and came away with this:
https://www.discogs.com/release/3806681-Tony-Mottola-I-Only-Have-Eyes-For-You
And I also ended up with this:
https://www.discogs.com/release/16476843-Various-Serendipity
and this:
https://www.discogs.com/release/5051852-Dave-Mason-Its-Like-You-Never-Left
I also am a big sucker for test discs whether they are vinyl LPs or BluRays and EVERYTHING in between. So I got this sterero :
https://www.discogs.com/release/500...-Musical-Bass-Transient-Test-Record-Volume-llJeez I didn't even notice that this is a 45 rpm disc. :rolleyes:

and because back in the day I had a MicroAcoustics MA 2002 non magnetic cartridge (I think it was an electret condensor cartridge but I liked it)
I got this:
https://www.discogs.com/release/340...-Tracking-Ability-Stereo-Demonstration-RecordI am amazed that BMW never sued them over the use of the 2002 model number. Of course maybe they colluded in a cooperative marketing agreement.

The Record Exchange had multiple other test discs which I would have grabbed if funds were unlimited.

They really had a lot of classic LPs like Living Stereo , Mercury , and many other of the ones that were originally recorded on three channel. Fun to dig through. CD4s too. Fortunately I am immune to those.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back