What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piano : Bobby Short (DVD-Audio)

thanks and cuggles edisonbaggins 😍

7lEgkxL.jpg

Not that I've got a pile but I just took a punt on this greatest hits DVD featuring various love songs from the '70 and '80s (and the '90s even though it's only meant to be '70s and '80s). It states 5.1 surround sound on the back cover and although I'm not really expecting anything beyond a bit of reverb... maybe, just maybe there's a wee surround sound gem in there somewhere :)

Fwiw, the tracklisting is as follows:

01 10cc - I'm Not In Love
02 Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
03 Commodores - Three Times A Lady
04 Extreme - More Than Words
05 Style Council - You're The Best Thing
06 Kool And The Gang - Cherish
07 Dru Hill - How Deep Is Your Love
08 Will Downing/Mica Paris - Where Is The Love
09 Donna Summer - I Feel Love
10 Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love
11 Level 42 - Lessons In Love
12 Mica Paris - My One Temptation
13 Steve Windwood - Valerie
14 10cc - The Things We Do For Love
15 Black - Wonderful Life
16 Walker Bros - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
17 Commodores - Sail On
18 Thin Lizzy - Sarah

I guess I'll find out in a few days or so whether it's a keeper or whether it's a binner.

Not that I've got a pile but I just took a punt on this greatest hits DVD featuring various love songs from the '70 and '80s (and the '90s even though it's only meant to be '70s and '80s). It states 5.1 surround sound on the back cover and although I'm not really expecting anything beyond a bit of reverb... maybe, just maybe there's a wee surround sound gem in there somewhere :)

Fwiw, the tracklisting is as follows:

01 10cc - I'm Not In Love
02 Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
03 Commodores - Three Times A Lady
04 Extreme - More Than Words
05 Style Council - You're The Best Thing
06 Kool And The Gang - Cherish
07 Dru Hill - How Deep Is Your Love
08 Will Downing/Mica Paris - Where Is The Love
09 Donna Summer - I Feel Love
10 Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love
11 Level 42 - Lessons In Love
12 Mica Paris - My One Temptation
13 Steve Windwood - Valerie
14 10cc - The Things We Do For Love
15 Black - Wonderful Life
16 Walker Bros - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
17 Commodores - Sail On
18 Thin Lizzy - Sarah

I guess I'll find out in a few days or so whether it's a keeper or whether it's a binner.
Keep us posted Derek, track listing looks awesome.

Still waiting for my latest batch of D-Vs. But here's what I picked up on a recent trip to Academy Records in Manhattan:
  • Orff, Carmina Burana (Atlanta/Runnicles) (Telarc, 2001). The mix on Dutton's NYPO/Tilson Thomas reissue is way more adventurous, but the sonics on this one are cleaner, IMO. I've had a library copy checked out for over a year; happy to have one of my own.
  • Quinsin Nachoff, Magic Numbers (Songlines, 2006). One of a handful of Songlines MCH titles I didn't already have. Became acquainted with tenor saxophonist Nachoff earlier this year from his latest album on the English label Whirlwind, Path of Totality, with David Binney. Looking forward to hearing this.

View attachment 45420
Academy is wonderful - there's a separate section for SACDs in the corner of the front classical section, and almost all are $12 or less.

Piano : Bobby Short (DVD-Audio)

thanks and cuggles edisonbaggins 😍

7lEgkxL.jpg

I also just got one of these too.....also courtesy of @edisonbaggins !!! (Thank you, sir!)

I'm halfway through in right now. This thing is very nice. Piano in stereo up front. Vocal and trumpet in the center channel. Drum kit and guitar in the rear right. Upright bass in the rear left. If you like the old-school standards of your parents/grandparents' generation, you should dig this. And Baggy has more copies going cheap over on eBay. Bobby was an American treasure. I was lucky enough to see him perform once.
Grab a copy, you won't regret it.

Can we get a poll for this???

I also just got one of these too.....also courtesy of @edisonbaggins !!! (Thank you, sir!)

I'm halfway through in right now. This thing is very nice. Piano in stereo up front. Vocal and trumpet in the center channel. Drum kit and guitar in the rear right. Upright bass in the rear left. If you like the old-school standards of your parents/grandparents' generation, you should dig this. And Baggy has more copies going cheap over on eBay. Bobby was an American treasure. I was lucky enough to see him perform once.
Grab a copy, you won't regret it.

Can we get a poll for this???

Didn't know about this one--and didn't realize Baggy was selling a bunch. Headed over to eBay right now...! (Here's an equivocal review from Jazz Times, by the way. If you read past the reviewer's admitted prejudices, it sounds like it should be a terrific mix.)

Last edited:
At long last, I've completed by Depeche Mode studio SACD collection. 😀 It's taken awhile! Construction Time Again was the final title for me to secure, and while I paid a fairly hefty sum for it (~$70/US$46) I managed at the same time to snaffle the Paul Van Dyk Reflections SACD and Bryan Ferry Boys And Girls (surround) SACD, for similar prices. To quote Player One, "my hip pocket nerve is aching again" :LOL: These are well worth the outlay to me, though. Might give them a spin this weekend, once I've got all the Triple J out of my system. :cool:🍺

At long last, I've completed by Depeche Mode studio SACD collection. 😀 It's taken awhile! Construction Time Again was the final title for me to secure, and while I paid a fairly hefty sum for it (~$70/US$46) I managed at the same time to snaffle the Paul Van Dyk Reflections SACD and Bryan Ferry Boys And Girls (surround) SACD, for similar prices. To quote Player One, "my hip pocket nerve is aching again" :LOL: These are well worth the outlay to me, though. Might give them a spin this weekend, once I've got all the Triple J out of my system. :cool:🍺

Some very fine SACD'S. Black Celebration was my most expensive find. It's probably my favorite.

all great discs you got there, congrats! 🍻 feels good doesn't it! 👍

I just finished playing this music DVD featuring great love songs from the '70 and '80 (and '90s) and the results are in... it's stretched-out 5.1 DD stereo. Boooo!

But the good news is, it was a real blast watching some of those videos again as I hadn't seen them in pure ages, so a wee trip down memory lane mammary lane - sorry, that's memory lane, addicted to love is obviously still playing in my mind - sort of makes up for the artificial multichannel.

On a side note, when the hell did 'very good' become so bloody bad? The DVD was described as being in very good condition but the seller and I clearly have wildly different views about what constitutes very good as the disc had several significant scuffs and scratches so I think it'll be going for a refund.

Anyway, that's the end of my love affair with this particular release - it was lovely while it lasted...

417JSAZ30PL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Back